Thread: Great find at Lassen's - could these be "primal gels", perhaps? page

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member

Great find at Lassen's - could these be "primal gels", perhaps?

Primal Fuel
    I'll be using these during my first marathon at the end of July. Just thought I'd share - these suckers are handy!

http://www.artisanafoods.com/products/new-products
    Last edited by GoJenGo; 06-25-2011 at 08:06 AM.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Kinda high in fat and low in sugars to be using as gels. I also find nuts a bit hard to digest in quantity. Why not just use honey?

Gordo

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Those might make you a bit barfy (nuts, plus protein which is hard to digest on the run). If you want to try them and see how they are for you, I'd suggest testing some long runs with them before marathon day.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    You definitely seem to have a different "vision" of primal than some of us, with this post and the baking one. Glad you are working on your health in any case, though!
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Those might make you a bit barfy (nuts, plus protein which is hard to digest on the run). If you want to try them and see how they are for you, I'd suggest testing some long runs with them before marathon day.
    I have, and they've been great so far - I just go slowly with them. I just hope they can be great for that many miles. I don't plan on using many and may mix them up with something else. I still have time to explore my options. We'll see.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    THRIVE diet has an interesting gel recipe, I think the base was chia seeds
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

movewithbrett is offline Junior Member
    This seems like a good idea to me. I am curious if there is a good container that could be reused and filled with more of a bulk product rather than purchasing those individual packets. Maybe the nut butter could be thinned with something and work in a "Fuel Belt" container. Curious if you have tried this. I am looking for something for longer bike rides and triathlons so I have similar needs. I do think your idea seems like a good one, just hoping to accomplish the same thing a little cheaper maybe.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by movewithbrett View Post
    This seems like a good idea to me. I am curious if there is a good container that could be reused and filled with more of a bulk product rather than purchasing those individual packets. Maybe the nut butter could be thinned with something and work in a "Fuel Belt" container. Curious if you have tried this. I am looking for something for longer bike rides and triathlons so I have similar needs. I do think your idea seems like a good one, just hoping to accomplish the same thing a little cheaper maybe.
    That's my plan - mixing it with honey and something else (I was thinking of maybe a little bit of unsweetened finely shredded coconut) and finding some small baggies that seal - I'll bite the corner off and have at it. Marathon is two weeks from tomorrow, so I'd better get crackin and decide how I'm gonna do it! I'll check back and post what the final product is and how it worked.

- Robert Louis Stevenson