Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I may have been on to something page

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

A few months ago, I began to notice that even though I didn't eat for about 6 hours before bed, and didn't drink for about 3, and went to bed with an empty bladder, I still had to pee in the morning. It looked as though I was getting leaner. It certainly felt that way.

I inquired about it and the answers I got lead me to believe it had nothing to do with fat loss, so I would have some water before bed just to keep my intake up. Despite eating 100% primal and maintaining a caloric deficit and exercising, I wasn't losing any fat. I went back to my old way of abstaining from water before bed and within two days I started to feel and look leaner again.

I have a jiggly pouch on my belly and a couple love handles. Little to no (Excess?) visceral fat, as far as I can tell. It seems as though my body is trying to get rid of a lot of water before it drops the fat. Thoughts?

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

PC lipolysis requires water in order to occur, so I don't see why being well-hydrated would interfere with fat loss. Or maybe over-hydration does? I don't know...

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Could it be that I have a problem with too much water retention?

nina_70 Guest

It might be a water retention issue rather than something directly related to fat loss. It is possible to retain multiple pounds of water-weight which could explain why you feel leaner w/o the water. Are you eating alot of sodium or sodium-containing things (e.g. bacon). If you're very sensitive that could impact how you retain water. Or, could be a sodium-potassium imbalance? Or, simply not drinking enough water in general (not drinking can lead to retention too)?

I know the muscle-men tend to use mild diuretics to get ripped for competition (= get rid of that extra bit of water retention). Dandelion tea is a good alternative for this, altho' diuretics are not a good long-term plan. Garlic might help too.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

How do you feel when you abstain? As long as you aren't feeling dehydrated, (dizzy, dry mouth, craving water) I would say go for it and keep us posted!

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

chima_p is offline Senior Member

Lyle MacDonald has anecdotally called a similar effect "stall and whoosh". He has not been able to find any scientific explanation (which I assume the silly name).

The thought is as the body loses lipids from fat cells water temp takes it's place. Then for water ever reason the water whooshes out of the system reavealing actual fat loss.

In your case you experienced a whoosh after you went back to not having water before bed. In the past the steady weight loss may have come from your body not being hydrated enough to supply fat cells with water during fat loss.

I drink alot of water during the evening (half a litre after brushing my teeth alone). Perhaps I will not have any water for a few hours before bed and see what happens during the next week.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Sodium intake could be key, as lil-earthmom said. I would think that, under an ideal diet, fat metabolism and hydration would self-regulate thirst. Cutting salts might help. Tarlach mentioned recently that it made a huge difference on his general well-being, so you could benefit from giving it a shot.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Nina: The only salty thing I have is bacon, but we get ours from a local farm and it has very little salt. But maybe I will try abstaining from bacon for a week, too, and see what happens. I was also thinking of incorporating green tea for a diuretic effect. How long would be too long?

lil_earthmomma: I feel fine when I wake up, although I can chug down that first mug of water awfully quickly.

chima_p: I was thinking about Lyle's stalls and whooshes, too. I wonder how that relates to what SerialSinner was saying about water being necessary for lipolysis. A little water, but not too much?

edit:

SS: Guess I will be cutting back on the bacon then

SeanBissell is offline Junior Member

Interesting post.

I don't know how cutting down on water would make a positive impact on weight/fat loss. But anything's possible

I just keep thinking about all those bodybuilding/fitness people who preach drinking at least a gallon of water a day for a boost in weight loss. (Some people drink only ice water so it'll force their body temp up and therefore increase metabolism... slightly...)

-Sean

I want to be clear that I do drink a ton of water during the day anyway. It's just the effect of letting the body fill my bladder during the night with something other than what I recently drank that is interesting to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast