Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Am I Getting These Wicked Cramps? page 2

Doulos is offline Junior Member
    I've added a cap of NuSalt into the mix after dinner. Was already taking ZMA at night for magnesium, and take 2,000 mg of calcium p/day. I've been able to dodge the cramps since I last posted this. (Thank you Jesus)

@jturk - I am eating a sweet potato pudding I make up (6 sweet potates & 4 apples boiled, then layered in a pan w/a bit of maple syrup, cinnamon, and craisins, cooked in the over @350 for 30 minutes and then mashed into a paste) after my workouts. But I wasn't usually eating it on my "move at a slow steady pace" days, so I make a point to eat a little bit of that every day now per your suggestion.
    Life is good now that I eat primal, visit my local LA Fitness once a week, and don't stress about life.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Eades did a post about low carbing and cramps, loss of electrolytes etc. He used to get wicked cramps in his legs and hands. Turned out he was very dehydrated as drank lots of coffee and not much water:
    The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt II

Lots of good info for drinking water to remain hydrated.
    Last edited by Sue; 06-25-2011 at 11:23 PM.

sooki is offline Junior Member
    This is exactly what happened to me. I'll admit that I went a little too low carb (I was pretty much dousing myself with fats and protein at the time). As others have mentioned, the cramps are either due to dehydration or mineral imbalances. I started upping my fruit and veggie servings in the past week (including bananas!) and have never felt better. All the skin, hair, and muscle issues I was starting to see completely reversed themselves. Take a look at your current food consumptions on something like Fitday and see whether you're really getting all the nutrients your body needs.

petriquor is offline Senior Member
    Decided to bump this thread again because for the first time I got another terrible cramp in my right calf muscle the morning of having a seemingly "good" meal day. As I'm trying to gain weight I ate a ton of pork and some other meat, turns out I may have gone overboard (I calculated it was probably around 300g protein for the day!) and I cut back on fruits/veggies, even if it was only a little.

Obviously the key is to balance your food, and don't get careless and ignore micronutrients. I really need to learn to plan things better instead of hoping I have what I need in the fridge any given day.

Captain Archer is offline Senior Member
    I noticed cramps when I tried to eat sugar alcohols.
    The first day of Primal I was like yay sugar alcohols! Now that I am 7 weeks in I don't get the cramps. After tracing it down to the sugar alcohol I eliminated them from my diet. They cause dehydration which causes your body to tighten which causes cramps. Research helped me understand that. Also the first night after eating around 50grams of sugar alcohol I nearly ended in the hospital.. never again will I do that.

Captain Archer is offline Senior Member
    and don't get careless and ignore micronutrients.
    As for micronutrients - 5 pounds of fruit vs 1/4 oz of liver.
    The liver wins in the micronutrients and macronutrient department.
    Nutrition Density Challenge: Fruit vs. Beef Liver | Free The Animal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12