Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Seizures, epilepsy, and a natural solution page 2

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jturk View Post
    Well said.

(and if patients would just let us dissect their brains, then their epilepsy wouldn't be "idiopathic". but alas...)
    You're a neurologist?

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Most of the latest research on adult epilepsy and the ketogenic diet is coming out of John's Hopkins. Google JH+keto.

I started having seizures when I was 22 and I am now 49. I have had periods of being medicated and periods of telling the doctors to stuff their medications and going without. I have finally found a good combination of meds that works for me (zero seizures in 5 years). Taking meds is not the end of the world. You just have to find the ones that work best for you. There is a wide range of meds available but different people will have different success levels and different adverse reactions with each.

That said, I agree that the less meds needed the better. This is the whole reason I found PB in the first place, looking for an all natural keto diet (no Atkins franken-bars). I am hoping to be able to gradually reduce my dosage. You should never just chuck the pills and go from full dose to zero. That transition is very hard on your body (and could very well trigger a seizure in and of itself).

Let me know if I can help or answer any questions.

Robin

p.s. Nobody in my family ever had a seizure either. Not really a big factor in determining who gets them.

Also, once they rule out all the structural causes like brain tumors, blood vessel malformations, traumatic injury leaving scarring on the inside of the skull,etc. most seizures are what the doctors call "idiopathic" which is how to sound learned and medical while saying, "I don't have a fricking clue".
    Thanks for your insights Robin! Imagree that a drastic end to a medicinal regiment is never a solid option. Several years ago, when I was taking Trileptal and Depakote, I went off those pills gradually over time. Everything was going fine until now, which equals to about 4 seizure free, pill free years. The neurologist in the hospital where I was taken prescribed me a drug called Keppra. I took it for the first time today.

My hope is that I do not stay on medications forever. I do not believe that the reason for my recent seizure will forever be a mystery. My mother suggested homeopathic treatments, and a homeopathic doctor whom she knows spoke with me today and recommended that I take a good multivitamin alongside alpha-lipoic acid and a b vitamin supplement. I will also be taking ginko just in case. I want to also reduce my carbs. I increased my carbs over the last few months as inhave been training harder.
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    if you are looking for some more anecdotal information about diet and supplements you can take, dogtorj.com is pretty interesting. Good luck.

jturk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    You're a neurologist?
    among other things...

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fitmom View Post
    if you are looking for some more anecdotal information about diet and supplements you can take, dogtorj.com is pretty interesting. Good luck.
    Interesting. What this guy promotes is basically a primal/paleo lifestyle (minus the emphasis on limiting carbs in general). Out of all those, I have never stopped eating yogurts and cheeses (including cottage cheese). I also do drink diet soda from time to time (aspartame). Perhaps my diet needs to be re-evaluated again? In all honety, especially now that many of my favorite fruits are in season (cherries being the ultimate), it will be difficult to go ketogenic but I also understand that if that is the best solution, I will suck it up and do it.
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

New Cave Lady here is offline Junior Member
    I have read that Aspertame has been known to cause seizures! How much of that soda do you acturally drink? How many times a week? Also it takes
    some time to get all the aspertame out of your body. How about chewing gum? That's loaded with synthetic sweetners. Do an experiment, get rid of
    the aspertame for good and see if the seizures diminish.

catparade is offline Junior Member
    Interesting that this thread has come up. I have literally just got home from hospital after having a seizure this afternoon. It is only my second seizure ever (I had my first one about 3 months ago).

Unfortunately now that I have had more than one seizure, I have been diagnosed as epileptic and am now on a low dose of Keppra (probably forever). I HATE the idea of being on medication for the rest of my life but hate the idea of having a seizure even more so I guess I have to man up and deal with it.

I would be very interested to know if there are any other ways I can help control the seizures though. I usually follow a low carb primal diet (dont know if I ever reach ketosis though) and I'm not sure if it's a coincidence but both the times I had seizures were the day after I over indulged on carbs and wheat. Definitely another reason to avoid that crap.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by New Cave Lady here View Post
    I have read that Aspertame has been known to cause seizures! How much of that soda do you acturally drink? How many times a week? Also it takes
    some time to get all the aspertame out of your body. How about chewing gum? That's loaded with synthetic sweetners. Do an experiment, get rid of
    the aspertame for good and see if the seizures diminish.
    Yes +infinity. Get any and all aspartame out of your life. Normal brains can handle a small amount of it but those prone to seizures can't. Same thing with caffeine. It has got to go. Permanently.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by catparade View Post
    Interesting that this thread has come up. I have literally just got home from hospital after having a seizure this afternoon. It is only my second seizure ever (I had my first one about 3 months ago).

Unfortunately now that I have had more than one seizure, I have been diagnosed as epileptic and am now on a low dose of Keppra (probably forever). I HATE the idea of being on medication for the rest of my life but hate the idea of having a seizure even more so I guess I have to man up and deal with it.

I would be very interested to know if there are any other ways I can help control the seizures though. I usually follow a low carb primal diet (dont know if I ever reach ketosis though) and I'm not sure if it's a coincidence but both the times I had seizures were the day after I over indulged on carbs and wheat. Definitely another reason to avoid that crap.
    Try getting some ketostix from the pharmacy and test yourself. It's a good way to know how much is an indulgence you can't afford.

KristjanGunnarsson is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ketogenic diets have been very effective for epilepsy, especially in children. The one best researched though is an extremely strict form of the diet with fat as about 80% of calories.

I know of one study though that showed that doing the Atkins Induction Phase was very effective too, so maybe it's not necessary to go the extreme ketogenic route.

An article I wrote a while ago:
    The Ketosis Diet Plan and its Health Benefits

Please note that you would probably not have to remain on the ketogenic diet forever, some people get lasting results by doing it for a few years (same as with meds).

Definitely keep your doctor involved though. And be aware that ketogenic diets don't work every time.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast