Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Journey of Katemary page 2

katemary is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    S: 7 hrs ish

B: large black coffee
    L: 3 lamb skewers (not too sure of the seasoning), half roast potato with teaspoon sour cream and chives, roast tomato, spinach and bacon salad
    another large back coffee
    D: 1/4 barbq chicken (mmm - the skin!), half small avocado, handful of peas with splash mint sauce

I know the peas aren't primal (esp with mint sauce) but it was instead of caving into potatoes or gravy.

E: home late. but

I think next week I am going to embark on a "couch to 5k" jogging training programme. I am not going to jog fast or hard, and I am not aiming to do chronic cardio, I just need structure or a programme to commit to, so I will move. I respond well to challenges. I think the first week is 30 s jog, 90 s walk, for 30 mins three times a week, and the jogging component increases. Who knows, maybe I will like it.

here it is, if anyone knows of a better programme for a couch sloth, pls let me know
    Cool Running | The Couch-to-5K Running Plan

I plan to do sprints on Sundays. I will dig up my handweights too. That is the plan.
    Last edited by katemary; 07-07-2011 at 04:09 AM.

God I am useless. So much for clean slate.

Friday morning meeting with client and they suggested we have our coffee at a 'chocolate shop'. I stuck with a latte, but then another work meeting for lunch and I was driving myself crazy dreaming about the menu the hour beforehand - creamy pesto chicken penne, hamburger, schntizel and chips, bangers and mash. anyway, I decided on steak sandwich and to not have the bun but then at the time it would have been weird to dissect my food so ate it and then the carb cravings kicked in. Bar of chocolate in afternoon, massive wine and pizza night...anyway, I haven't gone crazy but I now have to start fresh tomorrow. and the "start next Monday" cycle begins again. You'd think I could at least stick to a dry July? No, I am useless...

Solldara is offline Senior Member
    Hi - I wouldn't beat yourself up too much, you just need to reread the book (or read it for the first time if you haven't already) and then just associate more bad things happening if you eat the junk, ie you'll get fat, you'll feel awful, you'll be disappointed in yourself, than you associate good things with actually eating them ie the sweet taste - tastes nice. Having things that also "taste nice" that you can eat also helps, as if you have some of these every day you never actually get the cravings building up - I use Strawberries and 85% Chocolate for this.

I was actually tempted the other day to buy a "normal" chocolate bar. I used to eat around 6-10 of them when I started to binge which was most days at the end. This temptation faded dramatically when I worked out I could have 100g of 85% Chocolate and 400g of Strawberries for the same carbs as one small bar.

Getting a bottle of water and an omlette or salad is normally doable in these places and would allow you to stay on plan without eating carbs to derail you - just promise yourself strawberries when you get home. After the first couple of weeks it gets easy but until then your "I just has one bite, or I had a few" is actually making things far harder for yourself than you need to.

Thanks Solldara - you are right. I need to get some berries!

Though part of the reason for journalling this time is so I can reflect on how great I feel when I am on track and how disappointed I am in myself when I fail..

S: 6 hrs
    B: black coffee. large.
    L: salmon with heaps of rocket and lemon.
    black coffee. large,
    D: massive plate of brocollini, cauliflower, asparagus and brussel sprouts fried/steamed in bacon fat with fatty lamb cutlets.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Katemary, the common thread I get from reading your journal is that you feel you are a failure if you get off track. That mindset will derail any attempt at success you might have. Instead, think of it as a temporary blimp in learning a new way of eating. Did you go from crawling to walking on the first try?

My weight loss was going nowhere until I upped my fat intake. Started with olive oil shots (how do people do that?) and now put coconut oil in my morning coffee. Also, I no longer use 1% milk in my coffee, I use half and half. I might even move that up to heavy cream. One thing that helped me kick the wine habit is using a smaller glass. Over time I am happy with a very small amount. I measured what goes in that glass and it is a quarter cup. Now that wine is a treat versus when I would polish off the whole bottle.

The hardest thing for me has been divorcing everything I "knew" form CW thinking all these years. Going from 'fat is bad' to 'fat is good' took a leap of faith. Have faith, you CAN do this!

Honeybuns, yes, I guess that is accurate. My absence after last entry reflects another blip in the journey.

I think I need to ease in slowly. I know I have done it very strictly before, but I think my attempt to eliminate everything AND watch calories (reduce) is causing me to derail, esp since last time I did up the fats. I can't do everything.

I think I will ditch the alcohol and grains and processed food this week, and not worry about the dairy or calories right now.

I am roasting a whole stack of veg to add to my greens and meat during the week, I put cocount oil, salt and pepper, thyme, rosemary and crushed (fresh) garlic in a bag and tossed the cut up pumpkin, onion, beetroot etc in it before roasting. Fresh garlic may have been a mistake - its been 10 minutes and stinks so strongly.............

Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    Katemary, the common thread I get from reading your journal is that you feel you are a failure if you get off track. That mindset will derail any attempt at success you might have. Instead, think of it as a temporary blimp in learning a new way of eating. Did you go from crawling to walking on the first try?

My weight loss was going nowhere until I upped my fat intake. Started with olive oil shots (how do people do that?) and now put coconut oil in my morning coffee. Also, I no longer use 1% milk in my coffee, I use half and half. I might even move that up to heavy cream. One thing that helped me kick the wine habit is using a smaller glass. Over time I am happy with a very small amount. I measured what goes in that glass and it is a quarter cup. Now that wine is a treat versus when I would polish off the whole bottle.

The hardest thing for me has been divorcing everything I "knew" form CW thinking all these years. Going from 'fat is bad' to 'fat is good' took a leap of faith. Have faith, you CAN do this!
    +1
    I bolded the part that is really the hardest thing for me to accept. I go through a lot of self doubt on upping my fat intake.

Like honeybuns said - don't beat yourself up!
    7/4/11: 42-38-43
    8/3/11: 41-37-42
    11/27/11: 41-36-41
    Goal: 38-32-36

Thanks guys

S: 7 hrs
    B: black coffee - large
    L: chicken shop - chicken breast with skin and wing to nibble on, various roast veg, ignored the potato
    D: lamb chops with garlic and herb salt plus 'lamb spices', reheated the roast pumpkin, beetroot and onion in all the lamb fat with asparagus
    eating 2 strawberries now...

E: (to complete once done)

I went to the dentist today. My gums have been bleeding for ages but too lazy to look into it (and I hate the dentist). Funnily enough caught part of a Dr Oz episode where he was talking about preventative health and top steps, and he mentioned flossing to pick up gum bleeding because of the massive inflammatory response that creates. I know inflammation is a bit part of what primal is aiming to control, so it caught my attention and made me put my dental health up the top of the to do list. Damn plaque removal hurts! Need another session next week, but its nice to know I am healing an obvious site of inflammation.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    I have found that eating Primal, or not eating processed foods, that I have little to no plaque. Even the dental hygenist wanted to know what I was doing different.

Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    I have found that eating Primal, or not eating processed foods, that I have little to no plaque. Even the dental hygenist wanted to know what I was doing different.
    That's interesting - I would love it if I didn't have to go through that again. I was wondering what people did pre-dentist - the fact we are advised to go yearly for plaque removal in itself implies no matter how good your dental hygiene, you will get plaque that needs to be removed yearly.

I also found it interesting I have been told to stop using toothpaste all week - yesterday he removed as much plaque as possible but he said the inflammed gums need to settle and then he can remove more next week. He implied the lack of tootpaste would assist reduce inflammation. I have to say the soft brushing with warm water feels great...or that may just be the absence of plaque!

S: 6 hrs
    B: spinach, 2 poached eggs, grilled tomatoes - large coffee black
    L: garlic and lemon chicken, garlic and lemon potatoes, bit of salad - peppermint tea
    D: out - veal with creamy mushroom and ham sauce with potato, beans and carrot. not great but still pretty primal. 2 strawberries

E: does pretty athletic and energetic sex count? lol

I wonder if the no toothpaste, garlic for lunch and exercise, is a great combo!....oh well...
    Last edited by katemary; 07-19-2011 at 06:49 AM. Reason: add coffee, tea and strawberries...

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast