Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do Vibrams compare as far as durability goes? page

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member

How do Vibrams compare as far as durability goes?

Primal Fuel
    I'm somewhat curious how long Vibrams last considering how expensive they are...I know they aren't all that high...but I'm used to wearing shoes in the 20-50 dollar range. I've never had anything more expensive than 60.

I wouldn't want to spend 85-100 dollars for something that wears out faster than normal shoes if its substantially faster at least. I think it may be worth it depending on how much faster they wear out...or not? I can't really afford them right now anyway ..I'm jobless but have been thinking about them for when I do have a job.

I do however need shoes to use when I get a job and the ones buying them for me will probably not spend more than 60 dollars at the very most for shoes...probably more like 30-40 possibly 50 so does anyone have a good minimalist shoe option for that amount?

I'm also curious as to if people think prices will go down for VFFs anytime soon....as I'd rather buy them for 20-60 instead of 80-100...if I can help it.

I have one retailer of VFFs where I live called Run This Way in Texas..if anyone knows what brands they carry I figured that information might help to give me recommendations.

Thanks

Conner P. is offline Senior Member
    Fila skeletoes are similar at $50. I tried them but they didn't agree with my feet. They felt GREAT except for the sole under the ball of my foot was too thick for my feet (or it was just too far forward on my foot). But I would recommend giving them a try.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    3 months of walking about 90 minutes a day on concrete wore a hole in the ball of the foot of one of my KSOs.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    My KSO lasted just under a year of almost daily wear...going to market and hikes on weekends. I just got the TrekSport and they feel so much better on the trails.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

peril is offline Senior Member
    KSOs lasted me 6 weeks walking an hour a day on pavement. KSO treks last 3-4 months doing the same. They have all worn at the toes first. Might be my gait. Am now trying the Komodo Sport, hoping they will last longer. Thinking of just going barefoot before I go broke
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Thracion is offline Junior Member
    I have the Classics (2y) and the KSO Trek (1y). Both are in great shape, while I am using them actively (all day long) throughout the non-winter seasons. Recently ran with the Classics a half-marathon event and still fine.

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    I have had my KSOs for 2 years and so far they are holding up well. I mostly use them for running and doing yard work. So far I have been happy with the investment.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    My Sprints are coming up on a year soon, and they've been to my CrossFit classes three days a week, worn on walks and runs on pavement, and even to work for a while. They've also been up Mayan pyramids and swimming in cenotes in Mexico. I'm very happy with the durability, and they still look pretty good.

My Treks are about nine months old. I've worn them hiking in the Himalayas, walking all over India (not the gentlest terrain), on many hikes, and as day-to-day casual shoes here.

I recently bought some smartwool Classics, and they've become my casual shoes of choice. I wore them almost constantly on a recent trip to Ontario (including helping out on Ottawa marathon day, walking around Parliament Hill and the Museum of Civilization, exploring downtown Toronto, and all over the Muskokas), and last weekend in Vancouver, I wore them walking about 20 blocks each way (often multiple times a day, plus other wandering) from the backpackers hostel where I was staying down to the convention centre and back. Again, they are holding up wonderfully, and the soles look completely unworn.

I wonder if it's a person's gait that changed how well they wear? I am quite surprised when I read how short a time they last for some people because mine have been so durable.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

gordo is offline Senior Member
    It all depends on your form. I know a guy with over 2000 miles of running on a pair of Treks. Still no holes.

Gordo

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Maybe that's it. I walk very lightly and don't scuff my feet on the ground at all.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast