Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Chaos: Mike Gager's Primal Journal page

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member

Primal Chaos: Mike Gager's Primal Journal

Primal Fuel
    I have just started the Primal way of living this week I figure I better get a journal started.

A little about me..

My name is Mike and I am 36 years old.

My weight at the beginning of this week was 393 lbs. However much to my luck I happen to be 6'5"

I have this idea in my mind of what I look like and I guess it's kind of a warped sense of reality as I dont feel like I am obese and I dont really feel like I am tall. I have short legs and a long torso so I guess having my upper end stretched out makes me feel less fat or something, I cant really explain it. It's only when i see myself in pictures that i realize how overweight I really am. Quite depressing really.

Anyways I have been big ever since I was a kid. I have always struggled with my weight but it wasnt til about 8 years ago that I really did anything about it. I happened across low carb dieting, atkins speciffically and it seemed like a natural thing for me so i gave it a try. I was close to 400lbs when I started the diet and about 12 months later I was 250lbs. Nearly 150lbs lost in less then a year simply by changing the way I ate. I didnt do any extra exercise that whole time, it all was because of the food. It was awesome. One of the best parts was girls started paying attention to me which led to me meeting my wife.

Ok so now you say, so what happened? Well id like to say everything continued on as was but the thing about dieting, be it low carb, low fat, whatever, is that once you stop doing the things you are supposed to and go back to your old ways the pounds come back with a vengence. Within a couple years I was right back where I began. I gave atkins another try and lost around 60lbs in about 3 months then lost interest again with predictable results. Flash forward to early 2010 and all of a sudden I am having chest pains walking across the parking lot at work. Doctor runs all kinds of tests, nothing really seems out of whack except of course my blood pressure, which at the time was something like 200 over 130. The doctor put me on blood pressure meds and withing 2 days I felt like a totally different person. My blood pressure was back to acceptable ranges (120 over 70) and the pain in my chest disappeared. I guess you could say I had an awakening that I needed to do something about my weight while I still had a chance. I went on a restricted calorie diet and actually lost about 50lbs in 3 months. I also started riding a bike almost daily throughout last summer.

Well once winter hit, it was to cold to ride and I didnt pick up any other type of exercise program. Add to that the fact I stopped counting calories and here I am once again at the upper end of the 300s.

So Now here I am writing this after stumbling across Marks site and learning as much as I possible can about primal eating, which incidently, is not much different then the low carb WOE i used in the past. Hopefully I have as much success this time.

As for this journal, I hope to use it to document my "journey" (oh how that word bugs me) I'll try not to bore anyone
    Last edited by Mike Gager; 07-18-2011 at 09:48 AM.
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! You can do this.... journey or not
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

for dinner tonight the wife and I decided to branch out to new territory and try some fish. Neither of us have ever liked fish, in fact as far as i was concerned I hated it. however I have been told that tilapia was rather mild tasting so i figured id give it a try. We also picked up some cod as it was also recommended.

I bought a new gas grill yesterday so this was the first thing i have cooked on it, actually it was the first time i have ever grilled anything lol. It was kind of a disaster but it came out ok in the end and it was actually pretty darned good. the cod was just slightly fishy but the tilapia tasted almost like chicken! i can definitely get used to that. with the fish i also grilled some asparagus, another first for me. it wasnt terrible but i really dont like vegetables. I picked up a couple steaks, some hamburger, chicken breasts and some pork chops, all going to be cooked on the grill in the next few days. hopefully it goes a little smoother next time
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    If you do the whole Blueprint, it is mostly very easy and it will work.

Make sure to get vitamin D (sun or supplements.)
    Do a brief sprint session once or twice a week. Can be on your bike or walking fast.
    Enjoy all the wonderful things you can eat on Primal.
    Grok on!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

well this morning says i have lost 15 lbs so far. not bad for 5 days!
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Awesome!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

made a bacon and lettuce sandwich using Rivvin's bread recipe. turned out great!

Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

ok so lets see, one whole week of being primal ofiicially done. so far, so good. The scale still shows the 15lb weight difference, which doesnt surprise me a whole lot. remembering back to my atkins days i would have times where i would be stuck at a weight for several days then pow a 10 lb loss for no apparent reason. I wish there was a way to actually fortell what the scale was going to say before getting on it, but then you really wouldnt need the scale i guess.

My first week was fraught with sugar withdrawl, severe muscle soreness from working out, but luckily no real food cravings. My wife who is doing the "17 day diet" and I picked up some dark chocolate thinking it would maybe quench any lingering sweet tooth cravings, it did the trick all right but not really how I expected. To be honest, it was disgusting. can definitely check it off my to try list

earlier this week I bought a new gas grill, my very first grill of any type actually, and I have been looking forward to cooking on it. So far I have grilled some fish, asparagus, and last night steak. My wife doesnt like red meat (i know, right!) but she likes chicken and she liked the fish. I am not sure if she likes pork chops but id be surprised. I really want to try some new things, particularly vegetables, that i havent tried before. Me and vegetables dont get along so well but i have read grilling really makes a difference on the way they taste. (anythings got to be better then tasting like crap right?) If all else fails I just need to convince myself that eating them is good for "the cause" and needs to be done. who knows, maybe ill start liking them if i eat enough

Speaking of my wife's aversion to red meat, for her its not any kind of ethical thing, its simply a matter of not liking the taste. this makes things a little tough for me when it comes to eating primal because I could eat it at every meal if given the opportunity. It also makes her not want to go for a eating plan such as primal, or low carb, or whatever type eating plan that consists of eating red meat. Now i know that there are plenty of alternatives she could eat and still fit in but she doesnt see it that way i guess. I tried to get her to go primal with me, and for awhile i thought she was going to do it but then at the last minute she started talking about this "17 day diet" thing. My mother in law had tried it and gave her the book so thats the way she went. I have no real objections to that diet, i mean its better then nothing, I just hope its something she can stick to. The first phase of the diet is actually fairly low carb and then you add foods back in as each phase progresses. So far she has done really well and has lot 5 lbs. im pretty confident she can be successful as long as I am as we seem to have a tendency to sabotage each others diets in the past. its really hard to stay focused on a diet when your significant other wants to go get ice cream or order pizza.
    Last edited by Mike Gager; 06-27-2011 at 08:37 AM.
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

i was reading an article today about food reward which reminded me about another article i read about food reward, which actually had nothing to do with the first other then the name of the subject. i know weird right?

anyways what i wanted to talk about is actually using food as a reward, not the subconscious brain signal

how many times have you heard someone say "ive lost 10 lbs on this diet i am going to get pizza for a reward!"? Or how about a parent telling their kid "be good and we will stop for ice cream after this"? i know i have been very guilty in the past of doing this. Its almost a type of self-sabotage. The article i read awhile back basically talked about how as a society, we have become so dependant on sweets and treats that we see them as rewards (why not treat your self to a treat?) and that it was in effect a reason why we, again as a society, are becoming obese. it suggested that the key to becoming healthy was to start seeing food not as a treat but as simply fuel. By doing this youll be less likely to fuel your tanks with lower quality foods just because they taste good. If you start rewarding yourself at important times with healthy non-food alternatives it will be easier to do away with these unhealthy food rewards

now knowing this, i guess the first step would be to set a goal and figure out an appropriate reward. The goal could be anything really, say losing a certain amount of weight, or being 100% primal for a certain amount of time, or maybe even exercising as planned for a whole month with no missed days. The reward is again up to you. It could be anything from a nice quiet evening sitting out on the front porch to new clothes you wouldnt normally buy to a new TV. the point is the reward doesnt matter as long as its something you want and something that IS NOT food
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

PrimalCon New York
    MEATZA!!!!

ok yeah so i just recently as in yesterday found out about this, yeah i know where the hell have i been right? anyways after seeing a recipe online on somebody's blog i just knew i had to make some

i followed the recipe sort of close but couldnt find caraway seeds so i left those out. i added some extra seasonings i found in the cabinets although to be honest i couldnt really taste any of them.

i used ragu meat spaghetti sauce (lowest carb sauce i could find) and pepperonis as my toppings with provolone cheese slices and shredded mozzarella turned out great! only thing i plan on doing different is to this out the crust a bit in the middle and make the edges thicker more like a real pizza crust would be shaped

anyways i cut it into 6 pieces and ended up eating 3 but i am stuffed! i can usually take down a regular large pizza by myself no problem but had trouble getting the 3rd piece of meatza down my throat lol. should have quit at 2 but man it was so good. definetly be making this again
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast