Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hemoglobin too low, couldn't donate blood page 2

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

FNW, there really aren't any good options aside from blood donation. Do you have reason to think your iron is on the high side? If so, skip vitamins with iron and rely on food for iron intake.

During pregnancy, high normal iron levels will be to your benefit, but you might wish to avoid supplemental iron even during pregnancy, unless you start trending towards anemia. Yeah, yeah, I know prenatals all have iron, and your caregiver will grumble if you stop taking them. But really, the only things you might need during pregnancy are extra folate in early pregnancy, vitamin D, maybe calcium if dietary intake is low, and omega-3's.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

I did a little more reading on this last night, and have realized some things that might help me easily raise my iron levels. It seems that I'm already eating lots of iron-rich foods (eggs, beef, liver, Brussels sprouts, spinach) but not taking in important nutrients that allow me to absorb it. Plus, I may be drinking too much coffee, which leaches iron.

My current multi-vitamin does not have iron in it. I'm adding an additional multi-vitamin to my supplements, but instead of taking it in the morning when I take my calcium pill, I'm going to take this one in the evening as calcium leaches iron. I've also cut all fruit out of my diet, and cut way back on tomatoes, so I'm probably not getting enough Vitamin C, which is required to absorb iron. I never knew that, so I'm going to add tomatoes back to my eating plan. So this new vitamin has iron, C, and B12, which is also important for iron absorption.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Pikaia I'm not worried or anything... I just know that for long-term health it's a good idea to donate now and then. High iron levels (which naturally happens if you live for a long time) are linked to all sorts of diseases in older age.

And "women naturally keep iron levels lower" ... I wonder if that's because most women eat less meat than men... but doesn't really go for me. haha.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

nina_70 Guest

Sharonll - I think you might have hit the nail w/ the stuff on absorption. Just like calcium requires Vitamin D to absorb, Iron is sensitive to Vitamin C and B12.

If you think about it, for meats, one of the best sources of iron is in organ foods (esp. liver) which ALSO happen to be a great source of vitamin C & B12. So, theoretically, if you're eating the "whole" animal incl. the organs, plus cooking minimally (since Vitamin C tends to be destroyed by heat), you'd be enjoying the best absorption.

The more I read about organ meats the more I think it's critical for us to consume them, esp. for those who are going very low-carb or "carnivore"-like in their foods.

Fortunately, I love liver, so I think I'll raise my consumption of it. Just got some nice grass fed beef liver, so I'm having that for supper tonight. I'm going to work hard at increasing my hemoglobin for the next two months, and I'll update when the bloodmobile comes back in two months.

Atomontage Guest

This post has been very interesting to me for a whole other reason. Lately I have had really bad restless legs when trying to go to sleep. Looking that up, one of the things it states is that it may be due to low iron (the one symptom that seemed to fit me best). I also eat a lot of iron-rich foods, so I was confused as to why I had come down with this lately. But looking at my diet, I have been very low on vitamin C. So thank you all for the insight and I'm going to try to eat more vitamin C rich foods and see if that helps! =)

Wow, Eric, really? I suffer terribly from RLS, especially in the afternoon. I can't sit still for more than 20 minutes. I recently bought an exercise ball to replace my office chair in the afternoons, and it seems to help. But low iron? Great, something new to google and distract me from work. LOL!

Katt is offline Senior Member

I like liver as well, but my husband hates it and can't even stand the smell of it cooking... so we don't eat it.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

Marie Guest

forgot to mention before: Floradix liquid iron + herbs... you can find it at your local health food store...it has helped me in the past.

Also, though I can't imagine too much iron, especially in women, I would guess that chelation could be used for a true excess. However, for all you die-hard Grokkers; Grok was surely not donating blood EVER, so I doubt that storing too much of it happens to most people.

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

I wish I could donate blood! Unfortunately, anemia runs in my family and at one point a couple of years ago all my iron-related readings were so low, the doctor was amazed I was still able to function (oops)! Thankfully, I'm clear of the drama now, but my blood isn't good enough for donation. This is despite eating iron-rich foods, eating foods that aid in absorption and taking a really good multi-vitamin.

Now that I'm primal, I would love to see what my readings are... bet they're better now!

@FNW - I'd not heard that thing about it being good for the donator to donate blood - how did you find out about that?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12