Thread: Need portable meal ideas. Not getting enough calories? page

RJPants is offline Junior Member

Question Need portable meal ideas. Not getting enough calories?

Primal Fuel
    I am a morbidly obese 23 year old female, almost 24! I've hit my highest weight ever at just above 315lbs. I've been overweight since I was very young, shopped in the pretty plus section in elementary school. I have never been good at sticking to diets, I lost about 30 lbs with weight waters a few years ago, and gained it back, plus some. Nothing lasts for more than a month or 2. My mom urged me to try the primal way of living, and I "went primal" just this last thursday. Other than eating 3 pieces of cake on saturday, I have been able to stick to it for the most part. One of my main questions has to do with the fact that I am stage managing a play with rehearsals monday through thursday, and then on the weekends. I have been bringing snacks with me to act as my dinner, and will be responsible for my own lunches on saturdays at an outdoor theater, so simple foods are necessary. Tonight for "dinner" I had salami with cream cheese, carrots and broccoli with ranch dip, and blueberries. (I have decided I am going to eat some dairy, including cheese and sour cream, and that sort of thing. Breaking my huge milk drinking habit is enough for now.) Yesterday and today, I have tracked my food intake on fatsecret.com and while I'm happy with my carb intake (only a little over 50g both days) I'm finding I am not eating near enough my goal for calories. I am aiming for around 2000 calories a day, but yesterday i only got 1515 and today only 1179. Can not eating ENOUGH calories be detrimental to my weight loss? I know the less calories the more weight you should lose in theory, and I'm not feeling nearly as hungry as I did when I was stopping for taco bell at the end of each night. Should I just listen to my body and not worry bout getting enough calories? Also does anyone have any easy portable meal ideas I can steal? I don't have a microwave, so something that is fine lukewarm or cold is necessary.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    I would only say a couple of things: Do check out griff's success story, as he's better suited to chime in. But, I would say, listen to your gut, literally. Listen if you feel something weird going on within; or, feel how your stomach is feeling if it's truly craving something. I wouldn't stress calorie counting, as I would inventorying what you're eating daily. Eating to the point of satiety is a personal thing, IMO.

The only snack stuff I tend to like is Larabar, because of its minimal ingredient inventory. It typically says two items. Surprisingly enough, I get satiated on one bar, alone. Then again, I'm a small fry at 135.
    Last edited by lssanjose; 06-22-2011 at 11:02 PM.

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    Congrats on taking charge of your health!

My personal feeling is, if you're feeling okay and eating a good variety of food - including quality meats (make sure your salami doesn't have nasty additives, gluten etc) - vegetables and leafy greens, then I wouldn't worry too much about trying to increase calories! The aim is to get really good nutrition, with good fats, proteins and vegetables. So definitely listen to how you feel. But I'm not an expert on this so I'll be interested to hear what others say. You might run a search on Mark's blog on calorie counting.

I do find portable food a challenge. Do you have an insulated chiller container that you could use for cold meats? Some chicken with olives, tomatoes and a bit of basil? Salads are always good of course. I've seen some good quality thermos insulated bowls in the shops, if you can afford one of those for taking hot soups. (Be a bit careful regarding lukewarm, it's easy to breed nasty bugs! You want either really cold or really hot.)

I always keep a nut bar or a ziploc bag of macadmaias in my purse for those times when I'm getting hungry and there is no decent food around.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

Juliemama is offline Senior Member
    Hard boiled eggs...nuts and seeds, beef jerky (be picky and read ingredients, or make your own) giant salad with some leftover meat if you can keep it cold, (chicken, turkey, pork tenderloin, shrimp, salmon) canned/bagged fish you can open and dump, caprese salad if you are doing dairy (fresh mozz, tomato, basil, olive oil, vinegar). Cold Asian stir fries minus the rice (or add some if you want- your call)..cook up a mess of bacon one day (use a cookie sheet in the oven) and use through out the week. Wrap deli meat (turkey or roast beef) around avacado slices.. greek yogurt..I actually enjoy cold beef tenderloin, flank steak or pork tenderloin cold, dipped in a mustard sauce. Umm..what else? Off the top of my head? Shrimp cocktail, pate on veggie rounds (instead of crackers!) Cottage cheese with berries, trail mix, celery/carrots dipped in almond butter, I guess I could go on? Make some "egg muffins" (someone put up a link, quick!) to tote with you, or grab on your way out the door...
    I know it SEEMS like your choices are limited right now, but only because you have not seen how easy it is to be Primal "on the go"..some planning is necessary, though...Bake your bacon while you boil a dozen eggs..prep your veggies and pack em up in little to-go containers..get the dips and dressings made. Boom! You can be good to go in 30 minutes..for days!! Congrats and enjoy!
    And eat until you are satisfied.

Hopefully you can bring a little insulated food "tote" with you for the temp sensitive items,and toss a frozen pack in there, but if you are going to nosh it within 4 hrs, and it doesn't contain raw meat, eggs, seafood, or dairy, then go for it!

Thespianpythia is offline Junior Member
    Frittatas and sliceable egg casseroles are great as portable food, and easy to make - plus, you can add almost anything to them (veggies, meat, cheese) to make them into substantial meals. Here are a few links to good recipes that Mark has up on MDA:

Sausage & Egg Breakfast Bites | Mark's Daily Apple
    Primal Breakfast Casserole | Mark's Daily Apple
    Frittata Aleta | Mark's Daily Apple
    Omelet Muffins | Mark's Daily Apple

Frittatas are a great way to use up random stuff you have kicking around in the fridge, and to get lots of vegetables, protein and good fats into a "bar" meal. If you make up a batch of one of these, it'll last several meals, and save time fixing food in the long run.
    Last edited by Thespianpythia; 06-23-2011 at 04:00 AM.

RJPants is offline Junior Member
    thanks everyone! I do have access to an insulated bag, though for dinner it's not too much of a problem, since I can start eating it after a 45 minute car ride, so it doesn't have too much of a chance to grow bacteria. Thanks for the recipes and ideas guys!

Soup! Make soup with whatever you don't throw in your frittata...cold gazpacho is good too! (you can toss whatever you want in there from tomatoes, celery, carrots, to watermelon, mint, pears) knock yourself out! Enjoy the journey and try something new every day!

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    You will find that planning ahead is a huge key when it comes to succeeding at this lifestyle - because (especially in the beginning) the stuff you make yourself will be the only things you can trust.

A big ass salad is a good choice (be sure to include some good animal protein on that baby - I usually use last night's leftovers).

BBQ is another standby meal for me - I slow cook a pork roast for 6 hours covered in foil with 2 cups of apple cider vinegar and 6 tablespoons of dry flaked red pepper. When it's done let it sit an hour and then tear it apart with your fingers or chop it on a block with a cleaver and douse it with another cup of vinegar and two tablespoons of flake red pepper. Store in ziplock sandwich baggies - toss two in the fridge and the rest in the freezer.

You might also consider starting the Leptin Reset some of us are doing if snacking is a real issue - the details are in the link, but your liver ends up producing your snacks for the day provided you supply the three meals.

Also, snacks for a meal - especially good fatty primal snacks - can easily have enough calories to keep you going. Macadamia nuts have tons of calories, as do salami and cheese - just look out for fillers in the salami.

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't wanna scare you off with nitpicking, but unless the ranch is homemade, from homemade mayo it's likely got some seriously nasty stuff in it. Blue cheese dressing is super easy to make at home and doesn't have the nasty PUFAs and corn syrup (I'm totally with you on the not giving up dairy just yet).

I like to make scotch eggs as a portable meal. hardboil eggs, peel and roll in fresh grated parmesan, then wrap in raw breakfast sausage (or better yet just seasoned ground pork) and then roll in the parm again and bake until the meat is done. (traditionally scotch eggs have breadcrumbs where I use parm and are deep fried).