Thread: Not losing weight but gaining muscle. I hope!?!? A few questions. page

kaylakala is offline Member

Not losing weight but gaining muscle. I hope!?!? A few questions.

Primal Fuel
    Been working on following primal fittness as of 2 months now. Getting up to that 10 min full throttle is getting there. I walk a lot I'm 30 about 180lbs. My heart rate is 140 when I walk at a decent pace. I just got off of bp meds and a month ago I was hitting above 150. I walk 2-5 hours a week usually about 3. My play is swimming!!
    How is my heart rate for primal fittness?

Now for my uncharted till now territory. I've been atkins follower since October. Mostly in ketosis cause I love the feel of it!! I started lifting at the gym the 6 "core" machines. Now I've added a few more for fun and time. I do 3 reps of 10 each with 10 or so seconds in between.
    When I first started I could do ....... 10-30 lbs with 10 reps if that!!!
    Well now I'm doing 30-70lbs with 3 sets of 10! I could actually feel a muscle in my ab area under my fat!!!
    I'm actually able to raise my weights about 5lbs every other visit on most machines!!
    This does mean I'm not burning muscle right!?!
    Any advice is appreciated!!

critta is offline Senior Member
    Always remember that muscle is heavier than fat. I think the best way to measure your progress is by taking weekly pictures or measurements don't worry about the number on the scale. Also if you are feeling good and still making gains in the gym It sounds like you are doing well. The only way to start burning muscle would be to not eat enough protein so make sure you are getting enough and it should not be an issue. Congrats on your progress so far and keep it up!

Thanks! LOL I always remind people that muscle is heavier than fat. I just have never done the weight lifting thing before. I'm really happy about doing it and actually seeing progress!
    Had no idea I was so weak till I started walking in October. Could barely make it around the block!
    Now can walk on the beach for hours.

astronmr20 is offline Senior Member
    I am definitely getting stronger and packing on some muscle, but am also having issues getting rid of the fat. I'm about 6 weeks into primal. Wondering if I really AM losing some, as the muscles underneath my belly are definitely "growing," but it's discouraging because at times my clothes are even tighter.

Some days I'm a little low on the fat intake, but I've mostly cut out carbs, except for some almond, and collard greens every night with my steak/ chicken/ etc.

I already know the power of low-carb eating with proper exercise, but it just doesn't seem to be happening for me so far.

Guess I just need to "stick with it?"

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    I did the same thing for 3 months, stayed at 260lbs while dropping ~5% body fat (15% down to 10%), I didn't start gaining weight till i hit the 10% mark when the fat loss slowed and the muscle gain kept right on going.

Really the only way you're going to have muscle wasting is if you're not intaking enough protein.

And for clarification, muscle is denser not heavier
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Yes five pounds of muscle is about half the size of 5 pounds of fat.
    Had no idea I was so weak till I started walking in October. Could barely make it around the block!
    Now can walk on the beach for hours.