Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My children's myopia is stopped - dead in its tracks! page

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member

My children's myopia is stopped - dead in its tracks!

No more progression, even though my 12 year old is at the age I was when myopia was progressing most rapidly, to end up at nearly -7 on the scale. DaddyGrok is around -6. But here's the scoop:

2006 - 1.50 & 2.25, .75 astigmatism
    2007 - 3.00 & 3.50, .75
    2008 - 4.50 & 5.00, .75
    2010 - 5.50 & 5.75, NO astigmatism
    2011 - 5.75 & 5.75, no astigmatism. (all the numbers should have negative signs, btw, in case you care, lol)

Her slightly stupefied optometrist said there is no need to change her prescription, and declared this pretty odd for her age and family history and personal history. He seemed skeptical about my discussion of sunlight & excess carbohydrates, but said, "Whatever you're doing, don't stop!

My 9 year old son's progression went like this:
    2010 - 2.50 & 2.75, 1.25
    2011 - 2.75 & 3.00, 1.75

He, too, didn't change enough to get a new set of glasses. At this age, my daughter's Rx was getting stronger by 1.50 per year. This is huge!

My blog has the relevant studies that inspired me: Love Your Mother - E FP TOZ LPED PECFD I didn't significantly change their sunlight exposure until the last month or so, and dd gets far less than the boys. In our family's case, I think it's dropping the grains, which we first decreased dramatically three years ago and dropped altogether about 9 months ago. My son has slightly less compliance with this, and maybe that explains his slight progression.

I'm so thrilled - I have three more children to try to raise myopia-free. And now I have hope!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I'm myopic as well and it was fairly abrupt that when I stopped eating crap, my vision plateaued and I haven't had a prescription change in at least three years... if not longer.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

My vision hasn't changed in several years, so I didn't expect to see any improvement in myself (although I'd love it if I actually became *less* myopic!), but to see it just halt in my children ... I haven't been so excited since our first dietary change (from CW healthy to WAP real foods) stopped my children's cavities, all of them, at the same time.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Fantastic to have it level off so young, although it should level off eventually anyway. I've had the same correction for at least 20 years now.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Mine didn't stop till I was at least 25. Dh, either. Actually, his didn't even really start till he was in high school and it really took off in college.

I personally think it is removing the grains that did this for us.

kimann79 is offline Member
    That's so encouraging. The eye doctor told me my six year old would need glasses in a few years but I'm hoping her eyesight doesn't deteriorate now.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    good stuff!

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Glad to see such measurable benefits in the next generation. Good job, mom!

norak is offline Senior Member
    It's good news, but I don't think it's uncommon and not necessarily caused by diet change. Could be just normal progress.

My prescription stopped changing when i was around 12-13 (been using glasses since I was 1). My siblings, on the other hand, didn't need glasses until they were 13-14 and 25 (both with myopia and astigmatism), so it really does vary from person to person.

It's also worth noting that as long as they grow the prescription can still change, but it may be a few years down the road.

EricS is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I got glasses in 3rd grade and havent had a prescription change since the end of jr high. It wavers a little bit .25 in either direction on either eye from time to time but I don't know if thats because of differences in my better like this, better like this responses or actual eye-sight changes. Either way its always -3,-4 or a quarter point to one side of the other. I think right now I'm at -2.75,-4 on my contacts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast