Thread: Accidental Standing Desk page

Lira is offline Member

Accidental Standing Desk

Primal Fuel
    I was playing around today to see if I could jerry-rig a standing desk situation here at work. We have nice monitors on top of dock stations for our standard laptops. I'm newer here so I didn't want to cause a ruckus and bother facilities for more equipment.

I was seeing if I could stack a box on the dock and then the monitor on the box to raise it up. As I lifted the monitor, the screen slid up!! Turns out it's completely adjustable, and since it's already as high as the dock platform, it's up at a really good max height and angled up as well.

So I'm standing at my new desk. Yay! Still need to get something permanent for my mouse and keyboard--stacked on some plain white boxes and it'd be nice to get something more officey so it doesn't stand out. And since the monitor is still fully adjustable, I can sit if I need to.

I have since discovered that there are also two other folks on my floor who have standing stations rigged up, too. Who knew?!

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Good stuff Lira. It makes a world of difference, IMO. I wish more companies would actually encourage this sort of thing.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Lira is offline Member
    I agree, although I can't complain too badly. We have a huge onsite gym with everything you could wish for, and we don't pay anything to use it.

I guess I should be glad people aren't telling me I have to sit down!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Started standing today, just put the laptop on a box but bringing a thick book on Monday for a little extra height. My coworkers are for the most part in their late 20s and a few were like "hmm, might try that" I'm new here also, some people e-mailed me, some of the reasons I provide are... starting with my favorite and also most primal..

- "I'm the new male, so I'm trying to establish my dominance. Intimidated? I know you are"

- "I'm a weekend DJ, standing makes me feel like I'm bringing the party to ya'll..." (I'm not a DJ)

- "hemorrhoids"

but I would follow them all up with a more honest explanation. Basically that I spend a lot of time sitting and I don't like that fact. Also that I had done some reading about it and wanted to try it out for myself. "It's supposed to improve circulation, posture, also prevent certain joints from getting all stiff.. and I slouch a lot so this will help my posture too" I was careful to make it all about myself instead of "Americans spend so much time sitting..." cus I'm the new guy, don't want to be "that guy" I think I said enough to spark some interest in the people that were obviously curious enough to email me.