Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canker Sores! page

egmutza Guest

Primal Fuel

Ugh. I've been fighting wave after wave of annoying canker sores lately, after more-or-less eliminating them from my life for a whole year by going primal/paleo.

I'm curious if anyone else on these boards struggles with them and has had any success treating them? Here's what I've tried to date:

1. SLS-Free toothpaste (Squigle) - Honestly, I'm not sure this has ever made a difference for me, but many people swear by it. I keep using it because it's a decent toothpaste, and why add an unnecessary trigger?

2. L-Lysine. Again, not sure if it makes much difference. Seems like sometimes taking a dose right when I feel one coming on has helped, but other times not.

3. Folic Acid. Same as above.

4. Saltwater rinse/gargle. Same as above.

5. Eating primal/paleo foods (lots of meat & fat w/limited carbs (30-150g/day)from veggies, berries, and nuts - limited dairy in the form of kefir). This WOE is the only thing that has ever made a noticeable difference, taking me from outbreaks of 5-10 sores at a time, every few weeks to 1 at a time, often several months apart.

The only known food/drink trigger I've been able to isolate is alcohol. Over-consuming wine or liquor usually leads to one or two sores. Beer is even worse.

I'm pretty sure stress and sleep deprivation as likely triggers, but I still wonder if there's not some underlying nutrient deficiency or autoimmune disorder.

I went through a battery of blood tests a few years ago that suggested autoimmune issues (positive ANA, high complements, among others), but no diagnosis was ever given since I don't have any other symptoms. That's what eventually led me to paleo/primal WOE, since the rheumatologists and immunologists didn't really have any answers for me.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

I'm no expert on the subject, but I get them now and then (the little bump on the inside of your cheek/lip, not the outside ones on skin). I have found that mine are mostly due to:

1) accidentally getting the wrong toothpaste - so good for you on that!

2) Stress.

3) Eating a lot of acidic foods in a short period of time... like when tomatoes are newly in season and I go overboard.

Have you been stressed about anything lately? Eating anything more acidic than usual?

Just a couple thoughts. I really have no idea though.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

JamieBelle is offline Member

Is this different from cold sores?

I take 2000 mg L-Lysine each day to prevent cold-sore breakouts. It works for me.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Canker sores seem to run in families, so you might be genetically predisposed. There seem to be a ton of environmental variables triggering them as well.

Since there is a strong link between autoimmune issues and chronic inflammation, you might want to check your o-6 total intake. The overall quantity of o-6 seems to matter as well regardless of the final 0-6:0-3.

Or maybe it's just stress/lack of sleep...

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

bobbylight Guest

"Is this different from cold sores?"

Yes, cold sores are herpes simplex. I don't know what Canker sores are, but they aren't the same.

JamieBelle is offline Member

Yes, I know what cold sores are. I have occasionally heard people use the terms interchangeably and was trying to determine what it was the OP was referring to.

but thanks.

nina_70 Guest

For me it's almost always a stress issue...at least since going Primal, I only ever get canker sores from stress. I've certainly heard L-lysine can help (altho' no personal experience). Also, I do take fish oil supplements and I feel those help control my overall/general inflammation issues.

bobbylight Guest

Now I am confused, because it seems like some people are using them interchangeably.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

canker sores are on the inside of the mouth/cheek.

Cold sores are herpes blisters that occur on the outside of the mouth.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

My brother gets canker sores often, and I recently had him try alum on them. He is very happy with how the alum clears them up, and now carries a little container of it in his car so he always has it with him! lol

You can get alum at the grocery store, near the cream of tarter and other baking stuff. It tastes VERY sour. You just dab some onto the cankers and let it sit there as long as you can.

HTH!

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast