Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birthday Dinner Out - How'd I do? page

carolanne88 is offline Member

Birthday Dinner Out - How'd I do?

Shop Now
    Okay, so I cringe at eating out, because it's just too difficult, trying to tweak a menu item to be somewhat primal....BUT my birthday is this weekend and my husband wanted to take me out to dinner and a movie. I chose Texas Roadhouse, so I could get a steak. Take a look at my meal and tell me what you think. Did I do okay? What if anything would you have done differently?

6 oz. Filet (sans the A1 sauce. I really thought I would miss the A1, but the steak was tender and flavorful on it's own.)
    I ordered sauteed mushrooms and onions to top my steak (worried about oils here)
    Sides were green beans (I know, legumes. Had pieces of bacon in it, though ) and a sweet potato with butter only (praying the butter was truly butter, but not confident)

NO bread at all (HUGE accomplishment for me! TR has the best rolls)

After dinner we had no sugar added yogurt with fresh fruit topping.

On a normal day, I would never had eaten the green beans, or the yogurt, but I figured I could chock that up to my 20%. I mean, after all, it is my birthday.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    you did HORRIBLY. i am ASHAMED.

good job and happy b-day

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carolanne88 View Post
    Okay, so I cringe at eating out, because it's just too difficult, trying to tweak a menu item to be somewhat primal....BUT my birthday is this weekend and my husband wanted to take me out to dinner and a movie. I chose Texas Roadhouse, so I could get a steak. Take a look at my meal and tell me what you think. Did I do okay? What if anything would you have done differently?

6 oz. Filet (sans the A1 sauce. I really thought I would miss the A1, but the steak was tender and flavorful on it's own.)
    I ordered sauteed mushrooms and onions to top my steak (worried about oils here)
    Sides were green beans (I know, legumes. Had pieces of bacon in it, though ) and a sweet potato with butter only (praying the butter was truly butter, but not confident)

On a normal day, I would never had eaten the green beans, or the yogurt, but I figured I could chock that up to my 20%. I mean, after all, it is my birthday.
    Green beans are fine, with or without bacon.
    Sweet potatoes are fine, at least once in a while, even if you are trying to lose weight.
    You did GREAT!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carolanne88 View Post

Chilled, it's your birthday. Use your 20%. Last week was my birthday and I ate a slice of cheesecake! Yummy!!! You did a good job!

Steak=Good
    Mushrooms+Onions=Ok, just a little worried about the oil
    Green Beans=Good. They are benign, so don't worry about them.
    Sweet Potatoes=Good. It is primal, and only those who wish to lose weight (or have diabetes) should exclude it. I eat one (12-14 ounces) every day.
    No Bread= Great Job!
    Yogurt with fruit topping= Good, dairy is allowed in the PB if you can tolerate it.

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    Chill! Careful you're not getting neurotic.
    I splurged yesterday too, and it wasn't even MY birthday

Congrats, btw

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    The more I read the forums the more I realized how obsessed people are, and how I was like you. Green beans. One whole sweet potato? Wow... you ruined it, it's all over for you.

Peas and green beans, as a legume, are alright.

foodaddict is offline Member
    On my birthday i'd eat an entire cheesecake. You did very well. In fact, arguably too well. Indulge a bit.

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    1) It's "chalk it up."

2) Your choices were fine. Now stop obsessing and live life.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

loraine is offline Junior Member
    Please don't turn the Primal Blueprint into a "diet". It reminds me of being on Weight Watchers and not wanting to go out to eat because I couldn't figure out the "points"! It's important to have a social life and be able to relax.

It sounds like you had a great meal. Happy birthday!!

mcsnick is offline Member
    Thank you for the reminders to chill a little bit. I know this isn't my thread, but I needed to hear that too. It's not a diet. I need to keep saying that to myself.
    Female
    31 yrs old
    5' 1"
    started: 113.5
    current: 109.7
    goal: my only goal right now is to get pregnant... 14 cycles and counting.
    exercise: Body by Science - loving it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast