Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muscle cramps page

Glenn is offline Senior Member

Muscle cramps

Primal Fuel
    I assume this is happening because of all the walking, sprinting etc because I never had these before. More often then not, I wake up in the middle of the night because of a muscle cramp on the front side of my leg, happens to either leg.

It does not hurt nearly as much as when the calf cramps up, but it's still annoying. I know the secret to getting rid of the calf one is to point your toes towards your knee and that does the trick (for me at least) but I've yet to find out how to stretch just right to make this one go away.

Just to be even more clear, it's the muscle to the side of your shin bone, on the outer legs not the inner. Any ideas on how to get rid of this when it happens, or better yet, stop it from happening at all? Like I said, it doesn't hurt as bad as the calf ones, so I could live with it if I had to.
    Height: 6'2
    Primal start date: April 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 300.4 lbs
    Current Weight: 226 lbs (1/16/2012)
    Goal weight: 205 lbs
    Total lost so far: 74.4 lbs

Digby is offline Senior Member
    I've walked 4 miles a day for most of the past 30 years, and periodically have to take potassium supplements per my docs recommendation since I don't do bananas. That's always done the trick.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Move-Oholic is offline Junior Member
    Hi glenn,

Yeah, thats a hard muscle to stretch. Its like the ankle isn't double jointed enough to stretch it. I've played around with different angles to see how to actually stretch it and I've found that the best stretch in that muscle that I can get is by starting in a kneeling position, lean back while keeping knees together as much as possible and if you can, get your hands under your feet to help pull them in order to stretch those shin muscles as much as possible. I know that what I described is primarily a quad stretch but it seems that the body weight and the leverage helps.

I hope more answers come up, I curious myself

Kymma is offline Senior Member
    Magnesium is the only thing that works for me. I have noticed since greatly limiting carbs it happens a bit more in strange places. I am taking magnesium citrate every day and it helps. I usually get really bad toe cramps. Magnesium is the only thing that has ever helped me. With the toe cramps I have to take a 5-6 pills to get relief, so just use regulr magnesium in those cases, bc citrate will clean you out (they give high dosage before colonoscopy).

Hot baths work good too.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    I'd heard that if you put a little mustard just under your tongue, it helps. Last night, I was up at 2:30 with excruciating cramps from the knee down that would not release and I tried it. It worked??!!

I'm going to up my magnesium as the other posters said, though. I already take a decent amount, so I'll probably add some potassium, too.

Good luck to ya.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

wozz is offline Junior Member
    unfortunately, that sounds like this: Anterior compartment syndrome of the lower leg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd talk to a doctor about it.

Thanks for the replies and info. Guess I can get a magnesium and potassium supplement. I eat a banana on my workout days, I might start eating one daily, will keep an eye on my weight loss though as well.

@move-oholic, thanks for the stretch idea, I'll try it out next time and hopefully it works. So far I've had to just wait for them to go away, the longest one has latest about 10 minutes, it'd go away for a few seconds and come right back.

@Wozz, wow that is pretty scary, I would hope it's not something that serious. I'm just getting normal leg cramps I do believe. I'm not experiencing any pain, tenderness, or swelling in the area.
    Last edited by Glenn; 06-22-2011 at 09:32 AM.

Mustard: A Cure for Cramps? | Nutrition | Core Daily | Core Performance

I learned about that during a mountain bike race and I saw someone sucking on a mustard packet in the middle of the race. Cheaper than a lot of supplements designed for the same thing.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    @glenn, yeah hopefully it's not that serious, I just happen to know someone that had that problem and had to have surgery to fix it. It ended up working fine though and fixing the problem. It just reminded me since it's the only time I heard someone complaining about that side of the leg instead of shin splints.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast