Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carb re-feeds... my experience page

lolov is offline Senior Member

Carb re-feeds... my experience

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I started to doing two carb re-feeds per week a few weeks ago in an attempt to get my body to let go of fat stores. I do crossfit on M/T/TH/F so I have been doing higher carb/lower fat on Mondays and Thursdays. After just a few weeks, I've lost a pant size (which hadn't happened in the 10 months that I've been doing Primal, even with a whole 30.) Plus, my workouts are much better now. I have more energy, my strength is increasing (more on this in a moment) and my recovery is faster. An additional thing I've noticed is that I am hot a lot more often... as in, my body temperature is running a full degree higher as a general rule (I've always assumed that it was my thyroid issues that caused my body temp to run at about 97.4 - for the past twenty or so years since I've paid attention... but now I wonder if it was thyroid + metabolic derangement?)

Re: strength gains, I've been doing a Wendler Cycles for the strict press and back squat. The first time I did the 4 week cycle, I wasn't carb re-feeding and I gained a measly 5lbs on both. This time, I haven't tested out yet (next week is de-load, then test the following week) but this week, I was able to bang out 6 reps at my 95% on both sp and bs (last time, I could eek out two on the sp and three on the bs... and I do mean eek out LOL.) I can't wait to test out and see a nice jump in my 1 rep max on both.

So, for me at least, the carb re-feed seems to work for both fat loss and fitness gains. I'm happy with the results Oh, and if you're wondering, I'm getting my carbs on re-feed days from sweet potatoes (mostly), a bit of rice (mainly in sushi), and once in a blue moon a white potato.

I hope that helps someone else who might benefit from re-feeds or higher carbs in general. Thanks to Choco Taco for all the help!!

Digby is offline Senior Member
    What do these refeeds look like?
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Joe G is offline Junior Member

Yes, please give details!

Congrats. This is really interesting and something I'd like to try to break my own weightloss plateau. (I've been primal for 1.5 years with most of the weight loss in first 2 months... now I'm probably 15 lbs from being lean.) Are you doing re-feeds in the post-workout window or all day? Are you training in fasted state (as per LeanGains)? When you say you eat primal does that include fruit or (like me) were you experimenting with minimizing ffruit as a plateau-busting means?

Hvrafnur is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    What do these refeeds look like?
    +1

kmc
    kmc is offline Member
    Awesome man! I just started doing refeeds recently and can already feel an improvement in energy and recovery. Hearing that it also helped you drop another pants size after a lengthy plateau is also very very encouraging!

Thanks for sharing your experience with it!
    My Journal
    Fat Kid Turned Personal Trainer, Nutrition + Lifestyle Coach
    http://www.kentmccannfitness.com to contact me!
    Also on Twitter, FB, and Fitocracy!

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    chicken breast
    potatoes
    rice
    piece of fruit or two
    buffalo or game lean meat
    fish
    shrimp
    any veggies you want but no fat
    tuna

no cooking oil, no added fats and surely i would stay away from fat free dairy stuffs horrible for you

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Look to these Peruvian recipes for delicious ways to carb-refeed, both high carb minimal-ish fat...

- Ceviche

- Causa

Both have fish as the protein source (ceviche can be made with quite a few kinds of fish, causa is typically made with tuna, but it can be made with chicken also, never seen it done with beef)

Ceviche in particular is the SHIT. Very easy to make, only thing is its something you want to eat that same day, according to my mom, fish in lime juice shouldn't be kept for more than a day so unless you're doing back-to-back refeeds you might want to not make too much.

If I wasn't such a lazy cook I'd be dabbling in this as well, if I eat what's made at home it's usually both high carb and high fat (or moderate fat, but high for carb refeed purposes) but soon enough I'll have a real go at this.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    chicken breast
    potatoes
    rice
    piece of fruit or two
    buffalo or game lean meat
    fish
    shrimp
    any veggies you want but no fat
    tuna

no cooking oil, no added fats and surely i would stay away from fat free dairy stuffs horrible for you
    So your carb refeeds are then always low fat? What is the rational for the low fat?
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    So your carb refeeds are then always low fat? What is the rational for the low fat?
    If I recall correctly (which I may not...) ti's two-fold: Firist, fat "blunts" the insulin/leptin boost that the carb refeed aims to produce, and second to keep overall calories from being too high though I think the first one is most important given that people doing carb refeeds should be on the leaner side already and should be able to afford higher cal days.

trippplez is offline Member
    Yes, that is the key to the carb refeeds - almost no fat is allowed (up to 50 grams). If you just "refeed" with carb+fats, it's just a cheat/junk meal/day
    If you are interested in the research and rationale of the carb refeeds, you can search in the Lyle McDonald site articles and forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast