Hi Everyone,

It has been some time since I last posted but some things that are health-related have emerged over the last two weeks that bring me some concern. Here is my backstory:

At age 16, I had my first untriggered seizure in my high school library. I was taken to the hospital and put on medication (trileptal and depakote), on which I stayed for three years. In those three years, I had about 6 other seizures. One day, I decided that I had enough; I wanted to take control of my health again and regain my natural equilibrium without the aid of chemicals that only slow down my cognitions and make me drowsy.

One day, I decided I would stop with medications altogether (without letting my physician know). I did not let her know because I knew what she would tell me; all she really was doing was write me prescriptions. Also, because I was overweight at the time, I decided to change my complete lifestyle around, albeit with SAD methods that I know of at the time.

That seemed to work for four years. I lost weight, was seizure free, and was very happy. Things started to change about a month and a half ago. Out of nowhere, I began to have very brief lapses where I could not fully comprehend what I nor others were saying (even thought I still produced coherent speech). Then, about two weeks ago, I was filling up the tank of my car and I got an aura that usually happens before a seizure; I awoke in an ambulance that took me to a hospital. My blood and urine tests were all fine with the exception of some dehydration. I thought that I was just fairly dehydrated that day because I spent an hour in the morning biking in the hot sun and perhaps did not drink enough water. That seemed plausible to me.

Then, yesterday, I went to the gym; it was bench press day. I warmed up with an empty bar and got up to put weights on the thing. The aura hit me again, and I was afraid I'd have an episode. I woke up on the floor with paramedics over me, informing me that I had a seizure. Again, I was taken to the hospital. Same story: blood test and a CT scan revealed nothing wrong. They held me here overnight (I'm writing from my hospital room right now) and did an EEG this morning. Before the EEG, I spoke with a neurologist. No news there though. He told me I had epilepsy, which was a shocking thing to hear for me, and that I would need to go on medication. Anecdotally, I asked how the medications he recommended me work, and he said and I kid you not "I do not know."

Why am I writing this to all of you, even in the somewhat wrong forum? First, I do not want to go on medication. That cannot be it. I cannot imagine that at 23 I would have to spend the rest of my life popping pills because the doctors cannot figure out what is wrong with me, or at least why these episodes occurred. Second, I want to see if any of you had similar experiences yourselves, or if you know of any people who have had such experiences, and whether you may be aware of natural treatments.

Being primal is all about getting back to our natural balance and these seizures indicate that something is still off balance within me. This cannot be genetic because no one in my family has ever had a seizure. What baffles me is how I could go for so long without one, and on top of that, because I practice my primal/paleo lifestyle, and have been for quite some time now.

Is there anyone here with advice, suggestions, recommendations (e.g., books or other sources), or anything else that can help me deal with this obstacle? Any help would be truly appreciated.

Thank you!