Thread: Breakfast for the Low-Lectin Primal type? page

Jello Butt is offline Junior Member

Breakfast for the Low-Lectin Primal type?

Hiya,
    Been Primal for about four months now. Originally started the process as a potential relief for Psoriatic Arthritis, but despite making me look hawt it has had no effect on my inflammation whatsoever. That said, I want to take the next step by minimizing my lectin intake as I hear this may also help. That shouldn't be too much of an issue (though I will miss you Mr. Tomato) with the exception of breakfast. Can't eat cereal. Can't bagel. Can't eat eggs. Can't eat yogurt/dairy. That pretty much leaves fruit, which I am trying to minimize to continue my awesome fat reduction.

I'm also IFing when I can which helps remove breakfast as a meal in general, but sometimes I want to eat in the morning, ya dig?

Anyone out there on a low lectin diet that can offer up some breakfast food ideas?

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jello Butt View Post
    ... breakfast. Can't eat cereal. Can't bagel. Can't eat eggs. Can't eat yogurt/dairy. That pretty much leaves fruit, which I am trying to minimize to continue my awesome fat reduction.
    Hmmm ... it does leave meat, fish, and vegetables.

Any ideas from the recent post the hairy-faced one (Stabby, the primal raccoon) posted on the board yesterday? Great article on the islanders of Vanuatu. Here's a sample of what they eat:

Breakfast - Tea & starchy vegetables (slow cooked in coconut milk)

Lunch (if eaten) - Meat/Chicken/Fish with starchy vegetables. If a main lunch meal isn't eaten, then fruit and/or coconut is eaten throughout the day. Another alternative (described as the island equivalent of 2-minute noodles), is quick-cook cabbage with coconut milk.

Dinner - Meat/Chicken/Fish with green and/or starchy vegetables
    That Paleo Guy: The Diet and Lifestyle of the People of Vanuatu: Paleo in Paradise

The dinner menu would be a good breakfast option: Meat/Chicken/Fish with green and/or starchy vegetables

Just maybe scale it down a bit in quantity if you don't want that much early in the day. Say a few ounces of smoked fish—cold hot-smoked trout, for example, is great. With that you could have perhaps some steamed asparagus (with a knob of butter on that, so you get enough fat) and perhaps some sweet potato on the side. Or you could do, say, meat and greens and a piece of fruit.

If you can make, or buy, beet kvass, a small glass of that is quite nice in the morning, goes well with a lot of breakfast dishes, and has good bacteria.

You could also have a few nuts, or some nut milk, too. That's another option. But pre-soak the nuts in salted water for at least 7 hours first, as they contain lectins.

Jello Butt is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Smoked salmon...you're onto something there. Better with tomato, capers, and cream cheese, but I'm sure I can come up with some concoction. good idea!