Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insects!

Insects!

Shop Now
    I'm very new to the PB life. I've been removing all non-PB items from my kitchen (by eating them ) over the past two weeks and am now down to the basics (on a budget) and loving it.

When preparing dinner yesterday evening a small insect scuttled out of the broccoli. I instantly (instinctually) squashed and removed it. Less than a second after this event I was thinking "I wonder what that would have tasted like?" and was actually hoping for another one to appear so I could try it.

I burst out laughing and wondered if that episode allows me full entry to the PB Club?

Doesn't hurt to try... Remember, hunter-gatherers would/will collect bugs to supplement their diets.

I ate a scorpion in Singapore. It was fried on a cracker. It tasted like a fried cracker.

I'd have to be really, really hungry to eat bugs. Either that or be with a group that was eating them; I think that would be a major psychological component of getting over the gag reflex.

I wish I wasn't taught to be grossed out by bugs. I know that they are a natural part of my diet.

When I did an extended green juice fast, I didn't wash my veggies and I'm 99% sure I drank quite a bit of bug juice - haha
    I still couldn't pick one up and crunch it, though.

I'm a mealworm farmer. They're interesting. Not tons of flavor, but a neat little treat. It takes a lot of bugs to make a meal, however.

FWIW... they do taste better cooked.

It won't hurt to try. Just make sure it isn't poisonous. You have to know what you're eating. Go outside, collect a couple dozen bugs--grasshoppers, earthworms, catepillars--go on the internet, so a visual search on them on a bug website (maybe something like bugguide.net) and do a 'poison check'. After that, eat away at any non poisonous bugs!

But the golden rule of bug eating: do not eat any brightly-colored bugs. They are almost certainly poisonous.

Edit: I'd only suggest doing this is your own backyard though and only if you don't spray your yard with pesticides or herbicides. Also, here's an awesome article from Mark about insects: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/edible-bugs/
    Last edited by Aly; 06-25-2011 at 01:04 PM.

I ate lots of mosquitoes as a child, just because it grossed out my friends. (yeah, I was that kind of a kid - and to make it worse, I *still* do it, and I'm nearly 39). They don't taste like anything. The Bug Zoo here has lots of insect-based treats but they all have sugar in them so I don't eat them.

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    I'm a mealworm farmer. They're interesting. Not tons of flavor, but a neat little treat. It takes a lot of bugs to make a meal, however.

FWIW... they do taste better cooked.
    I wanted to thank you for the info you gave me on starting a farm, the worms I got from the petshop are mostly adult beetles now, in a couple of months I'll have my own supply of bugs! Yay! Even the wife is starting to get on board and she said she would at least taste them.

Shop Now
    Thinkgeek has their toasted giant leafcutter ants on sale right now.
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".