Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What I call the Almond Cookie Fiasco: AKA Maple Flakes /= Honey page 2

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

captbitter, what size chocolate bars? Sounds gooood.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

captbitter Guest

I just used the 3.5oz bar of Green & Black's. Also used the Cadbury dark chocolate bars when I first made these and ate half the batter. Either way they were fantastic.

captbitter Guest

EDIT TO THE RECIPE! I forgot to add in 1/2 TSP of baking soda...oooops!

kam904s is offline Member

I think we're going to use the Trader Joe's 86% dark chocolate bars I picked up a few weeks ago. They're a touch too bitter for me to just eat (still haven't acquired a real appreciation for bitter yet) but I think they'll do fabulously in these recipes.

captbitter Guest

Cookies are in the oven...when done I'll post pics and recipe in the Recipe Forum.

captbitter Guest

Okay almost done. Took a few cooler ones out and plated them up for everyone. The only thing different I did this time was I added 1/2 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut, still came out fantastic!

sunne1954home is offline Junior Member

almond cookies

i just made the almond cookies and substitued with 1 teaspoon pure stevia, i teaspoon each cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmetg.....yummy!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kam904s View Post
    Word to the wise - substitution is not always your friend. Or, in other words, please laugh at my misery so I can get SOMETHING good out of this gooey waste.

Thanksgiving (or, as I've taken to calling it, Gluttongiving) tackled us pretty lightly this year with one notable exception. Desserts. The hubs was munching my favoritest-omg-cookies-&-milk right next to me. In bed. Every night. For a week.

Naturally, I found this to be... distracting. (Hey, what can I say, I'm eight months pregnant and cookies still tempt me on occasion. Not frequently, but he might as well have been dancing around me and waving them under my nose.)

MDA to the rescue! In a hormonal funk but determined to still "be as good as possible" I came here, found the Almond Flour Recipe page in the archives and tried to make the almond cookies. I had all the ingredients save one... maple flakes. 2am. Cravings. No maple flakes. What to do?

"I know!" I said to myself, patting me mentally on the back, "I've got some raw honey here! But... how much to use? It calls for a cup of maple flakes... that seems like a lot of honey... hmmm, how about... 3/4 of a cup? That sounds about right. Aaaand, a sprinkle of almond slivers for crunch. This is going to be awesome! Yay primalish cookies!"

Err. No. Wrong. Do not pass go, do not collect delicious, healthy-esque cravings-killing cookies.

Honey does not, apparently, equal maple flakes. Apparently only maple flakes equal maple flakes. Adding 3/4 of a cup of honey to this recipe gives you a gooey, almond-studded floopy mess that sort-of-maybe resembles cobbler. If you squint. And don't actually put it in your mouth.

On the bright side, awful as it was, I learned that I've got more resolve than I initially thought I did. Once I realized that carbs in honey don't equate to the carbs in maple flakes... well, I just tossed the whole "pan". (Not the pan itself. That is my precious baby and I need it for other, not hormonally-induced-insane-type cooking.)

Lowcarb4me is offline Junior Member
    I can vouch for these, they are awesome! Almoroons | Cook Primal Food

I tweaked my version by adding powdered stevia ONLY (no maple syrup) and the fresh grated rind of an organic lemon. I even shared a couple with regular SAD-eating friends and they went nuts for them.

If you're metrically challenged I would be happy to share my own version in ounces :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12