Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you use a MANDOLIN SLICER? page

Viking is offline Senior Member

Do you use a MANDOLIN SLICER?

Primal Fuel
    I want to be able to slice long thin strips of vegies for 'lasagna' and also shred various vegies like cauliflower, cabbage, etc. I'm thinking a mandolin slicer might do the trick but I have never owned or used one. I have seen other folks have posted they use one and like it.

I have a semi-cheap food processor with a slicing blade and feeder chute but I think it basically does cross cuts, i.e. discs of zuchini, not lasagna noodle shaped.

Can you recommend a mandolin or other solution? What kind do you use? THANKS!

PS - If I get a mandolin I will probably get some kitchen gloves to go with it, having read about visits to the ER and numb spots on fingers.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I used to have a mandolin and ditched it because I kept making my finger shorter and shorter...

Now I'm older and (supposedly) more careful, so I bought another one. It's really great for slicing all kinds of squash and other veggies. I love it!

But you do have to be extremely careful with it.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    YES!

oh wait... you meant for food....neeeeveeeermind.

busymom is offline Junior Member
    Just one piece of advice: use.the.handguard.every.single.time.

I did regrow the part of my finger that I lopped off, but MAN was it ugly! Cauterization is not pretty. And it's still numb 2 years later. sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    I used to have a mandolin and ditched it because I kept making my finger shorter and shorter...

Now I'm older and (supposedly) more careful, so I bought another one. It's really great for slicing all kinds of squash and other veggies. I love it!

But you do have to be extremely careful with it.
    LOL on the finger thing. What kind did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    YES!

oh wait... you meant for food....neeeeveeeermind.
    Yes, for food, not the neighbor's dog or child. Or whatever you were thinking.

kitana is offline Senior Member
    I have this one

It's not an uber-kitchen-geek mandolin, but I wanted to see how much I'd use one so I got this one to experiment with, and it has worked great for me. If I ever decide it's inadequate - I'll probably look for something similar. I like the small size, easy storage, and how easy it is to clean. I'm a little 'meh' on the attachment that came with for holding veggies and protecting your fingers. I typically don't use it til I'm down to the last little bit and then it's kind of annoying to switch, but I DO know how much I like having a slicer now, and the conclusion is that I don't want to be without one. I just eat too many veggies and using this slicer is so freakkin' fast! You can really go through a mountain in a short, short amount of time. I even like it for dicing - just start with a pile of perfect slices and give a few more chops and it's a fraction of the normal time.

I'm glad I experimented though - some of those high end ones are super spendy and I have enough useless gadgets sitting around.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I just got a crappy cheap one from Target. I wanted to make sure if had matured enough to not slice myself up before spending the big bucks on a good one.

Now that I'm actually using it more, I'm thinking I'll look around some of the restaurant supply companies and see what they've got. We have a ton of them out here.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Yes, for food, not the neighbor's dog or child. Or whatever you were thinking.
    Dogs?

Nah, what you want there, see? What you want there is a Deli Slicer.

Thinnest slices evar.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    A few years ago I asked for one for Xmas. I have barely used it. Cooking for two, i just don't need it.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast