Thread: Broken hand & training through it... page

captbitter Guest

Primal Fuel

Was doing a new workout involving weights last week and wound up dropping a 25lb. plate on my right hand.(dominant hand) Long story short I broke my index finger metacarpal(knuckle) in 3 places and fractured the middle finger metacarpal. Right hand is now casted and basically worthless.

My back story is I weighed 210lbs a year ago, began elliptical training on my 1/2 hour lunch breaks for 14 to 18 minutes. I used the pre-set workouts where it's hard initially then gets easy then gets hard again. Well, I decided when it got difficult for the 30 seconds I would go all out, then go with the flow of the machine for 1 minute then repeat.

Well I'm now down to 165lbs with a broken hand. Aside from weighted body squats(kid's backpack full of weights), situps, bridges, isometrics etc., what's the best way to train through an injury? I'm not changing my eating habits(just a statement of how I've been not rigid & unwilling to change)-85% raw fruits and veggies, almonds, meats, raw eggs, cooked eggs, coffee, beer-lots of it lately sorry.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

How long will you be out of commission?

g2baker is offline Member

Look at this as an opportunity to focus on IF-ing or something else as another aspect of your Primal routine. Or just something you haven't done yet but was hesitating. BTW Congrats on all the great progress you have been making. If you feel comfortable working out without pain (it may be awhile) you can always focus on your main muscle groups. For now, stay away from free weights, but you could do some machines. Leg press, extensions, curls. Chest fly would work too since you don't need to hold onto the weight with your hands. I'm sure you could use rubber tubing as well to work muscle groups without needing to hold on to things. How about making a primal workout video so you can show people how it's really done! I'm sorry for your pain, and you are awesome for coming to the right spot for getting advice. Although I don't know how much I can help except be a good cheer leader! Keep us posted and don't give into comfort foods. I've been reading on the forum a lot about how people avoid craving going into Ketosis. You may want to have an action plan available for that too. Take care. G2

mstrudle is offline Member

I broke my left middle metacarpal early this year, but it was not too bad of a break and it was in a cast for about eight weeks. What I did during that time was a lot of core and leg work: crunches, planks, regular slow running, and interval running. If you have a permanent cast be prepared for a lot of uncomfortable sweat though if you go for the latter two.

Just don't mess with your hand as much as possible until it is fully healed. Also, be prepared for a decrease in forearm muscle size and a huge decrease in grip strength. I took off my cast around May, and my left arm still isn't as strong as it used to be.

Good luck.

captbitter Guest

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! This will be my first broken anything so I'm still adjusting. Dr. says the hand will be casted for up to 8 weeks. So in the time off I really don't want to let go.

Damn thing is I had just started Tabata intervals, push-ups, body squats, lunges with weights, v-ups etc. & it was really kicking my butt, my chest was burning and sore again. Now I'll have to figure out another chest exercise...but in the meantime I'm going to keep on with Mr. Tabata, possibly sling on a weighted backpack and get plenty of protein and veggies.

Also been trying isometrics for the broken side bicep & shoulder. Is there any good science behind this? Just figured it's like lifting weights...muscle contracting.

A few years ago I was doing a lot of Martial Arts and we did a lot of isometric training. I got so strong. Additionally we worded on increased range of motion so strength through a large range of motion was confidence building for sure. If your shoulder is really bad, isometric training is great for that. You can pick up some really cheap rubber tubing to help strengthen your shoulder. Have you gone to a physical therapist?

captbitter Guest

No, no physical therapy yet. The arm-bicep-forearm and shoulder are all perfectly fine it's just the hand and wrist that's in a cast. Just did a nice body weight workout along the PACE vein, sweating, out of breath, legs shaking. Also did some isometric curls and lots of stretching prior. Thanks for the tip on the rubber tubing.

Keep up the good work!

captbitter Guest

Just did some isometrics for the calves, standard sit-ups and stood in a doorway and used the backs of forearms to "push thru" the frame.

Odd question based on observation. I cut my fingernails 2 weeks ago. The nails on my broken hand have not grown at all, whereas the good hand, the nails have grown out normally and are long overdue for a trim.

Why haven't the nails grown is my question? My theory is my body is using its resources to mend bone and nerves and tissue so it can't be bothered with growing fingernails. Very snooty.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

cb,

I'm guessing that maybe the circulation in the casted arm isn't quite as wonderful, since you can't really move it the way you normally would. It will get better.