Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "bread" for grilled cheese? page

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

I have been really wanting some buttery grilled cheese go to with my hot buttery tomato juice "soup"... and was wondering if anyone had a recipe that would work for me.

I know there are coconut flour breads that people use for sandwiches... would these work to butter and fry in a pan with cheese, then dip in soup? or would they be weird? I've never made them before so I have no experience with it.

Thanks in advance! Recipes welcome!

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

hmm... i have some coconut bread in the oven now. never made it before so i'm not sure if it's right or not.. the "batter" seemed REALLY thick to me. But we'll see what happens.

Even if it doesn't work for grilled cheese hopefully it will be good for a snack here and there.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Mr B Guest

This isn't a 'sandwich' idea, but this post made think of it.

I wanted some fried cheese the other (like cheese sticks), but since I'm doing the "carnivore" thing as experiment I didn't want use to any kind of flour.

So...just put some butter into skillet on high heat, rubbed some seasoning on some strips of cheddar and plopped 'em in there. turned frequently on all sides and kind of crisped an outer later of the cheese.

was pretty damn tasty.

yeah i've done cheese crisps in the oven before... really good.

your thing sounds good too.

<hr />

So I made the "bread"... it really didn&#39;t rise much if at all, so it was very short and dense. So I cut off a couple slices and they were more like sticks than slices of bread... in shape i mean. I toasted them in a pan with butter and melted some cheese on one side, but i burned the bottom while i waited for the cheese to melt so i had to cut off the toasty bottom part.

They were... fine. dipped in the soup and stuff. But nothing special and probably not something I&#39;d replicate after I use up this loaf.

But I&#39;m full and relatively satisfied, so there it is.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I saw something somewhere... oopsie cakes or something like that. They&#39;re made mostly of egg, but seem to work great as bread, for hot dog buns and stuff like that.

That&#39;s one winter meal I really miss. Tomato soup and grilled ham & cheese.

oh yeah... i forgot about those for a bit. but they seem like so much work with the egg separating and mixing in separate bowls and folding and whatnot, but it might be worth it if it would work for grilled cheese.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

As rarely as I actually *want* to eat bread-like substances, it might be worth the work for a treat. I guess you can make a huge batch and freeze the extra though. That could make it worth it.

yeah.... but i&#39;ve read that if you fridge/freeze them they tend to get sticky or stick together or something...

and i can&#39;t imagine that something that is MOSTLY egg would absorb butter enough to toast up into good grilled cheese.

hey DR i&#39;m watching mythbusters and there&#39;s a dog named Jazzy.

They were going to put her in the microwave but then decided that was a myth they just couldn&#39;t test. hahahaha.

maba is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

The coconut bread I made based on Sassa&#39;s recipe was more like pound cake in texture. I would toast it in a toaster - it made it crumbly though and the slice would fall apart in the toaster sometimes - and eat it with butter/ghee and top it w/ curry. Not perfect and nowhere close to bread in texture, but definitely delicious. I made another loaf recently and added Indian spices to it and it made for a yummy savory snack.

Robert Nikoley of Free the Animal, has an almond flour bread recipe on his blog that he used for a sandwich/burger.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast