Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone give me the rundown on Fructose Malabsorption... page

OperaDivaMom is offline Senior Member

Someone give me the rundown on Fructose Malabsorption...

Primal Fuel
    before my head explodes! I am trying to read like 1000 different sites, and they all have different information! Eggplant is ok on one list, but on another it's banned. A little garlic is ok on one list, none at all on another. I'm losing my mind here!

I have pretty much decided I have this too, in addition to my self-diagnosis of Celiac, and my unconfirmed insulin resistance. I have been on Bee's natural healing diet for over a month, basically full paleo with no fruit, nuts, or sweeteners of any sort, and I'm still having gas and bloating. I realized today that it's happening whenever I have onions, which are high in fructans (I think, I could be wrong). So I'm trying to figure out what I can and can't eat, and I'm in so far over my head!

Anyone want to look over the foods in This anti-candida diet list and tell me what I need to eliminate because of fructose?

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OperaDivaMom View Post
    before my head explodes! I am trying to read like 1000 different sites, and they all have different information! Eggplant is ok on one list, but on another it's banned. A little garlic is ok on one list, none at all on another. I'm losing my mind here!
    KISS: Archevore - Archevore Diet

I have pretty much decided I have this too, in addition to my self-diagnosis of Celiac, and my unconfirmed insulin resistance. I have been on Bee's natural healing diet for over a month, basically full paleo with no fruit, nuts, or sweeteners of any sort, and I'm still having gas and bloating. I realized today that it's happening whenever I have onions, which are high in fructans (I think, I could be wrong). So I'm trying to figure out what I can and can't eat, and I'm in so far over my head!
    Stop eating onions? You can get sulfur from other sources, like eggs. Get some useful blood tests done to find out where your metabolic health is.

Anyone want to look over the foods in This anti-candida diet list and tell me what I need to eliminate because of fructose?

Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    KISS: Archevore - Archevore Diet

Stop eating onions? You can get sulfur from other sources, like eggs. Get some useful blood tests done to find out where your metabolic health is.

Thanks for the quick reply! Already doing everything on the Archevore diet, and I know I need to cut out the onions, it just makes me sad I keep meaning to watch this lecture, I'll watch it as soon as I can!

I'd still like some specific info on fructose malabsorption though.

Grizz is offline Banned
    I agree that Dr. Lustig is a fantastic authority. You should make the time to watch his excellent video asap, I highly recommend it.

However my BIBLE for EVERYTHING on the subject of health & nutrition is Cardiologist Dr. Wm Davis here:
    The official blog for the Track Your Plaque program for heart disease prevention and reversal
    Please do searches on his site for subjects that interest you. Buy yourself a blood sugar meter and test your fasting blood sugar level. It should be less than 100. Also test your blood sugar 1 hour after eating & follow Dr. Davis guidelines. These meters are now less than $20 - you can't afford not to have one. You will discover that wheat, grains, oatmeal are the same as eating sugar, but also have devastating long term effects on the body including celiac disease, diabetes, mental disorders, heart disease, obesity & much more.

grizz

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    How timely as I read several studies related to fructose malabsorption in the past day (though they didn't come with lists).
    Honestly, I wonder if the list is variable per person - for example my father can handle cherries but not blueberries.
    It could also be a variant of malabsorption called sucrose malabsorption (inability to split sucrose into glucose and fructose) and that could be cause by celiac too (the cells that express the enzyme sucrase are on the tips of the villi). Sucrose that isn't split in the stomach by acids gets split by sucrase in the upper small intestine.

Any number of things can be at play here still...

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Just thought I'd add this description from Wiki:

"Fructose malabsorption, formerly named "dietary fructose intolerance," is a digestive disorder in which absorption of fructose is impaired by deficient fructose carriers in the small intestine's enterocytes. This results in an increased concentration of fructose in the entire intestine.

Fructose malabsorption is found in up to 40% of the population of Western countries. This condition is common in patients identified to be suffering symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome, although occurrence in these patients is not higher than occurrence in the normal population. Conversely, patients with fructose malabsorption often fit the profile of those with irritable bowel syndrome. A small proportion of patients with both fructose malabsorption and lactose intolerance also suffer from celiac disease.

Fructose malabsorption is not to be confused with hereditary fructose intolerance, a potentially fatal condition in which the liver enzymes that break up fructose are deficient."
    Fructose malabsorption - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Were you the one I sent the link to the Yahoo group? If not then I highly recommend joining. fructose_malabsorption_australia : Fructose Malabsorption Support Group Mind you, they tend to try to treat FM with a conventional diet, but some go paleo, and there's invaluable info in there. There's also a spreadsheet in the files with the glucose/fructose ration of a bunch of foods.

My own experience is that you have to get to a baseline and figure out what affects you specifically. I have no problem with onions and garlic. I can eat asparagus, cabbage, broccoli and most other cruciferous veg without a problem. Most fruit will always be an issue. I can eat a little bit of watermelon, maybe half an apple occasionally. I was given the breath test but it came back negative. The test isn't all that conclusive, especially if you're in the small percentage that is a methane producer, as I likely am. Do you have diarrhea or constipation? The latter is usually due to methane, in which case the test is pretty much useless unless they test for methane, and most don't.

FM is a matter of degrees and you can also improve somewhat by working on the dysbiosis caused by the malabsorption. When I was living overseas I was able to buy raw sheep's milk which helped as part of a diet to introduce a greater variety of gut flora. I also had my own herb garden and grew an assortment of leafy greens which I ate raw, just rinsed off, for the probiotic bacteria on them. I still eat raw cheese here, haven't gotten a source for raw milk, not sure if I'm going to as I'm doing much better.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Of the top of my head . . . .

The meat is all fine. Of the leafy greens, you may or may not have a problem but most of the fructose is found in the stems or ribs of the leaf. Avoid iceberg lettuce completely. Cut that part off and the leafy part will likely be fine. Try in small amounts first. Cucumbers may or may not bother you. Try removing the seems and pulp, as that's usually the hardest to digest. Peppers should be OK, but again, try in a small amount first. Ginger may cause problems. Asparagus, maybe. Maybe not. Avocado, again, you have to try. I've never eaten much eggplant or okra, so I'm not sure about those two. Green bean are usually OK. Zucchini and other squashes don't bother me. Tomatoes may or may not cause problems as they have pectin. I can eat them, some can't. The key, for the most part, is that it should be cooked. Raw is too prebiotic (except for lettuces), thus feeding the bacteria in the gut so causing problems.

Things that are recommended for intestinal health may cause problems for people with FM. Probiotics, fermented foods, inulin and FOS are all especially bad. Read the labels of yoghurt, sour cream, any dairy product (if you eat dairy) as much of it has additives. Look out for carageenan, FOS, inulin, pectin, xanthan and guar gum.

Nuts, maybe. I can eat nuts as long as they're blanched, so I make my own nut butter, as most store bought (almond butter) is made from whole skins. Hazelnuts are iffy with me. Macadamia nuts are no problem.

As for sweeteners, most are going to be bad. A small amount of regular table sugar should be fine. Agave, honey, most syrups, have a high fructose to glucose ratio, so are off limits.

You may have some "odd" reactions. I can't have much in the way of starches. Potatoes, rice, corn, etc . . . none. Sweet potatoes, OTOH, as long as I don't go crazy.

So yeah, it's frustrating as hell, but gets easier. I had some files that I put together but between a move and my computer needing reformatting I may have lost them. I'll see what I can dig up.

I'm a little confused why some people are telling me to go off grains and wheat, I kind of figured by being here and saying I eat fully paleo with a few restrictions would tell people I'm already completely off grains and dairy.

Thank you js290 for the video, I watched it and it was really interesting! Makes a lot of sense, I love knowing the biochemical science behind why it's bad to eat fructose. I've always known I had a problem with High Fructose corn syrup, I thought it was a corn allergy, but now I know it might just be FM.

Blackcatbone, thanks so much, all of that info is very helpful! My problem is not constipation, so maybe the test would work on me. I'm already not doing dairy, nuts, or sweeteners, stopping fermented foods will be harder though, I love my real fermented pickles! I'll try to stick with leafy greens and obvious safe veggies for now, experimenting with the other ones a tiny bit at a time!

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    A lot of people are onion intolerant due to the sulfur. The organic compound that makes onions strong is in the same family as rotten eggs, mustard gas, skunk scent, and the nasty stuff they mix in natural gas to make it stink. Yum! More onions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast