Thread: Why such bad food reactions after going primal? page

wendyland is offline Senior Member

Why such bad food reactions after going primal?

So, I've been primal for about 25 days. About a week ago, I tried to eat something with wheat in it and I got sweaty and dizzy and had stomach pain. Today, I ate a few bites of a gluten free cake. Within 10 minutes, I was sweating and had major stomach pain. I'm still in pain. The only ingredient in it that I haven't had lately is agave nectar. I had agave a few years ago and tolerated it.

I've read that other people react really bad to wheat after going primal. Why is it that I tolerated these foods when I was on a SAD diet, but now react so strongly to them.

I actually don't mind because it helps keep me on track, but I'm curious at why I'm now so intolerant.

Edit: I re-read the ingredient list. The label says gluten free, but then has a disclaimer that it's made in a facility that produces products containing wheat. Maybe there was some contamination. Otherwise it has agave nectar, canola oil, eggs, coconut flour, coconut milk, unsweetened chocolate, vanilla, baking soda, arrowroot, & sea salt.

I was jonesing so bad for cake that I failed to read the ingredients or the warnings. I'm just surprised that after only 25 days that I can react so strongly to foods that didn't bother me a month ago (I'm sure they bothered me, but did make me retch)
    Last edited by wendyland; 06-23-2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: adding ingredient list

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    You've been cleaning out your system of things your body finds toxic, so to reintroduce grains or sugars was probably a shock to the system. It is a kind of good luck that you get such a clear reaction that this stuff is bad, and just steer clear.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I dunno, I've had the opposite experience. After my Celiac crisis was treated, I can eat wheat for weeks on end with relatively minor symptoms. I shouldn't of course, but I have.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    the primal blueprint can function like an elimination diet. That's how I figured out my gluten intolerance (probably celiac but I can't be tested). if you had a reaction to a gluten-free treat, first make sure it was really gluten free (not just wheat free, with spelt or barley or rye in it, or cross-contaminated by being cooked with gluten around). Next consider that you may be having a reaction to the sugar (agave is a form of sugar) or maybe one of the gluten-free flours like sorghum or corn (rice allergy is extremely rare but possible).

gojirama is offline Senior Member
    I now have evry severe reactions to any gluten. I can eat gluten free treats made with almond/coconut flours or flax, but I react to commercial GF foods or mixes. I'm OK with corn so I know it's not that (not that I eat corn much at all, as I think it's a bad thing to eat!).
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

sroelofs is offline Senior Member
    I had a bad reaction to walnuts. When I eat them now the pain quite intense. Had me worried for a while but I believe I found out the reason. Turns out walnuts have histamines in them. PrePB they wouldn't bother me because the food types I was eating counteracted the histamines. But postPB seems the food types I eat don't counteract as much. So walnuts are off my list now

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    This is one of the reasons why I won't completely eliminate anything.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

ShannonCC is offline Senior Member
    I think it's because if you eat something that you are intolerant or mildly allergic to everyday, you get used to it. You build up a tolerance. Then when you don't eat it for awhile your body loses the tolerance.

For example, I'm allergic to cats, but when I live with cats, I build up a tolerance and after awhile I don't notice it. The reality though is that I'm just low grade sick all the time, but used to it. When our last cat died I realized (after a few weeks or so) that I actually felt better so I decided not to get a new one. Now (years later) I just go into a house with cats and it takes about 15 minutes before I'm sneezing and my eyes are watering, whereas when I was living with a cat, I didn't have that reaction. It's not that I was healthier or stronger when I lived with a cat, just that my body was making do the best it could and building up a tolerance to them as well as it could.

I think it's the same with foods. If there's a food that you are perfectly fine with, you'd be able to go without eating it and not have problems on reintroduction. For example - seasonal foods. I only eat mangoes in the summer but they don't make me sick despite not eating them for 10 months at a time.

It's true though that if your digestion is totally out of whack, fixing it might make you able to tolerate more foods. But in the end, if you can't tolerate a food, I think it's best to not eat it, rather than eat it regularly and try to get your body used to it.

JenCat is offline Senior Member
    Same thing happened to me. I can eat the occasional piece of cake or cookie, but not pasta. At least I don't think I can eat it. I had it once since going Primal 2 1/2 years ago. Never again. It was that bad.

When I think back, though, there were definitely signs of a problem. (Like having to run to the bathroom after eating - especially after eating out.) I just got used to it, I guess. Now it happens so rarely that I can't help but pay attention.

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Your body was adapted to bad things before. Now it is not. Being adapted to bad things is not good and just because your body doesn't have a severe reaction doesn't mean it is any better for you. That is just nonsense. You can consume arsenic every day with only a slight reaction but eventually it will kill you. A severe comparison but valid nonetheless.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/