Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fooled by a lemon.... page

nina_70 Guest

Just a funny story I thought I'd share. We're renting our current place and there's some random fruit-trees out back.

So, we recently got our first "harvest" and I ate one of the fruits, what I thought was a small orange. It was quite nice...fairly sweet & juicy. Really quite lovely. I had a few of them over several days. I told the landlord and complimented him on his nice orange trees. That's when I found out, to my surprise, that my landlord only has lemon-trees.

It's fascinating to me how my taste-buds have become so very sensitized to sweet after going Primal. So much so, that I was fooled by a lemon...HA!

g2baker is offline Member

**chuckles to self** very funny!

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member

Wow that is quite amazing! Is the skin more orange than a typical yellow lemon?

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

maba is offline Senior Member

That's kind of like how lower %age dark chocolate feels like milk chocolate to me now. It must be so nice to have lemon trees in your backyard.

nina_70 Guest

MariaNYC - Yeah it was...it wasn't exactly a dark orange color, but wasn't exactly bright yellow either. I just figured maybe it was lighter because it was direct from the tree. And...it was round-ish in shape rather than more pointy like regular lemons. Granted, now that I know, I guess I can see the difference. But...I was totally fooled.

nina_70 Guest

maba - totally with you on the chocolate. I recently started making that chocolate-bark from the other thread (coconut cream, coconut oil and 100% cocoa) as my "treat". Two days ago, I ran out and had some store-bought 75% chocolate...man, did it taste like milk chocolate to me!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

It's hard to differentiate citrus sometimes just by looking. Size and shape may or may not be definitive. And often the skin looks nothing like what you see in the grocery store. Mold, "dis"coloration, aging. None effect the flavor inside.

Also, there are lots of hybrids and then there are the trees grown from seed. Some of the most wonderful grapefruit I've ever had, and others agreed, was from a tree from seed. Our neighbor found it many years before and transplanted it. The fruit had real thick skin, but what was inside was heaven.

maba is offline Senior Member

Nina, I tried your recipe the other day - didn't have coconut cream, so used coconut flakes instead - it hit the spot. The only downside of such a simple recipe is that I tend to satisfy my chocolate cravings instantly w/o giving it time to go away. I got coconut cream/butter today, so I'm going to be making your version soon.

OTB, I read somewhere that the citruses you find in grocery stores actually have food coloring on them to make them look so shiny and perfect.

nina_70 Guest

maba - yeah, it's almost *too* easy to satisfy the chocolate craving

By the way I found the bark was better if I let it solidify in the fridge. When you first make it, it's almost fudge-like and would be very easy to eat all at once, but if you refrigerate it, it gets hard and more "bar-like", so you tend to only eat slivers.

Last time I made it I used ~2-3 tablespoons coconut creme, ~7 tablespoons cocoa, a tad of coconut oil, ~1 tablespoon coconut flakes and enough boiling water to soften & mix everything together (not sure how much water...maybe 1/8-1/4-cup? do it to consistency). I've been spreading it into a piece of foil with the ends turned up (to make a kind of "dish"). Then, refrigerate until hardened.

g2baker is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Okay - where is this recipe that you all are talking about?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast