Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poultry fed Wheat page

dbrunetti63 Guest

Shop Now

Is there such a thing as finding Poultry that is fed no Soy or Wheat products? I have looked all over and cannot seem to find any.

maba is offline Senior Member

The closest would be free-range but that only means they weren't raised entirely on wheat or soy.

nina_70 Guest

Yes, you need to look for "pastured" or "grass-fed" poultry = chickens raised w/ access to grass, bugs and such. It won't be in the supermarkets, but there's farmers who raise the chicks that way. In some places it's seasonal (since you can't pasture in winter in places where the ground is covered in snow), plus feed might be supplemented with 'some' grain, but this is as close to fully free-range, natural-eating chicken as you can get. This site can help you to find a location near you:

http://www.eatwild.com/products/index.html

This site explains about pastured & grass-fed chickens:

http://www.lionsgrip.com/pastured.html

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

Have you tried contacting local farmers who sell to small retailers or direct to consumers? You'll most likely end up buying whole chickens, rather than pieces. If what you're looking for is a long drive away, it might still be worth it if you make space in your freezer and stock up.

Try the following website -

http://www.eatwild.com/index.html

Edit: cross-posted with nina. Isn't that a great website? Another good one is http://www.localharvest.org

lbd
    lbd is offline Junior Member

I feed my chickens bird seed because I found that they wasted much of the wheat and corn grains from the commercial feeds. I only supplement with bird seed during the winter months when insects, berries, etc. are non-existent in this area. My local feed mill owner makes fun of me for having diva birds that eat bird seed, lol. Unfortunately, I don't think most growers go that far. EatWild is a good site and you could call the local farmers listed to check. Chickens aren't really grass-fed, being omnivorous, but they will strip the seeds from grass as they scratch around and eat the occasional herb.

dbrunetti63 Guest

Thank you all for your help with this. I cannot eat gluten or soy so it makes it quite difficult to find chicken that is not fed one or the other. I will check out the websites. Thanks again!

Mistizoom is offline Junior Member

Tropical Traditions sells chickens raised on Cocofeed that contains no soy. Not sure about wheat, though. You could email and ask about that. They are pretty expensive though. I have purchased other items from this company in the past, but not the chickens.

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/pastured_poultry.htm

dbrunetti63 Guest

I actually bought a turkey from them (tropical traditions) and they do in fact feed the poultry wheat which is included in the "cocofeed" BUT the main ingrediant in the "cocofeed" is actually FISHMEAL (they do not advertise that at all though). The turkey tasted like fish (yuck). I love fish but when you get a turkey you want it to taste like turkey not fish. I have found a somewhat local farm that raises poultry without either soy or wheat. Will check them out and let you all know how it is.

Thanks again!

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

Interesting story about my backyard chickens. Two weeks ago my youngest daughter left home, and I found a few things in the pantry that she'd left behind. She laughed when I asked her, telling me the boxes of cereal were like 2 months old (we have a large pantry). I tried feeding the cereal to the chickens and they won't have any part of it. Supposedly healthy whole grain cereals, that I thought they'd love. They ate the almonds and raisins out of one kind, but won't touch the Total and Teddy Grahams. The sparrows aren't as picky, but I guess my chickens are spoiled. Like Ibd, my chickens love wild bird seed, though.

Mistizoom is offline Junior Member

Good to know about the fishmeal in Cocofeed. I guess I will avoid that. I can't find any pastured poultry around here without soy, glad you have dbrunetti63.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast