Thread: Ate the marrow...cooking the bone! Any ideas for eating it? page

Knifegill is offline Senior Member

Ate the marrow...cooking the bone! Any ideas for eating it?

Shop Now
    I searched and found a few threads about how to make the gelatinous bone soup. But then what? Do I put it in a shot glass and inhale it? Eat it with a spoon? Melt it over spinach? I used two tablespoons of good apple cider vinegar, which is probably too much for one bone. It's in a crockpot and this is day two. I'm going to check on it now. Pics to come.

Ingredients:
    Grass-fed beef bone, sans marrow.
    Well water, fluoride free with a hardness of 3ppm.
    two tbsp apple cider vinegar.
    Cooking time, estimating three days to really get it thick and loaded. If I did this right.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    The freshly baked marrow, which I used a chopstick to effortlessly dislodge. I had to put it in a small ceramic dish to finish cooking it, though. I drank all the oils and ate every piece. I didn't need breakfast today and probably would have skipped lunch if my greens weren't getting limp and their nutritional value was isn't in limbo.

The pleasantly boiling top

Fat sizzles out of the base

Bone.

Stew pot. Should there be so much tissue hanging from the bone?

And my new blue panaque in case you like plecos:

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Your blue panaque looks delicious.

Eagerly awaiting pictures of how it turns out when you cook it.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    But then what?
    ....... it's soup. What do you usually do with soup?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    You need more bones! When I make bone broth, I'll have about 10 to 15 bones, usually smaller than what you show. First I cook them and eat the marrow although I'm not picky about getting it all out. Then I put the bone, without the marrow, in a gallon freezer bag. As I eat more and more marrow I keep adding the bones without the marrow to the bag. Once I have 10 to 15 in my bag I'll make the broth.

I fill up slow cooker with as much water as possible and let it do its thing on low for about 2 days. Then I'll strain out the broth into 2 cup containers and freeze it.

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    As a kid, I used to just love eating the marrow when my mother made beef stock from bones. ok, at the time I ate it on bread, but the principle remains: marrow is the most incredibly delicious food on earth. even way better than bacon. And when she made a ham, which always had a nice layer of fat around it, the outer layer of fat would brown beautifully. My sister and I would share that browned fat. hmmm...maybe I was primal without even knowing it???

I do intend to make some beef stock soon. Willing to listen to any suggestions to make it the best it can be.

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    cup of hot broth, cup of cold broth, add veggies and/or meat and make soup, use it in recipes that call for broth or stock.