Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overhead Press tips? page

bobbitt81 is offline Senior Member

Overhead Press tips?

Primal Fuel
    So I've been working through Stronglifts for about a month now.

I'm progressing really well on most exercises, but I've stalled a couple times on Overhead Press.

The first time, it it was a technique problem. I watched a couple of videos of Mark Rippetoe teaching OH Press, and made my form better.

But I've stalled again.

I'm tall (6'3"), and I have really, really long arms and really tight shoulders. Am I just doomed to be a crappy OH presser, or are there things I can do to get this movement fixed?

Melody is offline Senior Member
    how much are you eating, what do you weigh, what are you lifting, how much are you adding?

I eat quite a bit. Usually start with 2 eggs and 2 pieces of uncured bacon. Sometimes I don't do lunch, sometimes I do, just depends. If I do it's usually some leftover meat and veggies.

Dinner is usually meat (about 1 lb) and a veggie...mostly green, with the occasional sweet potato.

My weight fluctuates between 235 and 240 right now.

I stalled today on 80 lbs.

(Forgot to mention--I've also realized that the power rack at my gym has 2 bars. I think one bar is not an Olympic bar, and that I've used that before in the past and not noticed it. That could explain part of it.)

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Work on flexibility. If your shoulders are tight you can't get under the bar to drive it up and you stall.

Yeah. I've been doing some stuff from MobilityWOD...I worked my shoulders with a lax ball last night hoping that it would help. I definitely plan on keeping that up.

Grafter is offline Senior Member
    Have you looked into any exercises/ equipment for strengthening the area and increasing flexibility? Since as Indian clubs, mace training and even some of the sledgehammer exercises.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Also, OH press is one of those movements that tends to progress slowly, so be patient with it. Shoulder mobility will help quite a bit, though. The ball work helps. You can also get a length of dowel or a broomstick and do shoulder rollouts with it (hold overhead as you would for OH squats, bring all the way down in front and then back overhead and all the way down in back, repeat). Doing a set of 10 rollouts a couple of times a day has made a big difference for my mobility.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    You can also try adding in some Push Press and Push Jerks to get comfortable handling more weight.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    80 lbs plus the bar or no? An oly bar is 45 lbs (give or take a little). Switching between the bars is not a good idea. Pick one and stick to it.

How often are you pressing? More than once a week? (I wouldn't). Same day as bench press (again, not a good idea). Pressing is the slowest of the big lifts to progress since you are using a much smaller muscle base. Do you have fractal plates so you can go up 2.5 lbs at a time instead of 5 lbs?

Also, you may want to up what you eat. At 240 or so, it doesn't look like you're getting 240 g of protein, which you really need to progress.

Also, if you follow Coach Palfrey's advice, I wouldn't do push press on the same day as pressing. They're different exercises and you don't want to get sloppy on your press just to hoist more weight as you can with the push press. You'll put more weight up but you won't necessarily be getting stronger since you're using leg power to generate bar movement.

And +1 on increasing shoulder mobility. Very important.

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I used to have issues with the press on a similar program. Check this one out as a possibility - it's allowed me to zoom past my old 'sticking points' in both the bench and the press.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast