Thread: Newbie needing advice page

jammiedodger is offline Junior Member

Newbie needing advice

Shop Now
    Hi all,

Im just after finishing reading the book and have started trying to go Primal properly over the past few days. There are a few things I'm still not sure about, for example if I'm eating the right things or too much or too little of anything for weight loss. I am 25, 5 foot 5 inches and weigh 147lbs but am typically apple shaped and have lumps and bumps in all the wrong places! :-( I'll post up my diet over the past three days to see if theres anything Im doing right or wrong! I am a teacher so with structured breaks during the day and then an early home-time I feel I am eating maybe too much because its breaktime and my only chance or else I am home early and am bored!

Monday:

Breakfast: 2 eggs mashed up with real butter and salt. Cup of tea with milk
    Break: Made up a sandwich bag of nuts (almonds, cashews, hazelnuts) along with sultanas and some dried cranberries
    Lunch: Salad with rocket, cucumber, carrot, pepper, chicken slices, avocado, red onion and low-fat salad cream
    Dinner: Chicken breast with skin on, swwet potato mash and coleslaw
    Dessert: Strawberries with fresh whipped cream
    Piece of 74% dark chocolate
    Snacked on slice of parma ham

Tuesday:

Breakfast: two eggs mashed up with butter, tea with milk
    Snack: bag of nuts and sultanas and dried cranberries, slice of parma ham
    Lunch: Same salad as Monday
    Snack: Mango and strawberries chopped up with organic greek yoghurt
    Dinner: Brocolli with butter, two lamb chops and asparagus
    two pieces of dark chocolate

Wednesday:

Breakfast: no eggs left so had two left over lamb chops cold and fried a sausage in butter. Nectarine
    Snack: Cashews, hazelnuts and almonds. Treat day in work so had a mini milkyway bar and some gummy bears! :-(
    Lunch: Leftovers from fridge really: celery, carrots, sweet pepper, mozzarela, raw mangetout, salami and guacamole.
    Went out to meet friends and had a mocha with steamed milk
    Dinner: Chicken breast stuffed with basil and cream cheese wrapped in pancetta, cauliflower mash and brocolli.
    Two pieces of dark chocolate.

So how am I doing? I understand the basics (as in no grains) but am finding it hard to know how many carbs are in different vegetables or fruits or if I'm eating too much eggs, nuts, butter etc?

I also go to a dance class once a week for an hour. I know I'm not supposed to be doing crazy cardio but I really enjoy it. I have yet to start sprinting or properly lifting weights (bought a kettlebell and dvd) but I do a strength and stretching class for an hour as well with lots of planks, pushups, some yoga and abs work as well. Is this alright?

I apologise for the ridiculously long post but wuld really appreciate feedback to see if I am anywhere near to being on the right track.

Thanks in advance!

Solldara is offline Senior Member
    Only early days for me but I'd suggest cutting out the nuts and dried fruit for a start and replacing it with protein if you're hungry - ie cook 2 chicken breasts for tea and take one cold for a snack the next day.

Personally I also empty your cupboards and cut out the dairy - but that's personal choice.

Key things for the first few weeks is get into a kind of routine and control the sugar highs - you can always tweak the diet as you go depending on your weekly results - but including too much fruit and dried fruit at the start will make this harder.

Nuts are very high calorie so great when you're at your goal weight but I'd go easy on them for a start till you find how you're doing weight loss wise.

Hope this helps and good luck groking

Paleobird Guest
    You're doing pretty good. I would suggest eating bigger meals and cutting out the snackage. Dr Kruse explains the rationale for this and it is referenced in several threads regarding leptin.
    Also I would recommend cutting back on the fruit and the nuts, just for a while, not forever. Also, this is an individual n=1 thing but I really found that cutting out the dairy completely kick started my weight loss.

Keep at it. You are well on your way.

p.s. if you must have your chocolate fix (says the fellow junkie) try transitioning to a higher % cocoa one. Lindt makes a really good 90%

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I'll start the critiquing for you and since you're looking to lose weight:

1. Cut way back on the nuts and dried fruits. They are yummy but very high in calories. A few goes a long way. In fact, if you have a bit of meat protein with your breakfast eggs, you should be able to make it to lunch without snacking.

2. Are you having a whole avocado in your lunch? Half is probably enough. You could have the other half at dinner if you wanted.

3. Consider cutting back on the milk in your tea to just a splash (not 1/4 to 1/2 cup like some do).

4. Don't use 'low fat' products. If you can't find a primal recipe for salad cream, consider switching to olive oil vinaigrette. Make sure your greek yogurt has the highest fat content you can find. If it's 0 fat, don't eat it.

5. Work really hard on cutting out the snacks. Eat a little more at your meals if you need to, but a 4-6 hour break between meals is better for you than eating every 2 hours.

Your exercise level seems to be ok but try and fit some slow and steady walks in of at least 30 minutes per day.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

jammiedodger is offline Junior Member
    Thanks guys, that's really helpful! I'm going to try cut right downon the nuts and sultanas for snacking from now on. Really only ate them to prevent me from eating anything else at that time as everyone is eating around me so I could replace them with a big breakfast or maybe even some chopped up veg? I didn't realise fruit and dairy would prevent the weightloss. By cutting out dairy would this include all butter, milk, cream and yoghurts or are any of these still ok if they're full fat? What about quinoa by the way? I was going to make a Thai red curry with prawns and use this as a rice substitute for dinner tonight? Would that be ok?

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    A dance class for an hour once a week is not chronic cardio. I second the suggestion to start walking more.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Some people eat quinoa... some eat a small helping of white rice. Butter, cream, and yogurts (as long as they are 'full fat') are acceptable as long as you aren't watching your calories too closely.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Solldara is offline Senior Member
    Bit late to reply regarding the "rice" but we now have cauliflower "rice" when I do those kind of meals - goes great with chilli as I cooked last night or green thai curry which I did the week before - both 100% primal btw.

Anyway try finely chopping mushrooms and onions (and peppers if you fancy them) and gently frying them till they are cooked.

Add into this a whole cauliflower grated (which does make a mess if you do it manually) or finely chopped if you use a food processer.

Stir it about to get it completely mixed and after a few mins of mixing on the heat take it off and just let it absorb the flavours.

The cauliflower should still be crunchy but hot all the way through - then use like normal rice - its tasty enough that my husband had gone from saying "I'm not eating that" when I first suggested it to finishing his plate every time I cook it

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Just wanted to add to the chorus saying don't snack, and eat bigger meals so you are not tempted to snack. Two eggs is really nothing, you know, try at least three. Nuts are your enemy for weight loss, they have an unbelievable amount of calories and are not as filling as they should be.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/