Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish Recipes? page

IndigoBanshee is offline Senior Member

Fish Recipes?

I just started, and we have some whitefish in the freezer I'd like to use since I have a temporary crown on and everything I eat needs to be pretty soft.

What are your favorite ways to prepare fish? I'm also making it for my father, who is a meat and potatoes sort of guy.

I'm curious about all types of fish, btw, but it will be whitefish I make tomorrow, and I'll let you know what I chose to do and how it turned out.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I like to wrap it in parchment paper with some veggies (whatever you want, but I usually use asparagus and chopped mushrooms), butter and minced garlic. You just toss it in the oven and unwrap it when it's done (I use a leave-in thermometer). The nice part is that you can make as little or as much as you want, and personalize each packet with whatever each person wants.

Fish En Papillote video

ETA: The video says the fish will take about 12 minutes in the oven, but it the thickness of the fish will make a huge difference.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    I've been making a lot of wild caught Alaskan salmon lately. This will work with any fish. It's awesome.

Simply sprinkle each side with salt, pepper and rosemary. Cook on medium-high in a dry pan 3 minutes on each side. Squeeze a large lime wedge over each side as it cooks.

That's it! I made it my carb refeed meal with corn tortillas. Maybe not optimally primal, but I needed starch for my post workout meal and wanted something that went great with my 1 pound salmon fillet. Try it without the tortillas for low carbers (I haven't had corn in 3-4 months and I'm testing how my body reacts to it)! It goes fantastic with fresh pico de gallo and cilantro.

Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

So I tried fish en papillotte with butter, bok choy, garlic, and some lime slices. Something was up with the fish, because when I opened it, it was cooked fine, but literally half the size. I dunno if they pumped it full of water or what. I bought it at the Korean market, so I think I'm going to stick to the fish counter at the regular grocery store from now on. We ended up adding some sardines (in water), to make up the difference.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I pan sear w soy sauce and lemon juice and sprinkle on some nuts because I need some crunchy with my mushy.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    I'm making fish 'n' chips today! The fry batter is potatoes, eggs and baking powder + seasoning. Really looking forward to the result; let me know if you want to know about the outcome.

Monty is offline Senior Member
    I recently made a soup by accident. Wasn't sure what to do with some tilapia fillets. Cooked fillets in butter in a pan and removed when done. Then cut up some red and yellow peppers and seared those for a while. Added heavy cream, and I think a little bit of cheese to thicken. Let that boil. Added some vodka (not really necessary, but why not). Let that cook for a while. Added some spaghetti sauce to make it a little pinkish sauce. Added fish back in. Pretty damn tasty without much else. Very sweet with the peppers.

Chasintrail is offline Senior Member
    For white fish I've been butter "poaching" lately. Melt a big hunk of butter in a skillet (enough to come at least half way up the filet). Put filets in over very low heat (just over low on my gas range). Turn over once during cooking, take them out when opague and flaking (5 minutes+ per side depending on thickness.

You can add garlic, wine, herbs, scallions, whatever sounds good to the buter first.

Comes out nice and moist, great for very lean fish like tilapia

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Bake it! Look at some Italian recipes - one I do often is simply cover it with a can of plum tomatoes, a softened onion, some garlic, some chopped black olives and top with buffalo mozzerella. You're on dairy, right? Damn right! Buffalo mozzerella is fantatsic(o)! Serve with something green like kale or spinach.

Here's a snap of one I did recently:

The green in the ramekin is kale and cockles with a good knob of butter melting in.

If you're a bit "cheffy" about it you can do it like this:

... just lay sliced tomato and some cheese over and bake. Serve with potatoes boiled in bouillon for your father, as above.
    Last edited by pjgh; 06-28-2011 at 04:01 PM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Mmmmm....those look delicious, pjgh!

And to everyone else, I bought a whole bunch of (better quality) whitefish and I look forward to trying everyone's suggestions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast