Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many servings of veggies/fruit do you eat a day? page

tric is offline Junior Member

How many servings of veggies/fruit do you eat a day?

Primal Fuel
    I know primal is all MEAT MEAT MEAT!!!! But I'm curious... how many servings of veggies and fruit do you guys eat a day? I have a acute/chronic illness and I am hoping the many many veggies I eat will help me heal. I would say I eat anywhere from 7-10 veggies and 0-2 servings of fruit (fruit is usually berries or green apples). I also try to eat raw veggies. I do buy into raw plants are better than cooked. While you are answering that...what do you think? raw or cooked?

Flourishing Wellness

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I'm not saying this is what anyone should be eating, just what is typical for me.

Usually 1 or 2 servings of fruit (usually a granny smith apple while I'm working and maybe some cherries or a pear after dinner).
    Also about 3 servings of veggies (salad, baby carrots and whatever else - artichoke, squash or something like that, depending on what I'm in the mood for).
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

peril is offline Senior Member
    Lots of vegies. Don't count but try for four or five vegies with dinner and have BAS for lunch. Rarely some fruit

And Primal is not about meat, meat, meat. It is eat plants, animals and insects. The plants are important and its just a noisy few that go VLC
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    How much is a serving?

I have a heaping fistful of mixed field greens, a mini cucumber, two stalks of celery, a carrot, one or two sheets of nori, an avocado, and maybe 1/3 cup of frozen berries (plus a handful of nuts and olive oil and balsamic vinegar) in a typical big salad. Some onion with liver or ground beef dishes. Zucchini rarely.

As for raw or cooked, you ought to steam or lightly cook cruciferous veggies like kale, broccoli and cauliflower because your gut can't really break them down. Non-cruciferous vegetables are probably best eaten raw.
    Last edited by Grumpycakes; 06-25-2011 at 10:22 PM.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    it varies A LOT by the day, but i think it evens out throughout the week. breakfast can be 2 medium sized zucchini (sauteed in butter, usually with a side of sausage), maybe an avocado as a snack, 1-2 smaller cukes as snacks, all meat for lunch, and 1-2 servings of veggies for dinner. i have been eating more fruit lately because of the heat, so add in the occasional nectarine, handful of grapes, 1/2c of frozen blueberries or fresh berries... i've started a grapefruit-a-day addiction. YUMMY! i really don't know how many servings that comes out to be. i'm trying to be more intentional about what i put in my mouth, and snack only on meat and produce (rather than nuts, dark chocolate, or half&half). so far i think i've been rather successful

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    If we're counting tubers then 13, if not then 5. I always try to get a wad of greens like spinach in, as well as some steamed carrots or broccoli or something like that. Tomatoes and berries are daily. A couple times a week I'll have bananas.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    I never counted them, but I do enjoy fruits during this time of the year (I know, I know, low carbers will take this as blasphemy! LOL) (i.e., a banana, a apple, cup of strawberries or blueberries, apricots, grapefruit, etc). I do eat moderate amounts of veggies (salads, broccoli, cauliflower, red/savoy cabbage, etc), as well as starchy tubers/root vegetables every day (i.e., sweet potatoes [orange and white varieties], yucca, carrots, parsnips, radishes, turnips, beets, etc) . 130-150 grams of carbohydrates a day

avelin is offline Senior Member
    Veg with pretty much every meal, mostly European and Asian green leafy veg (salad and cooking) but also other veg including nightshades, squashes and root vegies. Tubers rarely. Lots of herbs. I try for lots of variety.

Fruit maybe once a day but sometimes more and occasionally much more more. Could be any kind - climate is kind and variety is rich.

Humans have been cooking food for ages and lack some of the enzymes to properly digest fibrous stuff. I don't think stuff is necessarily better raw but overcooking ruins foods too. I go for some raw some cooked for veggies.
    Last edited by avelin; 06-25-2011 at 10:56 PM.
    Evolutionary. Ideology that fits biology

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    I really hope Primal's not about meat, meat, meat. If it is, I've been doing it all wrong, lol.

When I'm not IFing, I usually have a lunchtime salad (I have never been much into breakfast) and your standard serving of meat with half a plate of veggies for dinner. It depends on the vegetable whether it's raw or cooked. Some things, I hate raw,, like any variety of squash or zucchini. Other vegetables are, IMO, ruined if cooked, like spinach or cabbage. Most other veggies can be eaten either way, depending on how much time I have and how much effort I want to put into things.
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Not counting tubers I am generally around 6-8 servings.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast