Thread: New here page

icefshnak Guest

My wife and two kids and I have been doing the P90X videos for the past few weeks. We've been derailed a few times with illness and injuries but we're hanging in there. As we're going along here I've felt like I've been leaving some potiential weight loss or positive gains...on the table due to undisciplined and unprepared eating. I asked a friend for advice and he pointed me here.

We live in Colorado (actually just moved here from Alaska in July) so the opportunities for fresh fruit and vegetables are immense. Next summer we'll be growing a lot of our own and canning for the non-growing season.

Of the 4, my wife and I feel we are in the biggest need for weight loss. My daughter is good and my son is just a scrawny guy (but has those 6' genes in him so I anticiapte he'll fill out as he gets older.

I've purchased the book and am only about half way through it. I must admit I'm not the best on a rigid diet regimine. Mark's ideas seem easier to manage but I got to tell you...I'm the only one excited about it.

Looking for ideas of items to stock the pantry (part of the being prepared portion), recipes, and ideas how to slowly change the family over to a much better eating plan. The kids gravitate to the snacks. We generally grill, bake, or crock pot our meals so home cooked fried food has never really been a problem. Our biggest hurdle is the quick meals inserted in the busy schedules...aka fast food.

Prior to coming here I had purchased probably every low-carb, low-cal, sugarfree recipe book known to man or woman. As the cook in the family I've sort of pushed the meals on them because well....I'm the cook lol. And we've incorporated a 3 bite rule in the house so if they really hate it...there's always leftovers .

If any of you have advice of where to begin...I'd take any and all. Thanks and nice to meet you all.

Tim

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Welcome!

I would suggest you make small modifications to your diet as it is. Cut any sugar, and skip the pasta/bread/rice.

This doesn't mean you have to ditch the meal, just the meal delivery device! lol So spaghetti becomes meat sauce on broccoli, or mushrooms, or spaghetti squahs, or calliflower, or on the plate with some eggs poached in it...

Add virgin coconut oil to your pantry and start cooking things in it, in butter, ghee, bacon fat, lard etc.

As your cooking habits change, your meals will change too!

My meals are now mostly meat, with a side of veg. (Usually salad, but that is just personal preference)

Avoid processed foods, as they are usually loaded with HFCS, and other additives that you will want to avoid.

Take it slow, and enjoy the changes. I love that I am unshackled from the restraints of carbs. My meals are so much more fun, creative and delicious.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

icefshnak Guest

Cool idea! Just eliminating the big stuff has helped a lot. We've always been meat eaters and use dairy very sparingly (in fact if it says skim on it...the kids won't touch it haha) I have added chicken and seafood to the menu as of late. I'm the only fish eater but they love shrimp/crab and I'm allergic so its a trade off.

So no carb/low carb is much, much different than low fat as I'm gathering. With the intense workouts I think some carbs are going to be in order...but the question is where besides veggies and fruits would be the best place to pick them up?

All rice is out or just white rice?

I've left bags and bags of nuts around hoping the kids would eventually start eating them. I think they'll come around once all the junk is gone.

I saw someone mention dark chocolate on here....I've got a can of unsweetened dark chocolate. Anyone have any ideas to help fill that sugar void for the kids?

Tonight's dinner is crock pot beef roast loaded with peas, carrots, onions, garlic....corn, and potatoes. Gonna be hard to see the taters and corn go. Slow cooked in 2 cans of beef broth and a cup of water. Celery salt and pepper added for flavor.

Is the above meal headed in the right direction?

Ok, so for dinner tonight, you are not eating corn or potatoes? Good stuff. Why not try mashed califlower? It is super yummy with butter, some roasted garlic and a bit of parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. I add a bit of cream cheese too, but not everyone does well with dairy so do it how you like.

Or here is my recipe for awesome mashed califlower that pairs so wonderfully with beef:

3 large heads of califlower, steamed

1/2 onion and 4 cloves of garlic, diced and carmalized either in the pan with the roast or in a frying pan.

1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

1/2 teaspoon ground dried thyme

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

2 tablespoons prepared horseradish

salt and cracked black pepper to taste

1/4 cup softened butter

1/4 cup cream or coconut milk

Mash the califlower with the butter and cream, and mix in other ingredients. (I usually puree the onions and garlic with the other ingredients and then add, but that's just a personal preference.)

Sweet treats for the kiddos:

primal brownies

1 heaping cup almond butter

4 eggs

1/2 cup cocoa powder

1/2 cup honey

1 tbsp vanilla

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt (more if you use unsalted almond butter)

chopped nuts

Mix the almond butter until smooth, add eggs, then add everything else. Fold in nuts, pour into greased 9x13 pan and bake at 325 for 35 min.

Coconut chocolate bark

1/2 cup coconut oil

heaping 1/4 cup cocoa powder

chopped nuts

Blend oil and cocoa together, add nuts and pour into dish. Chill till firm and cut into squares.

Ok, as for carbs for workouts, don't go for rice, go for Grok friendly carbs like fruit, sweet potatoes, etc. An after workout smoothie with a banana, coconut milk, spinach and frozen berries is yummy!

Grok on!

-John Lennon

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Once you get by the initial withdrawl symptoms... the fat is all the energy you need.

For snacks (if not trying to lose weight), I use almonds, fruit and cheese slices. Breakfast is eggs... period. Lunch is generally leftover from dinner or a salad with leftover meat... dinner is MEAT and veggies. I drink whole milk and cook with butter.

Life is a lot better now

icefshnak Guest

Thanks, I'll give that a shot! Whole milk? My kids will be in heaven!

g2baker is offline Member

I use 1/2 and 1/2. Hardly any carbs! But I'm trying to loose weight so I don't indulge too much. Coconut milk is awesome too.

@ lil Thanks for the recipes! When I want to do the extra work I will have to do the caramelized onions and garlic pureed into the cauliflower. What I've been doing now is microwaving one head of cauliflower (chopped into smaller flowerettes) add some butter and whipping cream and puree it all together. I'm in heaven its so good. Way to one up the notch on the flavor index. Since changing my diet, the kids have not even noticed. They just eat what's in front of them!

I've never tried it in the microwave, I'll have to give it a shot on nights I'm strapped for time!

check out my new blog

http://gourmetinterrupted.blogspot.com/

I'm going to be sharing primal grain free recipes.

-John Lennon

g2baker is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Thx I will check it out! Sounds like you have some great ideas and recipes. Very note worthy.