Thread: An introduction page

Primal Nick K is offline Junior Member

An introduction

Shop Now
    Hi fellow primal brothers and sisters.

I thought after all the reading and studying I have been doing, it really should warrant an introduction. Maybe even a long one at that, I always get a bit verbose-y when I like something. Sorry about that, although I know that the community here is healthily tolerant so I won't worry on it.

My name is Nick Kent, I'm a Brit, 38 years old. I live in Belgium (since 15 years now), am married and have 3 wonderful children (Xavier,8, Alexander, 6 and Cassandra, 5). I am 197cm tall (about 6'5), am about 63cm wide (2ft) and weighed 126.5 kg (278 lbs) and am heavy boned. I'm a big bloke

I was overweight and my doctor was worried. I knew I had to do something, I had been clinging too long to my poor lifestyle and knew change was required, but for some reason, I couldn't quite bring myself to implement what my brain said should happen. Winston Churchill has a good quote along these lines - "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.". Yep, that was me.

I decided to do something none the less.

I devoured literature on the subject, enjoying Lorren Cordain's "The Paleo diet", Malcolm Kendrick's "The Great Cholesterol Con" (I had never laughed at medical literature before until I read from this book "This is as close as one set of researchers will ever come to telling another set of researchers that they are talking complete bollocks. At least in public, anyway."), and then through a couple of hundred pubmed papers (My favourite is Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies evalua... [Am J Clin Nutr. 2010] - PubMed result), swinging finally into "The Primal Blueprint" by Mark Sisson.

On the 26th of April 2011, I started Primal. It felt so right! I went draconian on my diets ass (hmm would be arse in UK English, but what the hell, I'm trying to break through cultural frontiers here people!). I cut grains and dairy 100% and regardless of what ever else I was eating, after 7 days I noticed: The whole digestive system seemed much more peaceful and harmonious . Spots on my face and back (Which I have suffered with a long time and acutely through my teens) stopped appearing, (indeed after 2 months you could change that to "do not appear"). Upped energy levels. No bloating sensation after Lunch. Mid afternoon energy slumps easing off. My sinuses, which usually cause me several visits to the doctor per year, were extraordinary clear, I felt I was breathing properly for the first time in 20 years.

This after just 7 days ? Yup. Being a healthy sceptic, I was boggled by just how much difference these few simple measures had made. I mean, I was not really exercising per se and I felt so much better.

Mark was, is and will be onto something, of that I am now sure.

I am 2 months in now and I am not 100% primal. In this, I mean I do not stray in foods, I am happy to eat a really big healthy salad for lunch, fruit for breakfast and an occasional stir fry of veg and chicken or fish for dinner (Yup, 3 weeks in, I didn't feel hungry in the evening for the first time - I listened to my body and said "ok, you don't want food, I wont put any in then"). I love hard boiled eggs as a snack when the need takes and I recently bought some beef jerky (100% pasture raised and fed beef) and experienced this for the first time (I had never thought or bought this before, which is not odd for an Englishman living in Belgium - it's pretty hard to find here don' cha know). The first time I tried a piece, I thought "hmm, is this Dunlop, Goodyear or Pirelli ?" but the further I chewed, the further I liked. I am quite addicted now . Not 100% only means, I am having to take short cuts in where my meat and fish comes from. Can't always get the good stuff due to availability or finance and I'm working on it (Don't berate, "I am just an egg" as Michael Valentine Smith would say - Yuppers, Stranger in a strange land is a book I have read many times. If my primal brothers and sisters have never read this then you don't know where the word "grok" came from. Obviously, Mark does ;-) ). I still have a couple of bad habits to give up and I wont go into details apart from, "Oh my god those Belgian monks know a thing or two when it comes to beer"Trappist beer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

So 2 months in, all the healthy benefits I described 2 paragraphs above are still in full effect, I'm getting in the sprint sessions and body weight sessions 2 times a week and I feel great. I've lost 14.5 kg (32 lbs) and feel... ...I feel fantastic. I don't purposely limit carbs from vegetables or fruit, but on a couple of occasions I know I have been in ketosis simply through the odd flavour in my mouth and odour of my breath (That strange kind of acetone-y smell). I don't do it on purpose and am not aiming for that, it just happened. If I am not hungry, I don't eat, it's that simple. If ketosis happens, it does only through the fact that I did not feel hungry enough to eat and believe me, when I am hungry on a Sunday morn, that big ass, 4 egg, broccoli, bacon, onion, garlic omelet is what my body (and my family!) gets served.

I've given you all the pros of what living like this does for me, what about the cons ?

The cons is simple: I can't help talking to family, work colleagues and friends about what I am doing and what I have accomplished (I even skyped my mum "chuck out your margarine, get yourself some decent butter"). It really is infectious - I find myself being overzealous in talking about how diet is so important and the advantages of giving up grains for good and to a certain extent dairy (I have given up dairy 100%, but have recently started using butter again based off of what Mark advocates and a little bit of research, no ill effects so far. I also love to bits feta, and have started adding some to my primal salad lunches), I have to learn to calm that down and let people make up their own minds. Again, as Winston Churchill reminds us "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ". How true are those words ? In my experience "bloody right on Winston".

I sleep better. I don't make a big thing about it, I just try to sleep as the light through my windows suggest and get up with the alarm on my mobile - but more often than not, I find myself waking just before my alarm rings. I like this!.

WOW, I've written (or is that wrote ?) so much it needs an index. If you get wind of this Mark, "Thank you so much for being an active proponent of all that is good". To all my primal brothers and sisters out there, keep doing what you are doing, I don't believe it can go wrong.

Primaly yours,

Nick K.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Nick. Glad it's working for you.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    Such enthusiasm! Good on you.
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Yay Nick! You're doing great!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals