Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eat Stop Eat - Ifing 24 hours 2x/week page

croí is offline Senior Member

Eat Stop Eat - Ifing 24 hours 2x/week

Primal Fuel
    Up until recently I followed the Leangains approach. I would fast for 16 hours (8PM - 12PM), and eat with an 8 hour window (12PM - 8PM). I've read up on the Eat Stop Eat, and thought this would be a good approach to break through my platuae that I have been going up against.

Yesterday was a good day for me to begin a 24 hour fast. I ate around 12PM, and worked a double shift, so thoughts of hunger never really crossed my mind. Now, fast forward to today, I was a bit hungry in the morning but I held off till 12PM. When I sat down to eat, I could barely get a few pieces of chicken and a few peices of salad into my mouth before I felt a mix of being stuffed and about to be sick. Needless to say, I put the food away. My question is what is the best way to break a 24 hour fast? Here it is 2 hours later, I'm not really hungry after eating so little food for lunch. But I want to be able to safely break a longer fast without having to run to the bathroom. Thoughts / suggestions?

john_e_turner_ii is online now Senior Member
    A few others have mentioned this same problem. It's not something I have encountered. After the few 24 hour fasts I have done, I have been able to eat full, large meals consisting of the normal foods I eat regularly with no ill effects at all.

croí is offline Senior Member
    I'm thinking I should maybe start light... eggs.. nuts? Somethiing to get my stomach back in motion but not too hard on the gut?

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    Same here as John. I just did -my probable- last 30 hour fast (not going to repeat it any time soon) and I just ate one fresh goat cheese, 1 avocado with coconut oil, 3 tablespoons of whey protein mixed in with a 4 egg omelet, a couple of white potatoes, broccoli and cabbage with loads of olive oil.

I'm probably on the other side of the scale: I need to self-control myself not to blow up after a regular fast. I think I did a pretty good job today and I still feel pretty full.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    hmm.... i use to have that problem when i was anorexic... FWIW

Waskydiver is offline Senior Member
    I have the same problem... I feel fine throughout the day... but when I go to break a 24 hour fast... Doesn't seem to matter how I do it (Eating a full, heavy meal, or a couple strawberries)... I always feel like I just ate about a pound of butter.

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Maybe your system is not ready for that long of a fast yet? Not everyone is cut out to do these extend periods w/o food.

I trained 1hr (heavy weights) about 3hrs before the end of a 40hr fast yesterday and broke it at 2pm with a meal of 6oz steak, 6oz sweet potato, 1.5c wilted bacon spinach salad with no ill effects.

sarahmasteller is offline Senior Member
    How about breaking the fast with a smoothie..or..maybe some soft food or something more liquid-y at first and then shortly after introduce something more like what you have been doing? Perhaps sticking with something very bland? Just some thoughts, I haven't had that happen so I can't speak from personal experience. . . .

erikJ is offline Senior Member
    Yup, you need to start with simple to digest things like some berries, fruit, greens, bone broth. Wait until the second meal to add protein and go easy, small portions, eat slowly. Almost every fasting protocol recommends this, even short 24 hour fasts (this is short for some fasting methods) i used to have watermelon back when I did 10 day juice fasts for the first day, then salad the next, then normal eating.

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Croi, as you suggest above, eggs and nuts are both great choices to break a 24-hour fast, from my experience. I, also, tend not to want to eat *anything* at the end of most fasts, and have to convince myself that it's "time to eat". Eggs and nuts are two items that I personally enjoy, so it's easier for me to 'stomach' them.

You might also consider playing around with your macronutrient ratios. The chicken and salad that you describe in your OP is a great primal meal... but if you, like I, literally feel stuffed after a few bites of that, you might want to consider adding some more carb-heavy items such as sweet potatoes or fruit along with your protein and fat. These carby items can also stimulate the appetite, in some cases.

This is just a pet hypothesis of mine, but it's also possible that our not-hungry issue has to do with digestive enzymes, and the body potentially shutting down their production after a fast of sufficient length. I tend to always take a digestive enzyme supplement with every meal or snack, so I can't say whether the enzymes contribute to my not-hungry problem, or help to solve it; I'd be curious whether others who introduce an enzyme with their meals (at least, meals following an extended fast) might be able to overcome this fast-breaking problem.
    Last edited by healthseekerKate; 06-23-2011 at 07:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast