Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spinner's *Back to it-post baby* Journal page

Spinner is offline Senior Member

Spinner's *Back to it-post baby* Journal

Welllll I am back at it!

2 days in and feeling really good about coming back. See, I was following the PB last year and lo and behold got pregnant 3 months into following this WOL/WOE after trying for 6 years and being told we couldn't conceive and wow. Had my beautiful baby boy in March and it is time to get back into the swing of things.

Other than having some bed rest, my pregnancy went really well. My blood sugars were well controlled and my A1c went down to 6. Rock on! My ob and diabetes doc were THRILLED and I was given the go ahead to TTC come December, since we want the bean to have a sibling. Our other 2 are 17 and 16 and we would really like him to have one, don't want him to feel that he is alone in the world.

Like I said, been back to PB the past 2 days. Baked eggs for brekkie both days with sauteed vegg baked in with the eggs, BAS for lunch both days--although note to self, need more veggies to mix in--and baked chicken last night with a sweet potato and vegg for dinner, night before, salad with hard boiled eggs and much veggies and an olive oil dressing. Decided to come back mid paycheck, so will be waiting till this next week to fill in the PB holes to PB perfection, so lots of eggs and salads between now and then! I am shooting for 90-100% primal, Dh probably 80%, and the kids the same. I would like everyone to go 100% primal, but might be a fight on that one, and since my stepson is only here on the weekends, I can only control what he eats here, to some extent. He is big on sandwiches and pasta, but dh told him that last weekend was the last day of pasta here, since it really threw my blood sugar way outta wack the next morning. I worked so hard to get it down, I just can't let it go up again.

Plus, I want to raise up the bean in a primal household. The older 2 will be out and gone before too much longer, and we don't have all that much control over what they do, eating wise, other than having primal foods here at the house. The best we can do is set a good example. The Bean will be getting homemade baby foods, which he won't start till 6 months. I am having some issues with breast feeding, my supply isn't what I would like it to be, so he is getting supped, but I would really like to get back on it all the way. So I will be eating oats and the lactation cookies I have read about, as well as herbs to bring up my supply.

So, on to today--
    B-- 3 scrambled eggs in butter with a bit of sharp cheddar, 1/2 decaf 1/2 reg coffee with cream.

No lunch but a few bites of chicken

D-- BAS for dinner with left over chicken, romaine, spinach and baby greens, cucumbers, broccoli, snap peas and green beans, red bliss potato. Need to get more produce--hopefully that will happen tomorrow. Homemade ranch dressing--sour cream, mayo, a bit of cream to thin, oregano, basil dill and garlic, touch mustard and fresh cracked black pepper... yum!
    Last edited by Spinner; 06-26-2011 at 07:12 PM.
    Every day is another stitch in the quilt of life.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
    me--Post pregnancy --mama to a beautiful baby boy--
    273.4/269.3/115
    Hubby--230/227.8/165

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Welcome back!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome back and congratulations!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

@belinda and Hedonist--thanks for the warm welcome back!!

Happy anniversary to me, Happy anniversary to me! lol today is Dh's and my anniversary!! Here is to many more happy Primal-rific years together! lol!!

Breakkie was late since the Bean fell asleep on my chest about 7 am after his first breakfast and I woke up at 10:30! good heavens!! Hubby made me breakfast, which was really sweet but I wanted to make him breakfast! lol I will have to surprise him with it one morning when he isn't expecting it. With the bean, even though things have been touch and go with the breastfeeding and having to sup with formula (boo hiss) I do kangaroo with him a lot and he often falls asleep on my chest listening to my heart.

DD is off to start Tae kwan Do this evening!! Yipeee! We have been trying to get her there for a while now, and Papa just swept her up and took her off to class! It is pretty cool because her instructor trained in Korea, was a Pan American and Olympic competitor and follows a more traditional way of teaching--the belts are given on merit NOT time spent in the school, which has been really hard to find where we are. Most schools around here seem to be more focused on how fast they can get the students to a black belt. Dh and I did Okinawan style Karate (think the original Karate Kid--wax on, wax off) and our sensei was pretty strict with us and it was a traditional school and we have been looking for a similar school for her. Quite excited to hear how it went when she gets home--of course, home to a Primal dinner! Curried Meatballs, roasted broccoli and sweet potatoes!

B-- 3 scrambled eggs with sharp cheddar, oatmeal bread toast and decaf coffee with cream

S--Palm full of almonds, 6 slices cucumber with homemade ranch dressing 1 qt water

D--Will be curry meatballs (from everyday paleo) roasted broccoli and sweet potatoes. I am going to use butter and schmaltz from the chicken the other night to make the sauce for the meatballs as well as the left over chicken-y jello juices. Love it when they go all jiggly like that.
    Last edited by Spinner; 06-27-2011 at 05:35 PM.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
    273.4/269.3/115
    Hubby--230/227.8/165

OMG those meatballs last night were awesome!!! Next time I will be trying Mark's with the liver and all, but wow the ones from Everyday Paleo were sure good--Dh loved them and DD ate 3, so that was good. The sauce was really good made with the chicken fat and the stock left over from the chicken the other night. I made the chicken in the crock pot--just put the chicken in the pot with a couple cut up onions and some seasoning and let it go. No water, made it's own juices, and that is what I used last night Yummo!!

This morning I am going to tuck into a couple made into meaty ball hash--just sounds really good. A couple meatballs, some left over sweet potato--I ended up chunking them up and roasting them with the broccoli, a bit of onion and some spinach, topped with a couple poached eggs. Bean boy has been awake since about midnight, so I will be enjoying (hopefully) an mid morning nap! He dozed lightly from midnight till 3, was up from 3 till just a bit ago when he FINALLY drifted off and started snoring. I think life is far to interesting to him right now and sleeping is a waste of time! However, Mama would like a bit of sleep Sure am loving having the bean boy though--nothing more precious then those smiles in the middle of the night and the cooing and 'talking' that he is doing.

So... before he wakes up--off to make breakkie--be back soon!

B-- Curried meatball hash with 2 poached eggs was pretty rockin! Very rich so probably done till lunch or probably even dinner! Sauteed spinach was a nice foil for the curry and all. Hash was made from 4 meatballs, small handful of roasted sweet potato chunks, diced, some of the left over curry sauce, a couple handfuls of spinach and 2 2.5 minute poached eggs. Yum!

S-- 2 meatballs with 3 florets of roasted broccoli. Just too good to pass up! Just ate them cold with some of the sauce. Feel like going for a walk, might just do that when dh gets home since it is cooler today. Load the bean up and go with dh and the pup!

D-- taco salad with mixed greens and spinach, beef, tomatoes, avocado, cheese and sour cream

Yep, we ended up going for a walk and it was really nice... after sunset so it was really cooling down and we have rain on the way so it made it very nice for walking. Hoping for a repeat tomorrow!
    Last edited by Spinner; 06-28-2011 at 11:42 PM.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
    273.4/269.3/115
    Hubby--230/227.8/165

I was going to add this to the my last post, but I thought I would write here--

I am a type 1 diabetic--diagnosed as a latent type 1 back in December of 07. Thought I had the flu and went in to the dr and he tested my blood sugar and it was 596, tested my antibodies and they were 69.7--way diabetic. I was a happy 140 lbs (having worked my way down from 350 over a decade with no medical assistance) and I was put on insulin and I gained like 10 pounds in a week, 30 in a month and up I went. So I have been struggling since to get my weight off, and I found Primal last year. Lost a bit, then after 3 months, got pregnant as I have stated before. Before I was pregnant, I has having serious issues getting my A1c down to a place my Endo and I were happy. During the first 2 months of my pregnancy, I managed to drop my A1c from 9 to 6! Everyone was quite pleased with my numbers.

After bean boy was born, my Endo told me that he would be happy if I could keep my A1c between 7 and 7.5. Well, it started out really well but has crept up and I was starting to feel like garbage. Ya see, if my numbers get high, I ache, almost like as if I have the flu and it is not pleasant. This is one of the reasons why I was driven back to Primal. Part of it too was my husband was doing a lot of the cooking... ok most of it! during my last month or so of pregnancy and during the first few months, so it was easy 'guy' stuff--lots of hamburger helper and trending towards pizzas and such. At least I convinced him to get thin crust! Needless to say, my nice low numbers were trending up and I was having to take more insulin--not my idea of a good time! Once I was back up on my feet and in the kitchen I decided I really needed to grab the proverbial bull by the horns and we discussed where we were going to go food wise. Dh and I kept coming back to Primal and dh kept commenting how much better he felt following PB and so that prompted our return.

Ok... Point of the post--I just had to share with you that Primal is whipping my blood sugars into shape. I have to report that since yesterday afternoon, my blood sugar has been steady between 120 and 162, with a 'high' of 180, which was before breakfast, and all I had had was coffee with cream. For me, this is pretty dang awesome, since I have the tendency to have serious highs in the morning--we are talking mid to upper 200's, and these numbers have me firmly in my good range, and my daily average at 154. If I am able to maintain this, my A1c will in the 6's post pregnancy, which would rock! I have tested my blood sugar 7 times in 24 hours and it is sitting steady--I did test it over night, since I was up with the bean boy and I was curious what being up all night would do to it, since it does rise for me, over night.

So rock on with my bad self **happy dance** hopefully this trend will hold and all with be good! Which will mean less damage to my eyes, kidneys, nerves... my mom was a type 1 as well and did not take care of herself and ended up blind and an amputee and that scares the living daylights out of me and I have a huge drive to 1 get my weight off and 2 have excellent numbers.

Oh on the insulin usage side--should anyone be interested--I carb count--1 unit of fast acting insulin per 5 grams of carb, with a correction of 1 unit for every 30 points that I am over my optimum number. I also take a long acting insulin, twice a day, 25 units each. Plus, if I can keep it at an even level, it is far better for me than if it has wild swings which is actually worse then being at a steady high. See it is the swings of highs to lows that causes damage, more so than having high numbers or low numbers all the time, although having highs is bad. Make sense? But I want low numbers, because I feel better that way. And hopefully, I will be able to bring myself down into the range of 90-140. THAT would rock! But I will take the steady 150s for right now!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Last edited by Spinner; 06-28-2011 at 08:12 PM.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
    273.4/269.3/115
    Hubby--230/227.8/165

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Wow, congrats with keeping the blood sugar in line! That's super encouraging and a great incentive. Plus you're gonna look bangin' in a couple of months
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Thanks otter! I am doing really well with keeping it down--it does swing high in the afternoon, but it is only just once a day--could be my liver detoxing all the sugars that are stored in it. For the most part, it is running between 85 and 165. Pretty rockin!! I have also started walking at least once a day, a mile at a time. We live near a high school so we avail ourselves of the track--1/4 mile to walk there, 2 laps around the track, and back home. AND this weekend, I am starting Tae Kwan Do! DD really likes it, and dh was telling the instructor about our past history with Karate and that I really want to get back at it (dh was 3rd kyu and I was 5th when we stopped) and the instructor told him he expects me there on Saturday! He teaches the sports style, not the trick one. LOL I would hate to see me trying to do a butterfly kick at the weight I am! lol. My step son goes to a Tae Kwan Do school that focuses on all the tricks and I am not interested in that. I like the harder forms.

Bean boy has been seriously needing Mama the past few days and his sleep has been all messed up so I haven't posted my meals--put they have all been primal! Last night I made a pizza clafouti that I have made in the past--soooo yummy--sausage, eggs, coconut milk, mushrooms, spinach, onions, olives and just a sprinkle of cheese--if interested in my recipe--just send me a note! Makes 8 servings/portions in a 9x13 pan

I had one piece for dinner last night along with steamed veggies--broccoli, carrots and snap peas w/butter. YUM!! Had another piece for my breakfast this morning with the left over veg. WOULD LOVE ANOTHER PIECE but I will wait till lunch and then we will finish it for dinner. Me eating another piece is old me behavior so I am pretty happy that I will wait.

B-- 1/8 of a pan of pizza clafouti, broccoli, carrots and snap peas. Coffee w cream

L & D-- More clafouti. All gone now! Really love that--next time, hot sausage!
    Last edited by Spinner; 07-01-2011 at 08:54 PM.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
    273.4/269.3/115
    Hubby--230/227.8/165

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Pizza Clafouti? Duuuuuudde, you have to post that recipe here!

I did TKD for a few years (2nd dan), but quit when roller derby started taking up all my time. what's sports style? We were ITF (not olympic style) and I really liked sparring except there was never anybody in my age class so I got put in with the teenagers.
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey otter!

The TKD we are going to do is Olympic--Dh used 'sport type' to define it from the TKD that my step son is taking, which is all trick stuff. His school also spars sooo padded up that they can't feel it so use full force punches. Back in the dark ages, when dh and I were at our dojo, we were taught to pull our punches during sparing and we spared with out gear, although dh remembers knuckle guards for the upper belts, but that was it. SS wears a helmet, knee pads, shin guards, chest pad, elbow pad, mouth guard... shoot, with all that gear on, I wouldn't be able to move! Plus, the school can't make up its mind if it is TKD or MMA.

Pizza Clafouti-- sooo rockin!

1lb Italian sausage.. I have used mild, gonna try hot next time!
    9 eggs
    1 can coconut milk
    9T butter melted and cooled
    Sugar free Spaghetti Sauce--I like Classico's Tomato and Basil
    Assorted pizza toppings--I used spinach, mushrooms, onions, olives and a sprinkle of cheese.

Preheat oven to 400. Grease a 9x13 baking pan--I usually toss a couple T of butter in the pan and pop it in the oven to melt and then swirl it around. Works for me! Brown Italian sausage, remove from pan and let cool. Into pan with sausage drippings, saute veg in batches. In large bowl, combine eggs, coconut milk, and melted butter. Stir in cooked sausage and pour into prepped baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and spread 1/2 jar of sauce over cooked egg mixture, and top with toppings. Pop back in oven for 10 minutes. Remove and let cool 10-15 minutes before cutting and serving. Really awesomely good--and I topped the pieces the next day with additional sauce.

Let me know what you think!! Oh and I get 8 good sized pieces, although you could go bigger or smaller, depending on what your needs are. Really good with a salad. I also eat the left overs cold, re heated eggs get rubbery--at that point consider it more like a crust-less quiche.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
    273.4/269.3/115
    Hubby--230/227.8/165

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast