Thread: Just starting my primal journey page

patrick53 is offline Junior Member

Just starting my primal journey

Hi there.

This is the end of my second week of PB and I thought Iíd make my journey official by posting a journal. Maybe this will help to keep things on track and Iíd really like to hear some suggestions/tips/advice on how to do things better from those of you willing to offer some constructive feedback.

I have done Atkins before but kept getting the low-carb flu and just didnít feel all that healthy. Besides, it wasnít a maintainable plan for me. Anyway, here I am 2 weeks into PB and I feel hopeful that this will turn into a successful long term adventure.

So far...
    Had 1/2 day of so of low-carb flu this time but nothing I couldnít power my way through with some fruit. After day#4, I did have an event where I woke up at 4 AM ďamp-edĒ up with energy as if I had just slammed a red bull. Had another 4AM episode on day #6 but none since; weird.

Goals: Stay active and fit for my kids. Get a six pack. Have more energy.
    More Measurable Goals:
    -BF=12%in 6 months (have to lose about 10% points).
    -Get cholesterol down.
    -Stop eating wheat & processed sugars completely
    -Be able to do 10 pullups...Iíll add more later.

Beginning STATS on June 7, 2011:
    Started: June 7, 2011
    Weight 183
    BF% 23.4

At 2 weeks into PB...so far slight progress.
    Weight 181
    BF% 22.8

I was hoping to see more progress in 2 weeks but this is positive.

Typical Daily Meals: ( I am a bit of a creature of habit...so I donít change this much)
    Meal#1: Whey Protein shake with almond milk, small bowl of berries, spoonful of coconut manna
    Pre-Workout snack: banana, ľ cup walnuts
    Lunch: 2 pieces baked Chicken w/skin, steamed veggies
    Dinner: Salmon patty, large salad w/greens, some raising, oil/vinegar dressing
    Evening: glass cabernet, slice of cheddar cheese

Averages through 2 weeks (thanks to fitday.com):
    Protein: 105g 420cals
    Fat: 109g 436cals
    Carbs: 110g 440 cals

Workouts:
    Ice Hockey - 1 day per week
    Weight training: 3 - days per week
    Walking: 7 days per week

That's enough for now. I am always interested in how to do things better...so if you have ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,

Patrick

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. I can't think of any suggestions. You are already in good shape, so you may not see the dramatic gains some people have.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

patrick53 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks Hedonist. I feel like I am in pretty good shape but I should be at 160-165.
    ---
    Alright. Almost a month into it and things going pretty well. Was very inspired by Dean Dwyer's story on Friday.

Energy levels up, way up and overall I'm feeling good. Mother-in-law probably convinced I'm nuts. Oh well.

The fitday.com food log has given me some more goals as I look at the data:

- stop drinking wine. About 3-5 glasses a week is too much for me. It is just one of those habits my wife and I evolved into. A glass of wine in the evening to relax. Maybe I'll consider wine a cheat meal one a week. Gotta go.

- already stopped drinking diet coke. Actually, it just sort of happened when the wheat/pasta/pizza was gone. Used to have one every day in the afternoon. Since starting PB, I have had 2 total. I think that I have discovered that food pairings/groupings (with grains) are trigger points for me. Wine with cheese & crackers. Diet coke & pizza or anything starchy. Coffee and toast. I'll keep my eye on these and see if I can find more that may get in the way of progress.

- Coffee w/creamer & Equal sweetener. OK. Gotta give up the Equal. I'll put that one on the back burner for now...and focus on the wine.

I'll post a "before" photo once I figure out how to get it off my new smartphone.

Thats it for now.

Patrick