Thread: Sugary cola drinks linked for first time to higher risk of gestational diabetes page

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Makes sense to me:

[quote]Although the underlying mechanism remains unclear, available evidence suggests that the main defect in the development of GDM is relatively diminished insulin secretion coupled with pregnancy-induced insulin resistance. The researchers discuss a number of explanations of their findings. Consuming a large amount of sugar-sweetened beverages could contribute to a high glycemic load (GL) by providing a large amount of rapidly absorbable sugars. High-GL foods induce a greater plasma glucose response after eating which can result in insulin resistance and impaired beta cell function. (Pancreatic beta cells make insulin.) In addition, higher sugar intake itself may lead to impaired pancreatic cell function.</blockquote>

http://tinyurl.com/ybw7usf

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Ya think?

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

lol OTB! You really do make me laugh often!

I have to agree though, soda + pregnancy = bad health for mom and baby? So not a shocker.

Neat that CW is trying to find out why though, and the science behind it is interesting.

Funny though, I hate soda, and always have, but when I was pregnant with my first I would crave it so bad that I would wake up in the middle of the night, climb 8 floors down to the basement of our apt building, and get a can of coke. I would drink a couple sips, shudder and throw the rest away. I did this at least once a month. Very odd...

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

whaaaaaaat?????

Are you suggesting I lay off the mega-mouth 64oz grape sodas with no ice?????

I don&#39;t think that could be bad for me OR my baby! I mean, it&#39;s GRAPE right???

That&#39;s how I have been getting in my daily fruit servings.

(just kidding, for serious)

lil_em that must&#39;ve been so annoying to you!!! I never knew how weird this pregnancy thing actually is until now... makes your body do some strange stuff.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

musajen is offline Junior Member

Um, sounds like a case for Captain Obvious.

maba is offline Senior Member

Sugary Cola maybe bad for some but it&#39;s wrong to say it&#39;s bad for everyone. If consumed in moderation, soda and by extension, HFCS can be healthy for people!

I haven&#39;t read any article stating so but I&#39;m sure PubMed has studies to support it.

Jokes aside, I hate soda of any kind. Period. Always though they were over-rated. If I&#39;m going to get all that sugar in my body, I&#39;ll have it in the form a chocolate torte or ice cream.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

maba, have you been possessed by the spirit of a certain troll... Out foul deamon, OUT!!! I command thee!!!

lol

@ FNW, it&#39;s was pretty weird, but I figured I was getting some good exercise going up and down 8 flights of stairs! rofl!!!

I still hate soda.

One other weird craving thing was with my second pregnancy. I was always totally disgusted by sourcream. I mean repulsed. Then I couldn&#39;t stop thinking about it. So I tried a little teeny tiny drop, and fell. in. love.

Still in love, to this day, but now I don&#39;t feel guilty that I love the full fat stuff!

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I hear that gestational diabetes is rampant with our H-G tribes and Mrs. Grok.

Right?

Hint, hint....

kam904s is offline Member

Soda is one of the few splurges I haven&#39;t been able to entirely purge yet. Diet soda at least. I don&#39;t do HFCS and only have a can of diet 7up a day but I still feel mega guilty about it. But I was high risk for gestational diabetes and my grandmother has type 2... they told me if I developed it I&#39;d have to take meds, be induced, etc. That&#39;s when I started looking and found MDA. Docs are AMAZED at how steady my blood levels are every time I go in. I even had one doc tell me I must be an outlier(sp?) because normally women who&#39;re as big as I was when I got pregnant almost always end up with gestational diabetes.