Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What I call the Almond Cookie Fiasco: AKA Maple Flakes /= Honey page

kam904s is offline Member

Primal Fuel

Word to the wise - substitution is not always your friend. Or, in other words, please laugh at my misery so I can get SOMETHING good out of this gooey waste.

Thanksgiving (or, as I've taken to calling it, Gluttongiving) tackled us pretty lightly this year with one notable exception. Desserts. The hubs was munching my favoritest-omg-cookies-&-milk right next to me. In bed. Every night. For a week.

Naturally, I found this to be... distracting. (Hey, what can I say, I'm eight months pregnant and cookies still tempt me on occasion. Not frequently, but he might as well have been dancing around me and waving them under my nose.)

MDA to the rescue! In a hormonal funk but determined to still "be as good as possible" I came here, found the Almond Flour Recipe page in the archives and tried to make the almond cookies. I had all the ingredients save one... maple flakes. 2am. Cravings. No maple flakes. What to do?

"I know!" I said to myself, patting me mentally on the back, "I've got some raw honey here! But... how much to use? It calls for a cup of maple flakes... that seems like a lot of honey... hmmm, how about... 3/4 of a cup? That sounds about right. Aaaand, a sprinkle of almond slivers for crunch. This is going to be awesome! Yay primalish cookies!"

Err. No. Wrong. Do not pass go, do not collect delicious, healthy-esque cravings-killing cookies.

Honey does not, apparently, equal maple flakes. Apparently only maple flakes equal maple flakes. Adding 3/4 of a cup of honey to this recipe gives you a gooey, almond-studded floopy mess that sort-of-maybe resembles cobbler. If you squint. And don't actually put it in your mouth.

On the bright side, awful as it was, I learned that I've got more resolve than I initially thought I did. Once I realized that carbs in honey don't equate to the carbs in maple flakes... well, I just tossed the whole "pan". (Not the pan itself. That is my precious baby and I need it for other, not hormonally-induced-insane-type cooking.)

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

how funny! Thanks for sharing.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Aw... liquid sweetners can be tricky!

Good for you staying strong!

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Hehehe been there done that with various culinary experiments!

Top marks for effort

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

I don't even know what maple flakes are.

Are they just like raw maple syrop chips?

Ecala is offline Junior Member

kam-- just throwing this one out there- because we're talking almond cookies...

but I made the Almond Macaroons featured here

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dessert-recipes/

the other night and they were really good!

I didn't have a cup of almonds, so I used about 1.5 cups of almond flour instead and oh gosh, these cookies were a hit! I'm going to just post the recipe again so you all don't have to click on the link. (and as an FYI, the recipe with almond flour makes a heck of a lot more than 4 cookies. It made about 10.)

1-1/4 cups almonds

1/8 teaspoon cinnamon

2 tablespoons grated lemon peel

2 egg whites, beaten

1/4 cup raw honey

2 tablespoons lemon juice

Grind almonds coarsely. Combine cinnamon and lemon and add. Beat egg whites very stiff, fold in honey and continue beating. Fold in lemon juice with almond mixture and blend. Drop from a teaspoon onto ungreased parchment paper. Bake 30 minutes at 250 degrees F. Remove from paper while still slightly warm. Makes 4 macaroons.

captbitter Guest

Okay 2nd post here but have an AWESOME almond cookie recipe-mildly primal I think! NOT trying to outshine the previous posts, just sharing a recipe that has worked for me.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

-2 cups almond meal(1 bag-12oz. raw almonds chopped up in a coffee grinder)

-1/2 tsp salt

-1 vanilla bean OR 1 tbsp vanilla extract

-2 eggs

-1/2 cup raw unfiltered honey

-2 bars dark chocolate(chopped into bite size pieces)

1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.

2. Stir until ALL ingredients are well incorporated.

3. Drop by the spoonful onto an unsalted buttered cookie sheet.

4. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.

5. Cool, serve and enjoy the goodness.

kam904s is offline Member

Holy moley those recipes sound gooood. My husband was looking over my shoulder while I was reading your replies and now wants to try making the chocolate chip recipe right away. Which is funny, cuz I had to hide my dark chocolate from him a few weeks ago and now I have to give up the hiding place in order to access my stash. lol

captbitter Guest

EDIT to my previous post:

2 1/2 cups of the almond meal/flour (the 12oz. /340g bag I use grinds down to 2 1/2 cups)

Also I enjoyed the raw batter a little too much.

captbitter Guest

Okay...tomorrow(Wednesday) I'll make these cookies and support it with pics! Be prepared to drool cave dwellers! Grok ON!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast