Thread: How Much Meat and Fat To Replace Grains? page

Steve-O is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Hi guys,

For the past three weeks I've cut about 95% grains from diet. Problem is that I keep losing weight and I don't want to.

I was 5'9" 150lbs. Now I am 5'9" 140lbs. I've just begun eating avocado and eggs daily. I always ate meat at at least one meal a day. I'm trying to do two meals now.

My fear is that I'm burning protein and muscle.

Have any of you experienced the same thing when first cutting grains out? I can't imagine how much more meat and fat I will need to eat to stop losing weight.

Side note. In college I tried the vegetarian thing--only ate grains, fruit and vegetables. In one semester I went from 150lbs to 120lbs.

Any tips? I really would prefer it if I didn't have to consume multiple pounds of meat and fat daily. I also do not want to start on supplements.

Thanks!

grandma is offline Member

Use fit day or something similar to count calories and you can then figure out how much more you should be eating.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

mikecheliak is offline Junior Member

GO NUTS! Nuts (other than peanuts) are a great way to jack up some really healthy calories. Toss in a couple snacks packed full of nuts and fruit and you can easily start increasing your caloric intake without turning into a MEATASAURUS REX

JamieBelle is offline Member

I agree that FitDay is a great resource to figure out how much you need to be eating. Once you figure the total number of calories you need for your lifestyle to maintain your weight, you can figure out what you need to eat.

Protein: around .7 grams per pound of body weight. I eat 1 gram per pound of body weight because I strength train.

Carbs: this is dependent on how much you want to eat. I tend to keep mine between 50-75 g per day

The rest of my calories come from fat. My diet is about 65% fat, 20% protein, 15% carbs. I've done this now for three months, maintained my weight (wasn't trying to lose) but replaced fat with muscle.

Protein is the most important part of all this. You end up eating mostly fat, but the amount of protein is really crucial.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Excellent advice above from Jamie...

GotPrimal Guest

Im also curious, and sometimes the phrase gets left out here and there when it comes to protein intake goals.

Is the popular consensus on primal eating/strength training to intake 1g of protein for every pound of body weight? Or 1g of protein for every LEAN pound of body weight?

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

I go 1 gram per pound of my target body weight... which is about 10 pounds higher than I am now.

Acmebike is offline Member

Steve-O, other issues than just calories in/ calories out! Have you changed sleep, relaxation, stress levels at home/work/school, any change in your workout habits etc. Body composition is so much a hormonally driven thing!

And dropping grains, and subsequent carb reduction could mean a big drop in water retention with those glycogen stores. Water weighs quite a bit. Could that be some of the loss? I just don't see what important tissues grains could be supporting in your body, that meat and veggies is not able to support? Do I make any sense there? Grains don't really "build" anything.

I'd just stay on the Primal Blueprint as outlined in the book for a few months, give it a real test run. You may level off at a new weight (lower? higher?) but the body composition should get pretty ideal.

animalcule is offline Senior Member

I have gained some needed weight since going fully primal. 4 lbs in the last month and a half. I count calories because weight loss is a concern for me. In an average day I am getting about 2500 now (lots for a not-very-active 104 lb woman).

If, like many people, you find a primal diet makes you less hungry.. you're going to have to find some way on ensuring you're getting enough calories. They do count quite a bit for some people. 10 pounds in three weeks on a slim person is very extreme (some was probably water weight, but still), and I would be concerned.

It doesn't work like that for me. I have a big appetite and pig out on my fats and proteins.. I not only eat lots of meat, sardines and eggs, but I add butter, cheeses, (unheated) extra-virgin olive oil, to everything. I eat a couple spoonfuls of coconut oil (use it to cook with sometimes too) and I drink a half pint or so of heavy cream daily.

I haven't gotten much exercise since going fully primal, but seem to be putting on muscle (as well as some fat in certain areas, being a woman).

gazb is offline Junior Member

I dropped some weight when I started the Primal thing. I had put on a good 10kg or so during the final year of University due to eating lots of carbs and hardly exercising, although I was still far from being "fat". That came off quickly... and weight kept coming off (albeit more slowly), so I started to worry as I didn't really want to get any more skinny! It seems to have stabilised now, without me changing much. PB seems to get you to a good lean weight and keep you there, like Acmebike says.