Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 Week of IF to overcome a plateau. page 2

trippplez is offline Member
    Shop Now
    So, it works for you then ... we want photos before-after

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootneck View Post
    Ok I have done 3 days of dinner 2 dinner IFing and I have dropped another %1 BF. I enjoyed the IF and did it with no issues at all, so for the next 7 days I will build in a 16 hr daily IF pattern, approximate 2100 - 1300hrs and I will do below 100gm carbs daily for that period and see what happens? I think my main hurdle to the last of my fat loss has been fruit? As I eat a hell of a lot!!! so no fruit for 7 days.

Update in seven days... Current BF 11%ish
    Yes, that 50 kcal apple is really going to hinder your progress.

Less calories will make you lose weight, more calories will make you gain weight.

Meat is offline Junior Member
    IFing is magical in that you get the benefits of increased levels of catecholamines and GH in the fasted state (when glucagon is dominant over insulin).

Fasted caloric deficit is better than fed caloric deficit in that the hormones present during fasting better spare muscle. IFing, adequate protein intake, and lifting heavy stuff spares muscle while in caloric deficit, as determined by a bunch of studies I'm too lazy to find.

We know that adequate protein intake and putting tension on muscle spares a lot of muscle. But we also know that throwing in some IF spares more. Again, this is due to the presence of hormones that wouldn't otherwise be there.

Yes, one needs to be in caloric deficit to lose weight, but insulin inhibits lypolysis, and eating stuff plays a pretty large role in insulin production. If you want to lose weight, restrict your calories. If you want to lose fat while sparing every last fiber of your muscle, IF.

To anyone considering it, don't be afraid to give it a shot. I'm doing it and think it's pretty sweet. Do you have a band-aide? Cause I'm cut. Seriously, though, I think it has helped.
    Last edited by Meat; 07-04-2011 at 12:56 AM.
    Lift for strength, run for speed, eat for health.

TerpsPwn_387 is offline Member
    Good Job!! Good to know it works.

Can you see the results in the mirror? I have have a couple party weekends in a row for friend's grad parties/birthdays so I may have gained a bf %. I had planned to implement some IF days for the next 2 weeks before I go to the beach.

Hunt3R is offline Member
    Wow. really? Everyone here is agreeing on this too? I thought this was the primal blueprint forum, not the conventional wisdom forum. Has anyone ever read anything by Taubes?

I would argue that calorie restriction causes nothing more than starvation. Restricting calories will not aid a person in losing weight and conversely eating more calories will not cause a person to gain weight. If you accept the belief that reducing your daily caloric intake will cause weight loss, then what do you do at the end of your diet? You go back to eating the same calories right? Then how does that weight not come back? And if it does, what can you do other than just keep reducing calories, right? People do not get fat because they eat too much, but they do tend to eat too much because they are fat or because they get a lot of exercise or even because of a health issue affecting their hormones. Just generally eating less to lose weight is setting yourself up for failure.

To the OP, you haven't described much about your diet here but you sound like you've been +100g carbs on average, and all from fruit, so my suggestion would be that you cut your high sugar intake to maybe a max of 2 servings of fruit a day for now, and don't eat any sugar from anything else! Not sure what kinds of fruit you're eating but it sounds like you could have a huge fructose intake and fructose, being a toxic chemical to the human body, is sent to the liver to immediately start converting it to fat, the only non-toxic substance our body knows, which can then be safely stored as adipose tissue. Maybe that's the only reason behind your plateau? And since you also sound like you're extremely active you'll prolly need to get carbs from "safe" starch sources instead, like root veggies or maybe some white rice (100% glucose). To see weight loss though you may want to experiment with very low carb days <80 carbs, and mostly from starches. Some people will claim they see the most weight loss when they go thru carb eating cycles. So you could also experiment with days of 100+ carbs, though still mostly from starches. Personally, I find that eating very low carb works best for me and focusing on mostly meat for a high protein and high fat intake makes me very lean. I easily maintain single digit bodyfat (I've tested below 5% before) by eating high fat, moderate protein, low carb, and little to no sugar.

As for IF, it's not about restricting calories and I don't see it as a tool for weight loss. IF is a tool for making your body healthier and you have to be careful to not starve yourself when you fast regularly. I fast for 16hrs everyday but I still eat 2-4 meals in that 8hr feeding window (around 2500-3000 calories) and I eat until Im satisfied. I go to bed stuffed full every night. But I could just as easily wake up and eat a huge breakfast every morning (of the right types of foods) and still maintain (or lose) weight and lean out. My point is, if you're not seeing the weight loss that you expect, then take a deeper look at what type of food you're eating and worry less about eating too much. If you are healthy, and you're eating the right foods, eat until you're satisfied and your body will take care of the rest.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    IF didn't help me to lose BF, but I find it easier to maintain weight and hunger levels with it.

Anyone who doubts the first law of thermodynamics and its applicability to our metabolism should simply stop eating food and see what happens (I'm thinking a cross between Screech and fat bastard).

The reason everyone is overweight is because of overeating (Damn you, Gary Taubes). I know. It sounds crazy.

If you reduce carb intake, you increase satiety through meat (protein) consumption, which is awesome. That's why lowering carb intake is useful in leaning out. If you stop eating a bunch of calorie-dense processed crap, it's going to be hard to overeat. It's also the reason vegans are always scrawny, angry people. They lack the satiety of a proper, gentlemanly meat-based existence.

If you think you can sit around and do shots of heavy cream with your poker friends and still look like Rocky, I congratulate you for being outside, and not subject to, the laws of nature.

The science of IFing is legit, and it's worth a shot.
    Last edited by Meat; 07-04-2011 at 10:22 AM.

Hunt3R is offline Member
    Jean Mayer was a well known nutritionist who once said "Obesity, too many people believe, is explained by overeating; actually it should be recognized that this is simply restating the problem in a different way, and reaffirming (somewhat unnecessarily) one's faith in the First Law of Thermodynamics. To 'explain' obesity by overeating is as illuminating a statement as an 'explanation' of alcoholism by chronic overdrinking."

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt3R View Post
    Jean Mayer was a well known nutritionist who once said "Obesity, too many people believe, is explained by overeating; actually it should be recognized that this is simply restating the problem in a different way, and reaffirming (somewhat unnecessarily) one's faith in the First Law of Thermodynamics. To 'explain' obesity by overeating is as illuminating a statement as an 'explanation' of alcoholism by chronic overdrinking."
    But that doesn't negate the validity of the statement that without alcohol one wouldn't be an alcoholic. If we were on a forum for alcoholics trying to get on the good foot, I don't think we'd promote the idea that alcohol isn't what's driving alcoholism, as if it were ok for those folks to continue getting hammered. They need to stop boozing, no matter what initially inspired them to hop right off that wagon.

A lot of people are asking why people eat to excess. It's a nice way to sell books.

People eat too much cause food is awesome. I'd love to dive into a chocolate cake right this instant, but I don't want to be a fatty. My body isn't producing fat-generated hormone signals that tell me to eat chocolate cake, but, damn, I'd love one. And if I didn't recognize that overeating would make me gain weight, I'd be on a strict chocolate cake regimen. That's just pure science.

If people believe that they can eat more calories than they expend and still lose weight (the Gary Taubes' method for surefire fat-bombing), they need to be corrected, whether it's illuminating or otherwise.

With that said, you're right, and your statement is true.
    Last edited by Meat; 07-04-2011 at 11:48 PM.

Bootneck is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Ok... I started this thread for advice from people who have had experience good or bad IFing, not to instigate a crossfitesque my ball your ball session!!! For those that have given good tips, I thank you.

So I am IFing, anddddddd it is working at the moment. But like everything else I will adapt to it and I will no longer IF for a number of months.

During my 3 day 24hr and now the 7 day 16hr I feel great. During the last two weeks, I have gained weight, but lean muscle, I have lost FAT: FACT! My performances have increased, DL has increased by 2.5kg which is a 1.25% increase on my 202.5kg (445lbs) at a BW of 83kg (183lbs) giving me a deadlift @247% of my bodyweight for the lift. And I can say categorically that this has happened for all my lifts and athletic endeavours. So for the doubters it worked is working for me. Fact, and the science behind it? I can frankly say I don't give a shit.
    I am an athlete who was losing a bit of his sharpness, ( I am also a former Royal Marine and I am in law enforcement) so the importance of staying sharp is one of life and death, as melodramatic as that sounds it is true. And all I can say is that at the age of 42 and still being on the frontline after 26yrs I will try anything once to stay there, and this is working. Oh I ment to add, I am not in anyway in a calorie deficit I am up on calories so, work that one out calories in calories out boy!!!

I will post a pic on Sunday so people can see it works, but be under no illusions that I am 95/5% compliant. Exercise is religiously done and I am active all day during work. I cycle to work and home, walk the dog etc so my activity levels are above the average guy and in general no feesable for most. So there it is.

More on Sunday.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast