Thread: Big hello to everyone from Wales page

muzz is offline Junior Member

Big hello to everyone from Wales

Primal Fuel
    Just thought I would start here in the 'meet and greet' before posting anywhere else.

My name is Rob, I'm from Wales in the UK. Been following the Paleo way of life (80/20) for past 6 weeks.

I'm hoping to get some information on jogging. how much is too much etc.

Bye for now.

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    Hello and welcome. I can't give you any info on jogging, since I don't do it, but a few people will likely have recommendations for you. Meanwhile, I hope you will enjoy this community as much as I have.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Helo a chroeso. Fy nhaid yn y Gymraeg . Don't try more Cymraeg on me. Just did that with the aid of an on-line translator to enhance the welcome.

There is so much for and against jogging. Cuts fat, improves cardiovascular, yet 'jiggles' your organs so fast walking is better. I am not going to get into all that. I defer to the 'pros'.

For me, fast walking is better. That is because I have seriously damaged knees that won't take the pounding of running or jogging. Walking--not strolling--with a pair of canes or sticks and biking--with pedals, not sticks--are more suited to me.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Tea and Cake is offline Junior Member
    Hi Muzz, from Yorkshire. I'm a runner (currently injured, ha!) who is thinking seriously about how to adapt, I've developed a preference for long-ish distances (20 miles+) over hills and dales using a mix of run/walk over several hours which seems a lot more primal to me that pounding the pavements and looking for times which is what I used to do. So would be interested in any responses you get or thoughts that you have.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Croeso! I lived in Swansea for a few years and Builth Wells for a short time. I'm a Yorkshire lad by upbringing and I'm back up here now - we have a common love of hills and rain

Jogging? Pah! Get walking and mix in periods of sprint where it looks like fun - up a hard hill, along the flat, all out on a downhill! Moderate exercise regularly is good with one or two periods of all out every so often. Whenever I see joggers, they look like they're in pain - really, it can't be fun, can it?

Get off the road, get into some fields, up some hills, around a quarry - something fun. Walk, run, climb, fall over, get covered in mud, soaked to the skin and go home beaming! You're a primal, damn it!

Since you've got back to nutritional purity, have you looked into getting back to biomechanical correctness? Have a look into the barefoot running thing. I'm sure there are a lot of "barefooters" here. Walking or running barefoot, or with minimal footwear is a revelation and such a release. It is almost impossible to "jog" in minimalist footwear - you just want to run and when you tire, you walk. Seriously! Barefooting is as big an epiphany as going primal.

See you around.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pjgh View Post
    Croeso! I lived in Swansea for a few years and Builth Wells for a short time. I'm a Yorkshire lad by upbringing and I'm back up here now - we have a common love of hills and rain

Jogging? Pah! Get walking and mix in periods of sprint where it looks like fun - up a hard hill, along the flat, all out on a downhill! Moderate exercise regularly is good with one or two periods of all out every so often. Whenever I see joggers, they look like they're in pain - really, it can't be fun, can it?

Get off the road, get into some fields, up some hills, around a quarry - something fun. Walk, run, climb, fall over, get covered in mud, soaked to the skin and go home beaming! You're a primal, damn it!

Since you've got back to nutritional purity, have you looked into getting back to biomechanical correctness? Have a look into the barefoot running thing. I'm sure there are a lot of "barefooters" here. Walking or running barefoot, or with minimal footwear is a revelation and such a release. It is almost impossible to "jog" in minimalist footwear - you just want to run and when you tire, you walk. Seriously! Barefooting is as big an epiphany as going primal.

See you around.
    +1

(Getting into minimal/barefoot requires a transition. Don't start out on a long walk/run barefoot or minimal until your feet have adapted. It took Mark a month to transition. During that time he crawled to the jacuzzi to soak his feet when he got up in the morning.)
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

muzz is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the warm welcome.

Bare footing - i have had a few sprint sessions on the beach which have been very successful. Although i ache a bit after, it's the good sort of ache. I can't imagine running/jogging/or walking barefoot anywhere else though. Are there people out there that 'hike' in bare feet?

I like the idea of mixing the session up with some sprints and a few other exercises, just as the 'WOW' suggests today. There are plenty of hills to sprint up, trees to climb and logs to carry. Maybe i will go on a few recce walks!

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    I'm doing the Llanberis path up Snowdon in VFFs this summer. I may descend in Huaraches if the going is suitable. That path is a long walk really, but there are periods that can get a bit intense and if the cloud is low it can be tough going. I do all my walking in VFFs, switching to Inov-8 boots for really muddy stuff. I do a "five minute run" (about a mile down and back up a serious slope - 400' of elevation inside a few hundred yards) in huaraches a couple of times a week. I really want to tackle Crib Goch in VFFs.

If you're put off by huaraches, try some around the house and garden. Also, if VFFs look too much like daft monkey feet, Merrell Trail Gloves are very well renowned and Inov-8 do a lot flexible soled shoes aimed at giving a barefoot experience in a conventional shoe - the XTalon 240 or Bare Grip 200. These shoes are all suitable for stepping straight into, but soak your feet after a good walk/run and take time to stretch/pull back your toes when they're up to boiling temperature. I think transitioning to barefoot outside is a lot quicker than many give credit for.

Mixing up your exercise is the key. I call it activity! Not doing any at all one day every so often also throws the body - keep it on its toes! In a word, "play" - have a laugh, have a huge amount of fun and don't let anyone stop you. Some days I like to run at a good pace over easy ground enjoying the pace and slow breathing, other times I like a mental uphill walk completely off trail that pushes me beyond what I thought I could do, pushing through the several "give up now and go back down"s ... mostly, just like a walk (I live at 1200' up and all around the land drops away) taking in the scenery and the long views.

Recce walks are right on! That's the kind of thing - get an OS Landranger map and explore where you live, along the trails, tracks and bridleways.

Here's my playground:

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/gallery_albums...t/DSCF7831.jpg

Door lintel in a ruined hamlet inscribed with 1618!

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/gallery_albums...t/DSCF7736.jpg

Have fun ...
    Last edited by pjgh; 06-27-2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Damn dyslexia :)

mozzy10 is offline Senior Member
    Well hello Muzz. Another one waving at you from Yorkshire.

Tea and Cake is offline Junior Member
    Apologies in advance for all the UK geographic references! Agree about walking local trails - I was lucky enough to be offered an early release package from work at the end of May and since then have walked the Bradford Millennium Way, Knaresboro Round and Harrogate Ringway, and hope to finish Leeds Country Way today - doing about 15 miles a day. I have been amazed and delighted by the network of hidden trails and paths in this quite urban area, many of which date back centuries. If you want ready-made routes, the LDWA (Long Distance Walkers Association) are a great resource, they hold regular challenge walks with food/drink stops laid on every few miles but beware, as these are usually provided by the local WI they are far from primal - fond memories of tables laden with bread and dripping and home-made cake - I need to have a serious think about how I approach these in future! The navigation aspect is also fun. I have also seen a small but growing number of people wearing barefoot shoes at these events lately, am thinking about these but I've got a strained achilles from doing too many trail runs too soon in low-rise Innov-8s and not countering by wearing heels for work any more - so step up slowly, wish I had.