Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie here...and I feel weird... page 2

Queen of the Jungle is offline Junior Member

On my third day of low carb, I had a horrendous headache! The next morning, I felt fine.

Welcome!

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

Welcome!

I had a horrendous headache at the beginning, for a couple of days. I'm not sure if it was due to carb withdrawal, or because I started with a cold at the same time...

You will begin to feel better, though, very soon! And it is so worth it!

kam904s is offline Member

It takes a bit to get used to and, dependent on how sensitive your body was before, those laggy-not-quite-there feelings can last anywhere from a day to a few weeks. If jumping in with both feet isn't doing it for you, you can always take it a step at a time and start cutting back on the really bad carbs first and then scale down as you gain more confidence and feel better. Take it at your own pace!

(For example, I still haven't given up diet soda entirely.)

When I'm feeling super-laggy I indulge in something that's not strictly 100% primal but is still better for me than how I was eating before - an apple or melon, a square of dark chocolate, or some hard cheese. I'll also bolt a glass of ice-cold water to wake myself up or do some light squats/stretches. Finally, I find a really awesome treat is to super indulge in all the Primal food I felt GUILTY about before. I'll cook up an entire pack of bacon JUST BECAUSE I CAN!!! I might not eat it all right then but then it's already cooked and ready for primal snacking! Or I'll prep some meat for jerky or munch a handful of nuts! Nothing like nibbling some almonds while everyone around you is scarfing sickeningly sweet cake to put things in perspective. That cake smell of too much sugar actually turns my tummy now.

Either way, congrats on trying the primal lifestyle! You can do it!

FairyRae2 Guest

When I first dropped gluten (over a year and a half ago), I felt awful withdrawl like symptoms (similar to what you describe--kind of like I was in a headache-y fog) for a week, but I felt much better after. Dropping all grains and refined sugars not too long ago felt wonderful and had no side effects. I think it has a lot to do w/ dropping gluten personally--I think many folks have an almost physical 'addiction' to it...

I agree w/ other posters to keep going, this will pass, and you'll be better for it!!!

nina_70 Guest

I had massive headaches and "brain-fog" for about the 1st two weeks after dropping carbs, specifically bread. But...then it passed and now I feel absolutely fine.

In retrospect I might have gone slower on my carb-dropping...so, possibly adding-in more stuff (e.g. non-grain carbs) when I was feeling the brain-fog. But...then again, I just wanted to get over it. I DID find that upping my fat content helped, esp. saturated fat.

Brit is offline Junior Member

Well, I feel better! Not only from hearing from all of you, but I'm not feeling the "blah" as much. I'm really excited to see the fat loss then switch to the 100-150g of carb "maintenance"...which I hear takes a while to find the "zone".

Anyhow, I'm grateful for the support and advice! THANK YOU ALL!!!!

g2baker is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Brit, welcome! I'm new here too, almost 2 months - I had the same question when I started (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum....php?2639-Bonk!).

Low Carb Flu - I never thought of that and hadn't heard this term before, but that's exactly what I went through.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12