Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas Cookies page 2

DebFM is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

We're doing truffles this year along with two standard recipes. I have to admit to thinking of coconut macaroons, too, and also - if I can find the recipe - these yummy Martha Stewart cinnamon almond cookies that can be cut into shapes. When I find the recipe, I'll post it. I know it's a little high on the sugar, but that can be cut down or replaced.

@ lil EM, I second the blog link! Definitely want to see your baking!

nina_70 Guest

I second the truffles idea. Truffles are a fabulous alternative if you're a chocolate lover....basically just dark chocolate, heavy cream and butter...and that's it. You don't really need any extra sweetener either.

Some truffle recipes:

http://www.joyofbaking.com/ChocolateTruffles.html

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...ruffles-233316

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Couple of months ago I came across a cookie recipe that uses coconut flower. It was in Women's World. It just plain shocked me. I was ready to cut it out and put it on a wall. Gluten free cookies in a main-stream magazine. Now we're talking.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

http://gourmetinterrupted.blogspot.com/

I'll be doing a variety of cookies etc. but what I'm really stoked about is the cheesecake bites I plan on making!!!

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

SeanBissell is offline Junior Member

Just a quick note about honey.

From the perspective of how it breaks down in your body (fructose, glucose) honey is basically the same as table sugar or High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Personally, if you are using any sweetener with calories in it, I'd recommend pure glucose. (Corn Sugar.)

-Sean

CORN SUGAR?!?

But... but... I'm confused?!?

Um, I use local honey because it's a sweetener that Grok would have had access to, and it's not refined.

Sigh... I know sugar is bad, no matter what form, but life is too short to live without christmas cookies!!!

-John Lennon

g2baker is offline Member

I'm so glad I asked this question! Lil - I cant wait to see what you have posted. I forgot about truffles, what a great idea. And the coconut macaroons, although I've never been a huge fan of them, but my tastes have sure changed since being on the diet, and I'm interested in trying them again. Do you know those Russian Tea cakes. Rolled in powdered sugar. mmmmm, my fav! I've been thinking of them all day and how to recreate them with the ingredients we use here (I am not using honey or maple sugar, but maybe something else - stevia? haven't figured that one out yet.) But there has got to be a way to make that tasty. I'll have to experiment and let you know. I'm excited to get into the test kitchen! Merry Christmas!

Dates and bananas are also great natural sweeteners.

-John Lennon

maba is offline Senior Member

I made this coconut fudge last night for friends. It just has 2 main ingredients and 3 optional.

On low heat, toast 8 oz of desiccated shredded coconut till it turns fragrant - a minute or two. Don't let it change color. Add condensed milk, adding a small amount at a time till desired sweetness is reached and keep stirring till the condensed milk is well-mixed with the coconut and the mixture comes together (about 4-5 minutes). The sugar from a 14 oz would be enough for non-primals, but I used a little more than 1/2 can. I'm sure most of us won't need more than a couple of Tbs. Optional ingredients: 5 cardamom, seeds removed and powdered, a pinch of saffron, 1 Tbs of ghee. Stir in the optional ingredients and remove the mixture from heat. Pour into an 8 x 8 greased glass tray and spread using a spatula. Let it cool for about 5 minutes and cut into squares/ diamonds. Let it cool further for about 15-20 minutes and remove the individual pieces from tray. This can be stored at room-temperature for a day or two and stored in the fridge for longer. Mine made about 24 2" squares.

I know this is not Primal, but it's a quick dessert if you're looking to make something for Christmas parties for non-primals. It can be semi-primal if made with a small amount of condensed milk.

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I used to always bring butter/sugar cookies into work, and this year, I had the strongest craving for them. I found this recipe for butter cookies with coconut flour.

http://web.mac.com/gandasalvesen/iWeb/Site/Blog/6C219325-4768-4A1D-8B15-D11DE3BB53C1.html

Made them last night, the first batch was mildly dry, so I added coconut oil to the batter, and added chucks of 100% chocolate as they were baking. Yum!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast