Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Cookies page 3

g2baker is offline Member

Oh that sounds good Iceskater! I bet the dry batch would work for my Russian tea cakes that I'm wanting to bake!

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the recipe Iceskater!!!

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

g2baker, ooooh. Are you talking about Mexican Wedding Cake?

I think you can make something very similar by substituting with almond flower and either putting a bit of stevia in the batter or rolling them in coconut sugar aftewards.

I think you could also dip those in some dark chocolate and then into flaked coconut. YUM!

I was going to make some regular Mexican Wedding cakes for non-primal friends, but I should experiment with making primal version as well.

g2baker is offline Member

Yes, they're the same thing. Some people call them nut balls. I really like the idea of rolling in dark chocolate, kind of like you would with truffles. Okay, I'm starting to get the bug! I've never seen coconut sugar. I guess you could put coconut flakes in the food processor, is that the same thing?

DebFM is offline Senior Member

Haven't made these for about 10(!) years & the recipe is really high in sugar, and it *is* a MS recipe (complicated) but here goes:

Martha Stewart Cinnamon Cookies

COOKIES

4 large room temp egg whites

2 1/2 C granulated sugar (save 1/2 C for rolling)

3C almond flour (or finely ground blanched almonds)

4 TBS cinnamon

1 TBS ginger

1 tsp mace

1 tsp nutmeg

1 C flour (this will be divided up for rolling)

GLAZE

2C powdered sugar

4 TBS water

Beat egg whites until soft peak stage & add 2C sugar gradually, 2 TBS at a time, until whites are thick and glossy.

Combine almonds, spices in a separate bowl (large one) & fold in the egg whites. Cover &stick in fridge overnight.

Line cookie sheets with parchment (really do this or the little buggers will stick). Divide dough into 4 parts. Mix the flour with the remaining 1/2 C sugar & use this to sprinkle on your board to roll out the cookies. Roll each quarter of the dough to 1/4 inch thickness & cut into shapes. Be careful lifting them onto the cookie sheet & use a statula. They tend to fall apart. Repeat for remaining dough.

Let cookies sit on sheets for about 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Make the glaze by mixing the confectioner's sugar and water together, stirring until smooth. Bake the cookies for about 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush with the glaze. Return cookies to the oven and bake for about 2 more minutes to set the glaze. Cook on the sheets.

Notes:

-I'm thinking one could use rice flour or coconut flour to replace the white flour if you're gluten sensitive.

-These are really good, spicy and chewy but are the dough is really hard to handle. If I remember rightly, smushing together to re-roll dough scraps was a PITA.

If anyone is brave (or silly)enough to make them I definitely want to hear your experience & wish you success. I don't think I could get them made before the 13th, but I may try after that.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

I made walnut bark today. Just melt a sack o 86% cocoa nibs, stir in a bunch o walnuts, spread out on wax paper and let harden back up. Break up into pieces and put into the fridge. SO good!

Next project is figuring out how to do a ginger bread or some ginger bread cookies. Have a mean craving for it.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

mmmmm i need to get some "nibs" and make something like that. Did you toast your walnuts first?

Lemmie know when you figure out the gingerbread.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

No I'm too lazy to toast my walnuts. :-)

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

hehe okay.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I think I'll try this gingerbread recipe from lowcarbdude http://lowcarbdudecom.blogspot.com/2...d-cookies.html.

I'll use all almond flour and keep the molasses and probably double the spcices like he suggests.

Frosting: mix 8 oz. cream cheese with 1/3 stick of softened butter. Blend in four packets of Splenda and a dash of vanilla extract. Blend until creamy. A drop or two of food colouring will allow you to make gingerbread "ornaments".

- 1 3/4 cups almond flour

- 1/4 cup oat flour (finely ground whole oats)

- 1/4 lb (1 stick) softened butter (if using salted butter, omit the salt later in the recipe)

- 1/2 cup granular Splenda

- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar Twin

- 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses

- 2 tsp water

- 1 tsp vanilla extract

- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger

- 1 tsp cinnamon

- 1/4 tsp nutmeg

- 1/4 tsp ground cloves

- 1/2 tsp salt (omit if you are using salted butter)

Preheat oven to 300F.

Cream butter with Splenda and Brown Sugar Twin in a large bowl. Add water and spices and mix well. (Personally, I would have increased the spices by 50%.) Gradually add almond flour and mix to a stiff dough. Form into small balls and place on greased cookie sheet at least 1" apart.

Bake at 300F for 20 minutes. After five minutes in oven, press cookies down with a fork in a criss-cross manner. Continue baking, being careful not to burn and adjusting time for your oven.

Makes about 2 doz. cookies - 1.4 effective grams of carbohydrate per cookie.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast