Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LBD's 25 days to Xmas/Winter Solstice/Saturnalia... page

lbd
    lbd is offline Junior Member

Day 1: OK, I decided to do a bit of a challenge for myself to work through the holidays. I love to cook and I get bored cooking the same old things over and over. I decided to pick a primal (or nearly so) recipe each evening and cook it - one a day until Christmas. I am not pretending that I will be 100% primal, but this is a way to keep track of how close I come to it. Tonight, I am trying the crustless quiche recipe that was posted on this site that Ingrid (?) so kindly collected in one place in Google docs. I altered the ingredients a bit - substituted some salad greens for the spinach, added some shallots, used some ham and leftover lebanon bologna as well as the called-for bacon. Used a little cheddar for the cheese part. It is cooking away in the oven now and I hope to have enough leftover for lunch tomorrow. I am also going to use DailyBurn or FitDay to calculate carbs/protein, fat, etc.

From Daily Burn:

This is the entire recipe (maybe 4 servings?): 1860 cal, 145g fat, 18g carbs, 104g protein

and 2 exclamation points from Daily Burn saying I have gone over my calorie and fat limits, LOL. I think I may rate these meals on the # of exclamation points I get in return This one rates an A+.

Acmebike is offline Member

Cool idea, you gonna post each meal, each day in this thread? I'll watch if so.

lbd

I'm going to try! I will probably concentrate on dinners since my breakfasts and lunches might be boring, but who knows? The crustless quiche is almost done. It smells wonderful! I hope there are leftovers - I'll see what my husband thinks of it. I'll follow up later...

Oh my, that was very good! I put 1/4 away for tomorrow's lunch so my husband doesn't eat the rest when he gets home. The key ingredient seemed to be the touch of cayenne. I also used all heavy cream instead of some whole milk and I used a fairly tall casserole dish, so it was almost souffle-like. A winner!

lbd

Day 2: Stovetop Meatballs from the PB recipe list. Again, with some modifications. I used 2 lbs grass-fed beef instead of 1 lb with 1 lb of chorizo. I subbed fresh salsa for tomato and some of the seasonings (kept the bacon grease though). Broiling the 18 meatballs under the broiler right now and they smell so good!

DailyBurn's breakdown:

Meal totals: 2150 cal, 163g fat, 11g carbs, 174g proteins

I figure this makes about 5 servings ( 3- 4 meatballs with sauce), but they are fairly big. Time to make the sauce - yum! The dog is doing his grumpy, I haven't had my dinner yet, grumble. I might have to give him a meatball with his grain-free kibble

lbd

Day 3: Griff's Yellow Squash Saute. I subbed zucchini because that is what I had in my freezer from the garden this summer. Delicious! I had it with some leftover meatballs from last night's dinner. Good combo. So far I haven't hit a dud from the recipes on this site.

I had some pomegranate seeds sprinkled with about 2 tsp of semi-sweet chocolate chips for dessert.

Daily Burn's breakdown for the zucchini dish:

Meal totals: 410 cal, 39g fat, 14g carbs, 4g protein

And don't forget I had the meatballs for more protein. The seeds and chips added about 11 more carbs.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

did you just eat the pomegranate seeds + chocolate chips with a spoon? Or... I'm not very experienced with pomegranates but I have one sitting on my counter.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

lbd

Yes, my daughter had stripped the seeds from the pomegranate to sprinkle in Thanksgiving drinks and we had plenty leftover in the refrigerator. They have stayed quite crunchy, juicy, and delicious. I just put some in a bowl, sprinkled some choc. chips on top, and dug in with a spoon. When I first ate pomegranate seeds, I didn't know you could eat the seed part. Now I just chomp them into little crunchy bits. I doubt if these are very primal, but I bet Grok would have chowed down on a pomegranate if there were some around

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

nice!

sounds good.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I ate a pomegranate just the other day. Such a wonderful fall treat.

When I was living the CW way, I would mix them into my yogurt cup. It was delicious! Yogurt makes me bloaty now, so I can't do that, but I bet they would be good in a bowl of coconut milk.

lbd

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Day 4: Going off the primal recipe list today and choosing Coconut Shrimp. This is supposedly Alton Brown's recipe (my amendments are next to each:

24 large shrimp, peeled, deveined and butterflied

1/2 cup cornstarch (used 1/8 cup, but I think I could have skipped it altogether)

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

4 egg whites (ran out of eggs, so I had to use 1 whole egg)

2 1/2 cups shredded coconut meat (probably closer to 1 cup)

Alton called for canola oil (really, Alton?), but I used coconut oil (of course!) and some palm oil. I only needed about 1/2 cup total. Dip in the starch (or skip), then the egg, then the coconut, then the pan. Beautiful! Watch the second batch so the oil doesn't get too hot. Only takes minutes to cook up a batch of 24 (I out about 6 at a time in the pan).

I ate about 12 of these babies and they were so good! I love fried shrimp and this fits the bill. I had a lot of leftover zucchini for lunch with some chicken, so I didn't feel the need for veggies. I finished up the pomegranate seeds though.

Daily Burn: (This includes the pomegranate seeds and is for 2 servings of the shrimp - about 12):

Meal totals: 1055cal 70g fat 43g carbs 61g protein ( I ate 1/2 of this)

Quite good - I will definitely skip the starch next time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast