Thread: Need some suggestions and help page

nitrofish1 is offline Member

Need some suggestions and help

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone, my name is Wes, and I'm new here. I read on another forum of a guy who went on this diet, and I have been trying to come up with my own sort of "diet" but so far I'm not confident that it would cut down completely on the things that my current eating consist of, mostly carbs and meat. But after reading several of the articles on here, it makes sense to me and looks like a great diet. Yet I have a few questions regarding it.

I read that eggs are OK to have?

I'm really picky on veggies, so to put it out there the only ones I read that would be OK with my taste buds would be carrots and radishes if they fit in with this plan, don't think they were mentioned though. But, I am a big fan of fruits and berries.

In a month I am moving two blocks away from a free gym with pool and track, and 3 miles from a large lake, where I could catch fresh fish for dinners. Would it be good to work in some veggies during dinner time or stick to fruit, or is there any downfall with having an abundance of fruit versus low veggies? I really hate to say that I don't like vegetables but that's just the way I've grown up and been.

And my other meat options along with the fish would be along the lines of? I've read of kidneys and the organs being good, but what about the more common cuts such as chicken or ham?

And I'd also like an opinion on the cheater meal. The once-a-week meal where I can go out and have a lavish meal, probably barbeque pork, the sauce there being the only issue really I can see. But I'm going to assume that even for a cheater meal that a pizza would be bad?

Thank you guys, I hope to hear back soon, would like to learn more!

Wes

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Eggs are great
    You might try to find ways of eating veggies. Hint: butter, bacon, cheese, roasting. More
    Some fruit is fine, especially low glycemic ones like berries. Most modern fruits are loaded with sugar, and you need to avoid sugar.
    There is no "cheater meal" in Primal, but you don't have to do it perfectly. As you say, barbecued pork can be fine, depending on the sauce. Some sugar in the sauce isn't going to kill you.
    It would be better to find once a week lavish meals without wheat. There are lots of options.
    Good luck with Primal.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

What fruits would be considered OK?

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Preferred fruits would be blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and strawberries.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

sounds good to me. thanks. i do need to just go buy the book lol

Digby is offline Senior Member
    All the above, but clean up any residual carbs from grains, milk, faux sugar-diet junk. Fruit is more variable, I eat only berries and a small apple on occasion, while others eat moderately of any fruit. You have to learn your tolerances. Some eat no dairy, but others, myself included, do butter, cream, and occasionally greek yogurt. If you are unsure about the content, I recommend the Livestrong.com tracker, others use Fitday, Sparkpeople. Even if you only track a week or two, you will learn a lot. I always eat too much if I'm not tracking. Good luck!
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Well, I was trying to come up with my own diet plan that was along the same lines of less carbs more fruit, until I came across this. But before I start I need to get the book because so far I have my plans for breakfast and dinner covered, now I just need to fill in the hole of lunchtime. But I read that meat and veg stew is a good one for that. Tracking would be a good idea for me, but I'm ready to take the plunge, I keep thinking of the places I normally go out to eat at and how I would make my diet work when I'm out and about.

Thanks alot

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    Mark has lots of good blog posts to go through. Reading the book is excellent but there is a ton of info on this site already. I highly suggest surfing his blogs!

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrofish1 View Post
    Well, I was trying to come up with my own diet plan that was along the same lines of less carbs more fruit, until I came across this. But before I start I need to get the book because so far I have my plans for breakfast and dinner covered, now I just need to fill in the hole of lunchtime. But I read that meat and veg stew is a good one for that. Tracking would be a good idea for me, but I'm ready to take the plunge, I keep thinking of the places I normally go out to eat at and how I would make my diet work when I'm out and about.

Thanks alot
    You can search this site for loads of info, recipes, food options. I find I can eat out just about any place, but try to check out menus ahead of time on line when possible. To some extent, the old sayng holds with regard to food: To fail to plan, is to plan to fail. If I'm unsure of what might be available, I carry my stash of pimal foods I can have before I go or after, so I won't be that hungry or tempted.
    Btw: cold roasted chicken, beef, etc, cheese sticks, raw nuts, are my favorite lunch foods for carrying with me.
    Last edited by Digby; 06-22-2011 at 07:29 AM.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Fruit is high in fructose. If you have weight issues, you need to avoid it except for the occasional handful of berries.

Your tastes regarding veggies will very likely change as you go Primal. Processed food, especially carbs, kills your taste buds. It will come back and veggies will taste completely different to you.

Have you read the book yet? If you haven't, read it. And read Mark's Primal 101 blog series on the front page of this site. There's also a sticky in the forums called "Newbies Start Here" or something along those lines; read that too.

I'd avoid the cheater meal. In a few weeks, if you do this cold turkey, grains will taste like cardboard and you won't want them any more. Give yourself 30 days of doing this 100% by the book, and then decide.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html