Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not getting strength or physique results :( - WHAT HAS WORKED FOR YOU?? page

robbie1512 is offline Member

Not getting strength or physique results :( - WHAT HAS WORKED FOR YOU??

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I need to add some size and strength while losing fat. My muscles are like rocks, but very small and as such, my skin folds at the bottom of my bicep when I flex and my 14% bodyfat is accuentated by my small size. I am 182cm tall, 75kg, I can only squat 70kg for 5 reps (only 65 using strictest form), bench 70kg for 3 reps, deadlift 90 for 5 reps.
    Everyone I talk to tells me I am doing everything right, but have seen minimal results over the last 4 months. I am far behind in the stronglifts program, I have platued with chins and dips, my endurance is not improving etc.

I want to know ideas to get to about 80kg with 10% bodyfat. My goals are to increase my running speed and endurance, bench 90kg, squat 90kg, deadlift 120kg, press 45kg, chin bw+20kg, dip bw+20kg. I also want to cut down to around 10% bf and get an awesome PB physique like Mark Sisson.

Please, if you have made good progress eating primally etc, let me know what you did and what you think about what I am doing.

stephenmarklay is offline Senior Member
    You need to provide more details. Specifically, write down and workout week. In general if you are working out hard enough (last reps are all ya got) and you are resting well and long enough between workouts you should see some strength increase.

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Some guys have trouble gaining muscle size. (Certain racial backgrounds eg Asian, tend to gain slower but gain agility faster)
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Will Turner is offline Junior Member
    You do sorta need to provide more info, but you mentioned that one of your goals was to increase running speed and endurance. Are you working on that now, too? Hate to say it, but a bunch of distance running is almost assuredly going to slow your progress on Stronglifts. Is your bodyfat going down at all?
    Almost universally applicable solutions:
    - Eat more carbs after the weightlifting session (heavy squats = need some carbs for them muscles)
    - Rest more

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Too many goals. Need to pick a specific goal and work towards that... one at a time. You can combine a couple of relevent goals like gain muscle and increase sprinting speed. Things like cutting to 10%bf and increase running endurance go against the adding muscle and sprinting speed.

Lift heavy, do sprints and eat big for a year. Cut out all the distance running and the idea of cutting to 10% bf.

Ok thanks for the advice. To clarify, I am currently not working towards the endurance goal, I just listed it as a goal so it was obvious I want to be a well rounded athlete rather than a huge powerlifter. My order of priorities are strength & power, muscular size, fat loss, speed, endurance. My current routine on a weights day (non weights day same but without post workout meal):

7:00- Breakfast (sometimes fast through breakfast): Eggs, bacon, tomato, capsicum, mushroom or protein fruit smoothie
    10:00- Protein, beef jerky, nuts, fruit
    13:00 - Chicken, vegetables/salad
    16:00 - Protein shake, beef jerky, nuts/fruit
    17:30 - Protein shake, creatine
    19:00 - Steak, vegetables, potato
    21:00 - Beef jerky or nuts or nothing

Monday - Squat 5x5, Bench 5x5, Row 5x5, pushups (thinking I'm going to have one day a week of 'variation day' eg, Front squat 4x8, DB or Sandbag Bench 4x8, DB or Sandbag Row 4x8, weighted Dips)
    Tuesday - Nothing
    Wednesday - Squat 5x5, Press 5x5, Dead 5x5, Weighted Chins 3xF
    Thursday - Short walk sometimes
    Friday - Squat 5x5, Bench, Row
    Saturday - Rockclimb/sprints/paintball/sport
    Sunday-Nothing

That pretty much sums it up... I have trouble sleeping some nights as well, but generally get between 7-8 hours a night.

And I'm a 19 year old white Australian male, my genes also point that I should be able to build lean mass

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    Bear in mind I'm a newb but it looks like you're not getting enough fruits and vegetables.

You may also want to substitute an exercise for power-cleans. They're great for explosive power.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Take a week off. As a fellow exercise addict I can tell you that you need the right amount of rest for gains. I've been trying to cut down to 3 days a week (never happens lol) but when you exercise 4 or 5 days a week for a few weeks it's better just to ease up totally.
    Please note that you still need sunshine and occasionally stretching won't hurt.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

js290 is offline Senior Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast