Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How's my diet overall? page

Knifegill is offline Senior Member

How's my diet overall?

Primal Fuel
    Here's what a typical day might look like for me.

Morning:
    Lots of water
    About 10 ounces of coconut milk
    Two eggs
    Maybe a green apple or some almonds/pecans if I have them around

Spread between my two half-hour lunches:
    About half a pound of nitrite, etc. free meat, perhaps tuna, oyster, turkey or similar
    An avocado
    A few leaves of collard greens or kale
    A red pepper
    A green apple
    Sometimes more eggs
    Can of green beans
    More pecans
    A whole zucchini or two

When available, I'll have an entire cantaloupe or fresh chunked coconut, sometimes a mango or some berries.

Dinner:
    Usually just a big bowl of meat (2-3 pounds I guess) cooked medium high in olive oil. Could be liver, turkey, salmon, and looking to expand on organ meats and add game meat to the menu but really not knowing how to find any.

Could somebody plug this into fitday or something and see if I'm missing out on magnesium, vitamin D or something like that?

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    You can plug it into fitday yourself lazy bones!!

Won't I get spam if I join?

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    No, for chrissake. You eat three pounds of meat in a bowl for dinner? I can tell based on looking at your list you are getting 2-3 times as much protein as anyone would ever recommend outside of hardcore bodybuilders.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

I do walk all day. I'm a phlebotomist. And I do my sprints every week and haul 80 pounds up a hill more frequently than ever, perhaps every third day. Not sure how two to three pounds of meat is that much. How much meat do you eat?

Okay, so besides reducing the meat, any other ideas? I mean, do you see enough vitamin C, magnesium, etc in there?

pjgh is online now Senior Member
    As a gut instinct, I think more eggs and more varieties of vegetables. Also look at really "seafoody" veg like samphire or sea spinach for the full whack of iodine. More shellfish? You've got oysters in there, but there are clams, mussells, cockles, winkles and so on. Cockles and kale are really nice with a huge glob of butter on top! In fact, seafood and green veg seem to go together well. More of that, I think.

Maybe concentrate on seafood and green veg for lunch and then meat and varieties of veg for dinner. You'll get ALL your vitamins from that. You'll get all your protein and fibre from that.

What about probiotics? Natural yoghurt? Pickles?

More seafood and veggies does round out the plate a bit! Thanks so much. I'll add those for sure.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I do walk all day. I'm a phlebotomist. And I do my sprints every week and haul 80 pounds up a hill more frequently than ever, perhaps every third day. Not sure how two to three pounds of meat is that much. How much meat do you eat?
    Apparenty, too much muscle meat—and that's way too much—can damage the thyroid gland.

Muscle meats and eggs are very rich in methionine, which increases our need for homocysteine-neutralizing nutrients (vitamins B6, B12, folate, betaine, and choline), and also increases our need for the amino acid glycine, found most abundantly in skin and bones.
    The Daily Lipid: Anyone Doing Paleo Without Liver, Bones, Skin, and Greens?

I'd suggest cut it down to no more than 1 g of protein per pound of lean body mass, as Mark suggests for "active athletes". That's probably more like 10 or 12 ounces of meat a day—use fitday if you want a numerical handle on it.

You might add in more greens and some liver and kidneys for folate. Also bone broths for the gelatinous material for the glycine.

Magnesium and vitamin D will both be low. You really need a supplement for Mg, since modern farming methods apparently cause it to be depleted from the soil. Vitamin D, you'll need fish, specially fish liver—or D3 pills. But make sure your A is high, too, if you ramp up D.

You could also add some lactic-fermented foods. Those are good for gut health.

Great advice!

I tried making bone broth. It's just yellow water. No idea what I did wrong, but somebody in the thread said I need more bones. For now I'm eating bone marrow, and have been eating grass-fed beef liver and organic chicken liver for awhile.

I eat two zucchinis, some collards or kale, and two green apples per day. Sometimes a red pepper or a melon as well. Think I need more greens? I know it can't hurt.

I can also reduce the meat to about a pound. But i don't eat much muscle meat as it is, so how does that affect things?

I do supplement Mg, Calcium and zinc. My one-a-day is a little short on those, so I had to add them in! It's sad that our veggies suck these days. Used to be you could just eat them and not have to worry about how depleted they might be.

I eat skin-on wild salmon a lot, probably every other to every third dinner. That is muscle meat, right? I wonder which muscle meats are the worrisome ones.

Fish liver? Like cod liver? I'll bet I could find that! Liver is high in vitamin A right?

I do eat hard cheese, lactose free. Not sure exactly what you mean by lactic-fermented. As in the lactose is fermented out? Like goat yogurt? I really can't touch most cow products, lactose gives me boils and turns into a brick that can take up to two weeks to pass through my system. No ice cream, no shakes. But goat is great, and cow cheese without lactose is well-tolerated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast