Thread: Primal Journal~~wonderwall99 page

wonderwall99 is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal~~wonderwall99

Primal Fuel
    I am 42, 5'6" and currently weight 135. I started on the primal path 4 days ago and am finally getting into the groove I think. I started at 138 on Monday and have since gotten down to 135!! I know that is not typical weight loss and I was bloated up on a carb fest from last weekend so its good to feel my bloat gone!

I initially posted that I was feeling horribly tired, but I am starting to feel better. I totally upped my fat intake and bought some coconut milk until I can order some of the Tropical Traditions coconut oil products as I cannot get them locally.

I did my sprints last night by playing soccer for an hour. I made myself sprint full tilt every chance I had and I really felt totally revved up after playing. I wasn't tired at all and was sad that the game was over!

Here is what I ate yesterday:

B: 2 eggs, 2 slices bacon, coffee
    L: BAS...lettuce, 1/2 avocado, broccoli, cauliflower, cucs, sunflower seeds, italian dressing, 3 oz. steak and 3 oz. lake trout from last night.
    D: 4 oz. grass fed beef patty cooked in bacon fat, 3 slices bacon, curried cauliflower w/coconut milk (yummy!!)
    S: 4 strawberries.

I made the most amazing protein shake for breakfast this morning, chocolate egg white protein powder, almond milk (I am trying to use up my last quart then I will switch to coconut milk) and 1/2 cup canned coconut milk. I was sooooo delicious!!! I could get used to this

Today is my rest/move slowly day, since I have a sore knee from soccer last night it will be a welcome day "off". Later!
    Last edited by wonderwall99; 06-24-2011 at 07:06 AM.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Looking good!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Yes, it sounds like you are getting into the groove. Grok on!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Well, I weighed myself this morning, knowing full well I shouldn't but I am a bit concerned. After only doing this for 5 days I am now down to 133.5. I have lost 1" on my hips, .5" on my waist, but nothing on my thighs and my arms have gone down a bit. I am concerned that I may be losing muscle instead of fat because I am losing so much so quick?? I will just keep on and see what happens.

I wasn't really even hungry last night for dinner, but drank a quick protein shake just so I would have something in my tummy. I suppose that is still coming from my CW days. Here is what I ate yesterday:

B: Protein Shake-Almond milk, chocolate egg white protein powder and 1/2 cup coconut cream
    L: SAS, 5 oz. grass fed beef patty, 2 fried eggs
    D: Same as breakfast

Totals were 118 g. protein, 51 carbs and 104 fat for 28% protein, 13% carbs and 59% fat total 1,600 calories.

I know you all mentioned upping my fat, and I am obviously having a hard time doing that. I am currently using the Apex Body Bugg site to track my food and am thinking I might need to switch to a different site, like the FitDay everyone else seems to use. Maybe that site is a bit off, and it doesn't give me the macro nutrients.

As far as exercise, yesterday my daughter and I went on a wonderful 1 hour walk to the park. We finally had a day of sun around here after 5 days of dreary rain. Today is a beautifully sunny day and I hope to be out and about for most of the day. On a side note, I really do feel wonderful eating this way. My moods are very stable, I have plenty of energy and I when I am hungry, it feels way different than it did when I was eating more carbs and basically no fat at all. Again, my only concern is that I am losing muscle, but I think I need to up my weight resistance workouts a bit and hopefully that will encourage my body to gain some muscle mass and not just lose weight. Later!!
    Last edited by wonderwall99; 06-25-2011 at 05:28 AM.
    If it ain't no fun, then what's the point???!!!!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...wonderwall99%/

Hammermill is offline Member
    You are going to lose "weight" quickly when you transfer from a carb based to a fat/pro based diet. The majority of weight is "water" weight and psychologically it feels like it's muscle (the water is being "lost" from the muscle due to a lack of carbs/glycogen retention). This is normal and your weight loss will slow down over the next week or two.

Personally, when my scale weight gets down too low for me, I slowly add in more carbs until I get my weight back where I want it and then remove them slowly.
    Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.
    -Paul the Apostle, 1 Cor 6:19-20

Had a tough time this weekend, mostly because I ate way too much. I need to remind myself that if I fry up 1/2 lb. of bacon and it sits there on the counter I am going to keep eating it until its gone! I am still trying to get used to only eating when I am hungry. I grew up with a wonderful grandma who made sure we got three meals a day whether we were hungry or not and I am trying to overcome that, slowly for sure. I wasn't really hungry for dinner last night but I made this wonderful coconut milk chicken veggie curry that tasted so good. It was 7:30 before I got a chance to eat and I should have just listened to my body and skipped dinner last night. I ended up gaining 1.5 lbs. this weekend, although I am not that concerned about it. I need to start listening to my body more and realize I will not starve to death if I skip a meal because I am not hungry!

Thanks for the advice hammermil, I was thinking it was mostly water weight and not really fat. I need to stop weighing myself every day....another one of those CW wonderful habits I have developed and need to stop.

I am still having a hard time getting enough fat calories, and I am getting too much protein so I am still tweaking my eating. I ordered some coconut oil so once I get that, it should help me get enough. I need to go back tracking every meal until I get used to portion sizes and fat/protein ratios. My daughter and I spent almost the entire weekend outside. We went for a walk on the beach, rode our bikes and went for a walk. She spends a bit too much time in front of the TV (she is 8) so I am weaning her off that and having "TV free" nights and playing games instead.

Overall, I feel great. Later!

Back on track, but must repeat to self.....fat is good....fat is good!! Meals for yesterday:

b: skipped
    l: chicken curry with lots o'veggies and coconut milk
    d: sardines, 3 eggs, 1/2 avocado, tiny piece of 85% chocolate

No exercise today, feeling very lazy. Later!